Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the wrong place for this, so if a mod thinks another category is more in line feel free to move it.

I've been looking at purchasing an Ioniq Hybrid, but the D-shaped steering wheel seems to have literally no upsides but be a safety risk based on what I've read online. While my test drive with it wasn't awful, I can think of exactly zero benefits to it and would much rather just have a circular wheel for better and more natural handling.

Anybody have any idea whether or not there's any easy or convenient way to fix this? I'm not sure trying to 3D-print something myself will be safe enough to convince me it's a good idea, would much rather just buy something. Could a wheel from some other car be used to replace the default one without losing functionality? Or would just buying a wheel cover work well enough despite there literally not being any wheel at the bottom?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV Limited
75 Posts
I love my d-shaped steering wheel! Feels very sporty, like many high-end sport cars, and makes it easy to know when your wheels are straight. No downsides that I've experienced. Besides, lots of very handy controls on that wheel. Seems like it would be hard to keep all those functions, which are a nice mix of safety and convenience, with a non-standard steering wheel.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
671 Posts
If you look around, you will see that many, many modern cars have this style of steering wheel. They allow a greater range of vertical adjustment while allowing tall drivers to bring the wheel out and down when the seat is right back on its runners and set as low as possible. Also, in use they allow your sub conscious mind to know that the wheel isn’t straight and as your test drive indicated, within a very few miles, you won’t even notice it.

I certainly wouldn’t even try and change it as it is an integral part of all the driver safety system. Remember the vertical adjustment mentioned above, well that flat bottom also keeps the wheel away from your legs for longer in a crash situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts