Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV Limited, 2022 Tucson PHEV Limited, 2023 GV60 Performance
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the Pulsar Plus for more than a year now with 0 issues charging my two PHEVs and another EV. I now have a GV60 and the charging current fluctuates continuously when I monitor it with the app. This only happens with I use it to charge the GV60. When I use it to charge my Tucson PHEV, it's rock solid at 7.2kW which is the max the car accepts, as was with my previous EV at 9.6kW.

I captured this series of screen shots over a period of 20 seconds or so. It dips down to below 3kW, regardless of what amps setting I set the Pulsar Plus at. As an experiment, I set the car to reduced AC charging current, and it still fluctuates a bit but nowhere near the swing when set at max charging current in the car. It's a bit concerning as I don't know if it is stressing the car's onboard charger or other components if I continue to use it.

I contacted Wallbox with no response. Since this forum is much more active than the Genesis forum I figure I'll ask here, and maybe alert I5 owners using the same Wallbox EVSE.

Font Circle Technology Electric blue Screenshot

Font Technology Circle Electric blue Screenshot

Font Technology Circle Electric blue Logo

Font Technology Circle Electric blue Screenshot

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As you can see on the first post, at the 1hr mark, it only delivered 5.68kWh when it should have been around 7.5kWh.

The screen shot below is after I set the car to reduced charging current, and I set the Wallbox to 36 amps. It delivered almost 7kWh after one hour. With the car set to reduced and the Wallbox at 40 amps, the car requests about 8.5kW and is what the Wallbox delivers according to the app. It does fluctuate down to 5.6kW or so, but again nowhere near the wild swing shown in my first post here.

Font Audio equipment Circle Electric blue Screenshot

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited, Digital Teal
46 Posts
I have similar behavior with a chargepoint home flex. Based on your lack of trouble with other cars, I suspect an issue with high speed level 2 charging in our sibling cars . I've been charging at reduced levels since spring.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have similar behavior with a chargepoint home flex. Based on your lack of trouble with other cars, I suspect an issue with high speed level 2 charging in our sibling cars . I've been charging at reduced levels since spring.
Thanks for the info. So far it definitely points to something with the car.

I have ordered a different 40 amp EVSE with a display to see if it exhibits a similar behavior. I will update with my findings.

·
Registered
Digital Teal Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
42 Posts
My Pulsar Wallbox always charges a little slower then the 9.6kw I have it set at, nothing drastic though, it usually settles in around 9.2 or 9.4. I think it's because of the small size of the charger.

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Lucid Blue LTD
29 Posts
I've used a Pulsar Plus to charge my HI5 since I got it in April. I've NEVER gotten the Wallbox app to show the correct amount of current, either in the display like you show or in the completed summary statistics. But my car charges like you would expect. The Pulsar Plus draws 9.6kW (when set at 40A on a 240VAC circuit). The car's dashboard reports 9.2-9.4kW received (Pulsar's electronics consuming some power), and my OBD2 app shows the battery receiving 8.3-8.4 kW (AC to DC power losses). I believe these power losses are reasonable and typical of today's EV electronics. At the end of the charging session, the time taken is very close to change in battery SOC * 77.4 kWh / 8.4. (This relationship does not hold when charging in real cold weather, which I attribute to the battery heater drawing some current.) So I believe it is an error in the Pulsar Plus's firmware. I've talked to their tech support people a couple of times, and got my first Pulsar Plus replaced under warranty due to this. But neither the 2nd unit nor any of the several firmware updates since April have made any difference in this behavior. Their tech support person (yes, I got to talk to a real tech support person, not just a customer service rep!) said they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. The Wallbox app reports vary, but are typically 5-30% of the kWh I actually receive.

So overall, I'm a relatively happy camper with no regrets about choosing a Wallbox. Looking on the bright side, I have had to use 3 Level2 chargers that I had to pay for. All 3 times, the amount I was charged was waaaaay below the actual amount of electricity I consumed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts