Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey just a FYI to those using spare tire anchored down with the cargo net :).

If you lower the back seat say to get additional cargo into the car and specially if the back seat is not completely lowered to flat and you brake hard, the spare wheel will break free from the cargo net and be almost a you head level in a sec.

Not sure how others are anchoring down their spare tires, but the way I do it, i.e cargo net, is not safe with the back seats flipped forward.

A

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
My spare is under the cargo floor . So yours is floating

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My spare is under the cargo floor . So yours is floating
My 2018 US Ioniq Electric does not have any room under the cargo floor. It does not even come with a spare wheel. I have an after market spare wheel after my episode with a flat a few weeks after I bought it.

A

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd use something much stronger than a flimsy cargo net. First thought is a rachet webbing strap, threaded through the wheel and secured to the anchor points and tightened. However, I seem to recall that someone posted that the anchor points are only plastic, so they are probably not string enough. You may need garage to install some multiple steel anchor points. You certainly don't want a spare wheel flying about.

Cymro

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, 'twas I. The anchor loops are plastic and one of mine has broken.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd use something much stronger than a flimsy cargo net.
With the backseat upright and locked in place, the cargo net spidered over the tire, the jack etc below the cargo floor and cargo slide covering the the tire from view, the entire solution is neat and perfectly safe IMO. The potential hazard is the backseat down and the tire on the cargo floor. I am sure very few of the Ioniq ZEV owners who haul a spare, also carry cargo with backseats down.

I agree, in that case a more robust anchoring solution should be in place. I was hoping someone else has experienced my situation and has a remedy which anchors the tire better that does not extend to metal work

A

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you need the seats down for cargo just pop the headrest out of one of them, stand the spare on edge in a rear footwell between the front seat and a folded down rear seat, then adjust the front seat back as far as you can to wedge it. In a front, rear, or side impact it should be secure enough, only in the exceedingly rare rollover case would I be concerned. You may even be able to load strap it to a front seat anchor point.

Reactions: redpoint5

·
Registered
728 Posts
Is the rear hatch area carpeted? I'd probably go with Velcro on the sidewall.
I wouldn't expect velcro to have enough grip to secure it in a crash, or the carpet fasteners for that matter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stand the spare on edge in a rear footwell between the front seat and a folded down rear seat
This option is not ideal, since I use my ZEV as a multipurpose vehicle, with cargo oneway and maybe people the other with a fairly swift turn around. LOL no shady cross border stuff yet, 28kWh is the damper.

I notice that the 4 floor anchors in the cargo floor are pretty solid. So, maybe a canvas or tarp/tent material square bag , a small version of a flexible car top carrier would be ideal. That way the tire would be in its own container.

A

·
Registered
105 Posts
Years ago, after I had a car converted to run on LPG, I lost my spare wheel well. I used a bungy cord 'spider' hooked to whichever corner the hooks would attach to. Could something like that be adapted to your purpose?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The provided cargo net is a Spider Bungee. Only problem is that we only have 4 anchors on the 4 corners of the cargo area. So on forward motion of the tire, on braking, the tire can easily stretch the front and slip under between the front 2 anchors since there are no anchors between them.

However your suggestion does allow for an adaptation. Run a tight rope between the 4 cargo anchors. That basically establishes a solid base with 4 sides. We can then use the Amazon Bungee to secure all 4 sides since the provided cargo nets just anchor the corners.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may send a pic when done.

A

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wouldn't expect velcro to have enough grip to secure it in a crash, or the carpet fasteners for that matter.
Well I'm silly for not carefully reading the OP regarding hard braking or crashing.

I don't own an Ioniq, so I can't speak specifically to it. My preference would be to forego a spare tire and just carry pliers, a plug kit, and cheap inflator since that covers 95% of leaks/flats. I'd carry a spare if traveling in the woods far from civilization.

The thing that made me think of velcro is the small toolkit I've got in my car. It has velcro that I pressed against the fuzzy wall of the hatch area, and that keeps it out of the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts