Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month we have been getting between 8-17mpg on our rated 55/54 mpg 2019 Ioniq Hybrid Limited (US).
-what are your real life fuel economy numbers?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jees that's really bad. UK owner here, Ioniq Premium SE 72.2 MPG during summer months, 65.9 in a relatively mild winter for Scotland. Worst MPG I have had was 52MPG lots of short trips, and in a bit of a hurry at the time,, so was pretty much driving it like I stole it for a week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For the last 4 days (800 miles) I’ve had roof bars and a set of ladders on my car and I’m still getting better than 55 UK mpg.

Something is very wrong with your car, I think a dealer visit is urgently needed!

·
Registered
192 Posts
2019 SEL HEV here. Over this winter the car has returned between 52 and 58mpg - mostly towards the lower end of that range in the coldest temperatures. If temperatures are above the high 40s, the car will return 60+mpg in city driving.

Steel188 is right - numbers like that indicate a distinct problem that should be investigated and resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the last month we have been getting between 8-17mpg on our rated 55/54 mpg 2019 Ioniq Hybrid Limited (US).
-what are your real life fuel economy numbers?
I got my Ioniq (2019) about a month ago. Currently at 35 mpg, but I have gotten up to 42 with long trips. Since I do a lot of short trip stop & go driving, I do not know if it is that or something else causing the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How fast are you going, what is the temperature, and what size are your wheels?
Generally, I go 55 mph at the fastest. Average trips: ~5-10 minutes each.
Temperature: Crazy!! 60 degrees Fahrenheit high one day, 30 the next. Recently got down into the 20's. Most of my driving takes place during the coolest and warmest times of the day. 7 AM and 2-4 PM.
Wheel size:
225/45R17
Diameter : 25.0"
Width : 8.9"
Wheel : 17" x 7-8.5"
Sidewall : 4.0"
Circum. : 78.4"
Revs/Mile : 808

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long are you parked? A police cruiser gets **** mileage when parked and idling all day.
I do not idle that often. I have recently reduced my idling by putting on my seatbelt and configuring Bluetooth before starting the vehicle. This has helped my gas mileage a little bit.

·
Super Moderator
7,904 Posts
Generally, I go 55 mph at the fastest. Average trips: ~5-10 minutes each.
Temperature: Crazy!! 60 degrees Fahrenheit high one day, 30 the next. Recently got down into the 20's. Most of my driving takes place during the coolest and warmest times of the day. 7 AM and 2-4 PM.
Wheel size:
225/45R17
Diameter : 25.0"
Width : 8.9"
Wheel : 17" x 7-8.5"
Sidewall : 4.0"
Circum. : 78.4"
Revs/Mile : 808
there's your problem
the car don't have time to warm up and start using the hybrid system properly
in colder weather (below about 12-15 deg C ) the engine runs to charge the battery to warm the pack, and provide heat to the interior

Also these cars are sensitive to the setting of the AC / climate control, anything over 21deg C or under 17deg C causes the engine to run more to provide more heating / cooling, it is better to set the temp about 20-21 and let the car manage the temp as you don't achieve anything othe then burn more fuel if you whack the temp up thinking it will warm up faster

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's what I was suspecting. I recently went on a 20 minute errand and that alone increased the average by 3 mpg. Once things get started, the average mpg can get well above 45.

Recently turned off climate control altogether to remove that component and that has helped as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
During the 1st 8,000 miles, our`s went up to 67-70 mpg ( UK ) Then it plumeted to 50mpg over 2 tanks of gas...The dealer said as there was NO warning lights showing, they could do nothing ! Thankfully, at its 1st service ( 10,000 miles ) They did a software update, and we are back to 66-68 mpg, now winter , with the heater on etc. .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts