Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone encountered any rear windscreen visibility problems as a result of the lack of a rear windscreen wiper on the Ioniq?
I only got mine on Friday and haven't driven it enough yet or in adverse weather conditions to see whether this might be a problem or weather it is high enough above the road not to be effected!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do not feel i need rear windscreen wiper. Actually i do not need rear windscreen at all. I used to drive lorry/truck and motor cycle so there is no middle mirror at all. Same info is visible on a side mirrors too. And when reversing then i use camera of course. This has been same manner with earlier cars too even if there was rear wiper in place.

Good decision from Hyundai to remove it - useless.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree. It's not really needed, even though I initially though otherwise.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have one on my Prius c, which if any of you have been in one, know that the rear view window is very small. Even so, I've used the wiper with the wiper fluid/window cleaner only a handful of times in 2 years, and that was only because it was filthy (after rain) but never was very noticeable during the rain. I don't think I ever used it while it was actually raining. I won't miss it when I get my Ioniq.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Same here. Rain-X is easy to source and apply, seems to solve the problem - at least for the upper half.

Only tip is carry a cloth to wipe the rear camera lens as, while it doesn't seem to pick up the crud in motion, it can get a bit blurry when it's parked in rain.

I use the boot a lot so I keep a cloth in there to wipe the lower glass and camera as part of my routine..

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,865 Posts
Only had one day, when it was raining fairly heavily, and the way the rain was hitting the rear windshield, my view through the back window was one giant blur. But it must have had something to do with the angle of the rain that day, perhaps affected by winds. Never had any other problems with visibility in the rain. As others have said the lower part can get quite dirty, but you can't really see much of anything except the road out of that anyway, when you're driving. And when backing into a space, you have the camera to let you know when to stop.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Exactly. The lower part of the rear window is only useful when the camera is blurred, and never when driving. I have both rear parking sensors and rear cross-traffic sensor, but I like to have some visual control too.

A week ago I was almost hit myself by the car that was parked next to mine, near my favourite pizza takeaway. First I changed my direction a few steps, he continued reversing towards me, not even slow, then I yelled "Hey!", but he continued and I had to jump away. I was carrying a pizza, and it almost didn't survive that, as I regard my legs more important. I yelled once more, this time furiously. He finally got my attention. Don't know if he was seeing anything, any direction, with that dirty, old car. Pizza was delicious.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Only had one day, when it was raining fairly heavily, and the way the rain was hitting the rear windshield, my view through the back window was one giant blur. But it must have had something to do with the angle of the rain that day, perhaps affected by winds. Never had any other problems with visibility in the rain. As others have said the lower part can get quite dirty, but you can't really see much of anything except the road out of that anyway, when you're driving. And when backing into a space, you have the camera to let you know when to stop.
I think you're right about wind direction: I've had a couple of occasions driving in high winds and heavy rain when the rear screen has managed to become re-obscured after being cleared. But with the Rain-X applied pretty much any forward speed above 40 mph seems to clear it, while at lower speeds turning the rear heater back on does the job - usually need that to clear the door mirrors anyway.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I read warnings about Rain-X, especially on the wind screen. It traps/forms droplets in a shape that reflects/refracts sunlight, annoying the driver. And hard to get off once applied. Many here praise it, but I admit I'm sceptical.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I read warnings about Rain-X, especially on the wind screen. It traps/forms droplets in a shape that reflects/refracts sunlight, annoying the driver. And hard to get off once applied. Many here praise it, but I admit I'm sceptical.
I don't use it on car wind screens, as I prefer the pristine clean approach. My car cleaners do like to spray some wax but it washes off.

But I do use Rain-X on motorcycle screens, helmet visors, mirrors, my aviating & marine-use sunglasses as well as my company eyeglasses safety wear and can't say I've noticed any issues like that?

Reactions: BDG

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the only times I have minor issues with rain-x on the front screen is damp misty mornings, you can get a very fine layer of condensation as soon as the wipers clear the screen, but just put the wipers on the fastest intermittent wipe and all is good, within a couple of minutes the heat from the engine / heater stops the mist forming

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't use it on car wind screens, as I prefer the pristine clean approach.
Because my paintwork is treated I don,t use any products containing wax on my car, I use a wax free car shampoo, and I'm surprised how smear free my windscreen is. I have applied rain X to the rear screen once 4 months ago, according to instructions and its still working with rain beading and running off as soon as I move.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in a 3-4 month semi-hard winter area(this year harder than recent years) and I could use a rear window wiper.
I have the rear defroster on way too much and even that doesn't help when road spray becomes hard.
I find myself pulling to the side of the road to get out and wipe it down.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How about a new feature for the Ioniq: Always-on rear-view camera? Then we don't need a rear-view mirror.
BTW, there is already available, a commercial product, a camera-based side-view "mirror", not a mirror of course, with a display screen.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
How about a new feature for the Ioniq: Always-on rear-view camera? Then we don't need a rear-view mirror.
BTW, there is already available, a commercial product, a camera-based side-view "mirror", not a mirror of course, with a display screen.
I certainly would like to have always on rear view camera. I admit it annoys me that they didn't spend like one dollar more for a higher resolution camera.

I looked for side view mirror replacements a few days ago. The only commercial products I found were adding a camera, not replacing the side view mirror.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love in florida, so I really don't have any rear windscreen issues
Hyundai did put defroster coils in both the upper and lower windscreen, plus I have a back up camera, so all is good

1 - 20 of 29 Posts