Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We already did a few road trips (From the Netherlands through Belgium, France, Switzerland and Germany), where we also did a few "sleepovers" in the car, as described in https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/234-hyundai-ioniq-electric-ev/2713-sleeping-your-ioniq-ev-possible.html which was great! We are planning a trip to Denmark, Sweden and Norway this summer, packing a small tent though.

But now we're wondering whether or not a tailgate tent would be an option on the Ioniq. Maybe somebody owns such a tent already? Also wondering if this would create a problem in locking the car and keeping the lights off? We're thinking about the Napier Sportz Dome to go tent, but then we saw these picture of a Chevy Volt with this tent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1CF0WPSZ23CVY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0016DBTNC

What do you think, fellow drivers? :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
With the poor reviews on the Amazon unit, I would think that would not be a good choice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the poor reviews on the Amazon unit, I would think that would not be a good choice.
Only when the car is not a good fit... I see it fits one Prius, but not another one. 4 out of 5 stars is not that bad I think? I've asked Napier via Mail, but no answer yet. I'm afraid the Ioniq isn't that well known yet? Can't imagine why, we really LOVE this car!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So we took the chance...

We ordered the "dome to go", via amazon.de (from the UK). The guy who sells them says he knows ppl with an ioniq, with no complaints... meanwhile I've contacted Napier and they are looking into it right now, after I gave them some measurements. Will let you know all if it's a fit or not (with pics)! As some of you may remember, the Prius Habitent did *not*. (Because it would make camping and road tripping in your Ioniq a lot easier and more comfortable ;-)).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Taking a look at the pictures on Amazon, I think that the tent is designed for the more traditional steep backed hatchback. I doubt that the newer elongated and more aerodynamic shapes like the IONIQ will seal. I hope for your sake I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a fit!

Taking a look at the pictures on Amazon, I think that the tent is designed for the more traditional steep backed hatchback. I doubt that the newer elongated and more aerodynamic shapes like the IONIQ will seal. I hope for your sake I'm wrong though.
Thankfully, the "Dome to go" is a fit for the Ioniq! :) You have to manouvre the tent all the way underneath the car, close to the wheels, and fold the sleeve all the way around the bottom of the car, but then it's a snug fit. We tried it out today :) I'll upload some pictures for you to see... Maybe nice to know for other travellers who like to sleep in their Ioniq like we do, that this is also something to consider :)) :D

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for this information and pictures. Keen to do the same when summer arrives down here in the southern hemisphere.

I have also found a tent made by Rightline gear - SUV tent - not unlike the Napier Dome to go but I can find a local NZ agent selling the Rightline tent but would have to have the Napier one shipped at some cost.

SUV Tent | Tents For SUVs | Van Tent

So question is as to whether anyone has experience of the Rightline SUV tent?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts