Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month we have been getting between 8-17mpg on our rated 55/54 mpg 2019 Ioniq Hybrid Limited (US).
-what are your real life fuel economy numbers?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jees that's really bad. UK owner here, Ioniq Premium SE 72.2 MPG during summer months, 65.9 in a relatively mild winter for Scotland. Worst MPG I have had was 52MPG lots of short trips, and in a bit of a hurry at the time,, so was pretty much driving it like I stole it for a week.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For the last 4 days (800 miles) I’ve had roof bars and a set of ladders on my car and I’m still getting better than 55 UK mpg.

Something is very wrong with your car, I think a dealer visit is urgently needed!

·
Registered
217 Posts
2019 SEL HEV here. Over this winter the car has returned between 52 and 58mpg - mostly towards the lower end of that range in the coldest temperatures. If temperatures are above the high 40s, the car will return 60+mpg in city driving.

Steel188 is right - numbers like that indicate a distinct problem that should be investigated and resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the last month we have been getting between 8-17mpg on our rated 55/54 mpg 2019 Ioniq Hybrid Limited (US).
-what are your real life fuel economy numbers?
I got my Ioniq (2019) about a month ago. Currently at 35 mpg, but I have gotten up to 42 with long trips. Since I do a lot of short trip stop & go driving, I do not know if it is that or something else causing the issue.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
How fast are you going, what is the temperature, and what size are your wheels?

·
Registered
529 Posts
How long are you parked? A police cruiser gets **** mileage when parked and idling all day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How fast are you going, what is the temperature, and what size are your wheels?
Generally, I go 55 mph at the fastest. Average trips: ~5-10 minutes each.
Temperature: Crazy!! 60 degrees Fahrenheit high one day, 30 the next. Recently got down into the 20's. Most of my driving takes place during the coolest and warmest times of the day. 7 AM and 2-4 PM.
Wheel size:
225/45R17
Diameter : 25.0"
Width : 8.9"
Wheel : 17" x 7-8.5"
Sidewall : 4.0"
Circum. : 78.4"
Revs/Mile : 808

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long are you parked? A police cruiser gets **** mileage when parked and idling all day.
I do not idle that often. I have recently reduced my idling by putting on my seatbelt and configuring Bluetooth before starting the vehicle. This has helped my gas mileage a little bit.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
Generally, I go 55 mph at the fastest. Average trips: ~5-10 minutes each.
Temperature: Crazy!! 60 degrees Fahrenheit high one day, 30 the next. Recently got down into the 20's. Most of my driving takes place during the coolest and warmest times of the day. 7 AM and 2-4 PM.
Wheel size:
225/45R17
Diameter : 25.0"
Width : 8.9"
Wheel : 17" x 7-8.5"
Sidewall : 4.0"
Circum. : 78.4"
Revs/Mile : 808
there's your problem
the car don't have time to warm up and start using the hybrid system properly
in colder weather (below about 12-15 deg C ) the engine runs to charge the battery to warm the pack, and provide heat to the interior

Also these cars are sensitive to the setting of the AC / climate control, anything over 21deg C or under 17deg C causes the engine to run more to provide more heating / cooling, it is better to set the temp about 20-21 and let the car manage the temp as you don't achieve anything othe then burn more fuel if you whack the temp up thinking it will warm up faster

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's what I was suspecting. I recently went on a 20 minute errand and that alone increased the average by 3 mpg. Once things get started, the average mpg can get well above 45.

Recently turned off climate control altogether to remove that component and that has helped as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
During the 1st 8,000 miles, our`s went up to 67-70 mpg ( UK ) Then it plumeted to 50mpg over 2 tanks of gas...The dealer said as there was NO warning lights showing, they could do nothing ! Thankfully, at its 1st service ( 10,000 miles ) They did a software update, and we are back to 66-68 mpg, now winter , with the heater on etc. .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
regardsless how I drive.... we should be getting well above the 10s in MPG. It is also driven about 2 hours daily on the highway at posted speed limits, the hybrid system should of caught up by then each day. I guess a dealer visit is needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We got a UK import, it was long over due a service but we could drive it for short trips on the EV and on the motorway after getting up to speed around 100km(ish) we could get the EV engaged to hold the speed. We only drove the car for about a week and a half before we returned it to the dealer as it had been crashed before we bought it. Though, we were really happy with the car because it was getting around 61-62UK MPG. Amazing, so we figured we'd get another one from a proper dealer.

After we returned the UK trim we got the proper sexy trim of the Hybrid, same year, less mileage from an official Hyundai dealer. The top dog in the country we live in, thing is the EV mode does not want to engage unless you are dragging the car at a really low speed, almost without touching the trottle. Our mileage is currently 5.4Litres per 100km. That's around 54UK MPG. Considering we got used to getting 10 less we figured something might be up

The car feels smoother and drives better but I read somewhere about a recent firmware update that made everyones batteries kinda crappy and borked the MPG.Is there a way of finding the latest version number to see if we're running the proper one

Any advice? We normally have the A/C heating off etc for what it's worth. Just would love to get the MPG back up to the older crappier (but better MPG) version

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The reports of BMS update drops are almost always during late summer and fall when mpg drops anyway. It is possible that the seasonal difference between your UK hybrid and your locally source hybrid is responsible for all the mpg difference you observed. How willingly car goes into EV mode is an indicator of efficiency, and there are huge differences between summer and winter (exacerbated if you use heating on short trips).

Speed is huge too. I've owned my car for two full years now, and for the first time last night, ran at 70 mph for three hours after a wedding to get home by bedtime. Almost zero EV mode (also cold). Worst mpg ever! Usually only max out at 65 mph in the summer, and have been going 57 mph max this winter to get better mpg (which worked well versus last winter at 65 mph).

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ah, sorry. Mixed up which forum I was on! Never mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
''Speed is huge too. I've owned my car for two full years now, and for the first time last night, ran at 70 mph for three hours after a wedding to get home by bedtime. Almost zero EV mode (also cold). Worst mpg ever! Usually only max out at 65 mph in the summer, and have been going 57 mph max this winter to get better mpg (which worked well versus last winter at 65 mph). ''

I've been driving in full Granny mode, blitz and glide and motorways and slow acceleration. Never going over 100km, no heating A/C at all, just a coat and scarf! Just seems funny that the battery charges faster, and runs out quicker than the other car which could keep in EV for quite the distance and was much easier to enter into it and stay there.

The one we have no will jump out of EV at the slightest touch of the pedal

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am driving a Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid, July 2017 with approx. 15000 miles. About 6 weeks ago I noticed that the fuel economy had fallen from 65mpg (UK, Imperial gal.) to around 52-54mpg (from 65mpg in winter). It appears to be holding a lower gear longer than previously and shows an indicated 15-20mpg when driving at 20mph and 25mpg at speeds between 30-40mph. I can change up using the paddles when the mpg improves to 50-55+mpg. A trip to the garage and upon investigation I was told that this is normal and "what did I expect from a 1600cc car!!" They wouldn't accept that there had been a change in performance or that this performance was poor!. However when they drove a similar model they (reluctantly) acknowledged that this wasn't normal.

However they did say they would consult with Hyundai in S. Korea to see if there had been similar reports. Today they confirmed that whilst they hadn't received an explanation or solution, HQ were looking into the problem.

So it seems this may be a recognised problem - but no nearer a solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hate to revive the dead, but I've had my Ioniq about a year and a half now. I've found I get my best gas mileage by sticking around 61-63 mph on open roads and 72-77 mph on highways. I routinely get around 57 mpg (61.8 my last fill-up) during warm months and 46 mpg in cold months. I'm not a real aggressive driver, but I also try not to hold up traffic just to get better efficiency.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts