Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Ioniq owners!

I'm a happy owner of a 2017 Ioniq EV Limited. It's a been a fantastic car so far; and I've enjoyed moving to an EV lifestyle in California.

However, I am noticing that the factory Michelin Energy Savers on the Ioniq tend to skid and lose traction on the road where there are traffic light sensors. It's most evident during braking. I know it's either the car or the tires since I've never encounter this problem in other vehicles.

To give you an idea of the type of traffic light sensor, I've attached two images. They are the inductive loop detectors that are placed in the ground in front of a traffic light to detect the presence of a vehicle. The detectors I encounter are mainly in the highway on ramps. The lines on these detectors are pretty thick, and it's where these lines are that the tires slip when applying the brakes. It even happens during dry and hot conditions. And when it's wet out, braking over these detectors causes the ABS to activate. (I notice the car automatically pumping the brakes.)

Has anyone else dealt with a similar issue with the Michelins or their Ioniq? I'm hoping I'm not the only one. I have a feeling that when it's time to replace these Michelin's, I'll be going with a different tire.

Thanks,
Arnold S.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I blew by a few stop signs when test driving the car, but that's more because my then-daily driver had pretty good brakes, and I was not used to a hybrid's brakes.

I'm still getting used to mine; sometimes I find that I'm pressing too hard, and other times, not hard enough to stop comfortably.

I will probably go with Michelin AS3+ or whatever they're called, or Continental DWSs for my replacements.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My teeny tiny OEM tires handle horribly in any driving situation, except leisure hypermiling.
But I didn't buy this car for handling, ride comfort, acceleration or even braking quality. I knew just from looking and reading the specification of this car that it will be terrible as far as driving dynamics. Any manner of handling or performance improvement will negate everything the manufacture did to save fuel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll be switching over to winter tires (Cooper True North) soon, so I'll keep note of my mileage change. As far as traction with the OEM tires, they are pretty lousy. I can break them loose easily on acceleration, and handling is hilarious. But as iQQi stated, this was a known fact going into this type car. Personally, I'll be going to the Conti TrueContact ( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TrueContact+Tour&width=205/&ratio=55&diameter=16&cameFrom=selectSize&partnum=055HR6TCT )when the Michelins are close to worn out/don't feel safe with them anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will probably go with Michelin AS3+ or whatever they're called, or Continental DWSs for my replacements.
The energy tires from Michelin are quite bad. I switched to as3+ but lots significant range. From 250km in summer I lost 20% range and now barely get 200km on a full charge.

Even the xice3 for winters I use have better grip than the energy tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ouch - that's a huge reduction in fuel economy. Are there any other options? I haven't felt unsafe in the OEM Michelins, and I attribute some of it to getting used to the Ioniq's personality.

So instead of an UHP all-season, go with HP or a touring model?

The energy tires from Michelin are quite bad. I switched to as3+ but lots significant range. From 250km in summer I lost 20% range and now barely get 200km on a full charge.

Even the xice3 for winters I use have better grip than the energy tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ouch - that's a huge reduction in fuel economy. Are there any other options? I haven't felt unsafe in the OEM Michelins, and I attribute some of it to getting used to the Ioniq's personality.

So instead of an UHP all-season, go with HP or a touring model?
Yep in hindsight I should have gotten the Pirelli P7 or the Michelin Premiers.

The energy tires are quite bad in rain. I suppose it depends on how one drives. We are generally not concerned with getting the best economy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I might try the Nokian eNTYRE model. The price isn't bad, and it's supposed optimized for hybrid vehicle applications.

The blog article is from a few years back: https://www.bmwblog.com/2015/04/25/nokian-entyre-2-0-next-generation-premium-all-season-tire/

These tires will also be produced in the US at Nokian's new factory.
Good find, those are pretty inexpensive and have a few good reviews on discount tire. Not sold through tire rack though, to gain a larger sample size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The OEM Michelin Energy Saver tires are unsafe in my opinion, especially in wet braking situations. Buth my wife and I, and a colleague who bought an ioniq have experienced skidding when braking instead of stopping. I ordered a pair of vredenstein tires from tire rack and will be installing the shortly. However, I am now truly concerned about losing a bunch of range, I guess we will see.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I threw snow tires on (Cooper) about a month ago, and my range decreased by about 30 miles, but I think most of that is due to the amount of ICE run time either remote started, or heating the cabin.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm here to say not only did my OEM Michelin Green X tires not skid. They also perform very well on unplowed country roads with 2" of snow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We recently had about 10-ish cms in Toronto. As my winter tire setup wasn't available (nor the appointment), I had to go out in the OEM Michelins.

Colour me shocked, but they did a decent job in the slush and not too bad in the packed snow! After getting a feel for the car's handling in the wet stuff, I only swung wide once in the packed snow. In the the slushy parts, I was able to stop confidently and with minimal drama.

That said, I can't wait for my Continental Vikings to be installed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts