Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between the I5 and the MME. I’ve done a ton of research on both, and want the I5 as it seems more practical for us. The ride comfort, warranty, free charging are all such great positives.

However, I like the strong future focus on EV’s by Ford and am concerned about the history of mechanical issues and low consumer satisfaction for Hyundai in general.

At this point, I have an MME base model RWD on order, and am in the queue for an I5 SEL RWD which, I’ve been assured, could be available in the next 30-60 days.

Any input would really be helpful in making our decision. Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Depends on how often you plan to charge using public level 3 charger and I DO believe I5 SEL RWD has quite a bit better range than MME.

MME wasn't ergonomically good for me as the stupid knob in the bottom middle of the screen blocked couple of icons at the bottom and also screen was installed too low, so upper 1/3 was not bad to see, but bottom 2/3 was too low and took away a lot of my attention from driving.

Also felt that the MME's interior felt cheaper than I5 and I5 felt more airy/roomy compared with MME.

Of course, if you are happy with both cars, then it pretty much all comes down to L3 charge speed and range.

That said, if you are planning to do most of your charging at home AND is used mainly for commute and not long distance driving often, I say it is fine car as well. But when you do go on longer trips, you will spend far longer time at the charging station than Ioniq 5.

·
Registered
53 Posts
MME RWD has much shorter range, you will be looking at 200-220 miles under normal condition, if you are in cold weather area it dips to 140-150 miles in the winter. Also MME charge curve sucks, you will be spending a lot of time waiting at charge station if you rely on that. MME interior also feels cheaper, 2nd row seat legroom is smaller and definitely not as comfortable as I5. If you like a more luxurious feel, softer ride, better suspension, I5 is a better choice.

I don't know when you placed order for MME, but Ford is just not capable of building this car in any serious volume. They are way behind in delivery, so at this point I think you could take I5 first when it comes, drive a few months and decide later when MME is due.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your response. If I can be more specific, and it may be an ignorant question on my part, but I’m more concerned with the long term mechanical issues of Hyundai cars in general. Obviously Ford has had their own issues, but I’m wondering if people feel that Hyundai has, in general, made strides in more reliable vehicles. Thanks again

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sure, this is my first Hyundai so I can't speak for its history, or longevity. But for a few weeks I own I5 it seems to hold up pretty well. And there's really not much mechanically that should go wrong (knock on wood) vs traditional ICE car. I feel pretty comfortable owning I5. But again, it's so new, we wouldn't know the reliability until a few years down the road, and that's the same goes with MME. No one knows at this point (besides Tesla), just have to take a leap of faith.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you for your response. If I can be more specific, and it may be an ignorant question on my part, but I’m more concerned with the long term mechanical issues of Hyundai cars in general. Obviously Ford has had their own issues, but I’m wondering if people feel that Hyundai has, in general, made strides in more reliable vehicles. Thanks again
Ford is notorious for bad reliability so if that is your concern, choosing Ford over Hyundai isn't something I would consider a more reliable choice. That said, my in laws drive Kia and Hyundai pretty exclusively. Also, have a friend who drives Kia/Hyundai only as well and I haven't heard anything bad. However, from experience of my in laws, while they did not have a lot of mechanical issues, they did face catastrophic one much earlier than my Honda/Toyota resulting in them buying another car. Now, we are still talking about 13-14 years and I have a friend who had to get rid of his Honda only after 12 years because it died on him so it is all anecdotal. My '06 Honda/Toyota is still going strong and I do not plan on selling them UNLESS I am able to get a hold of F-150 lightning PRO model any time soon.

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
129 Posts
Go to the Mach-E forums and you'll see how "reliable" those cars are to owners. I was one of the first owners of a MME. Honestly, you won't be able to tell any difference between the two, so just choose whatever one looks and drives the best for you. Free charging is cool for 2 years, but only if you want to take the time to charge it at the stations. People will talk bad about those that continually use rapid charging, even though they really have no idea what they are talking about. Mustang people will look down on you because it's not a "real mustang" even though there Mustang is and and always will be a marketing name - trust me, I'm a mechanical designer and all of my products get completely different names when they go to market.

Bottom line, cars have warranties, both have recalls already, so ignore of that and choose what you like the most.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Between the I5 and the MME. I’ve done a ton of research on both, and want the I5 as it seems more practical for us. The ride comfort, warranty, free charging are all such great positives.

However, I like the strong future focus on EV’s by Ford and am concerned about the history of mechanical issues and low consumer satisfaction for Hyundai in general.

At this point, I have an MME base model RWD on order, and am in the queue for an I5 SEL RWD which, I’ve been assured, could be available in the next 30-60 days.

Reliability of both vehicles significantly better than ICE. I am on my 5th EV, all from different manufacturers. No real issues from any, only a 12V battery issue with my ID 4 VW. I didn't purchase the Mach E because of all the off the shelf parts used in assembly. Way to many hoses and complexity compared to other EV's. This video was the dealbreaker for me.
I would recommend Hyundai because of the 10yr warrantee and its platform (E-GMP) is better (also used with KIA EV 6 and Genesis GV60). The I5 is a better engineered vehicle, has a more refined EV powertrain, 800V charging, and is more efficient.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
246 Posts
I've had 50k on Optima and 70k on Genesis before this car. I haven't experienced anything that would question the reliability of these cars. Things break here and there as with every car and they can be fixed. Unless you are unfortunately blessed with a lemon, I don't see any reliability issues with the Ioniq 5. The warranty matters too and no one beats Hyundai's 10 year warranty on the batteries.

·
Registered
221 Posts

The MME is a sports/muscle car..

The Ioniq 5 is a family wagon/hatchback.

Neither are SUVs IMO. That's ID.4, Solterra, XC40 to me

The RWD Mach-E is as fast as a base Model 3 (which is pretty peppy). The Ioniq 5 (and EV6) RWD are basically as slow as an ID.4. If this is your first EV... you will love RWD of either.

Hyundai and Kia's problems are well known. They made terrible 2.0L and 2.4L engines that drank oil and burst into flames and they are involved in lengthy billion-dollar class action lawsuits (HMA Engine Settlement). Thankfully we are talking about EVs now :)

As a long time Soul owner and new Kia Telluride owner... my only complaint about the Hyundai/Kia group is they make sh*t engines. I was super impressed by the Toyota powertrain of my RAV4 Prime. That thing is an engineering wunderkind with 302hp and 38mpg.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
581 Posts
MME is fords interpretation of a Model Y
I5 is Hyundais clean sheet all in best effort on any vehicle ever made by them to date and it shows in a million ways, the simplest and most important is obviously potential charging speed.

The I5 does have it's first recall. My previous Kia, first new asian car for me, had a single recall and zero out of cycle service appointments over 83,000 miles and 5 years. When I sold it the brakes were above 80%. I'll rely on a Korean product indefinitely honestly, there's not a single offering out there that hits so many things that are important to me from ride quality and design to the literally newest in technology possible up there with Porsche on the 800V.

For some people they just want a big EV and it sounds like the MME and I5 are both great for that. I didn't even test drive the MME, to close to the I5 for me while lacking all the great stuff i wanted in an expensive car. I did drive the ID.4 as a budget focused option but in the end the benefits of the IONIQ5 most matched only by cars 2-3x the price won me over.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The RWD Mach-E is as fast as a base Model 3 (which is pretty peppy). The Ioniq 5 (and EV6) RWD are basically as slow as an ID.4. If this is your first EV... you will love RWD of either.
Actually RWD Mach-E is pretty slow. It does 0-60 about 6 seconds. You need AWD version to get around 5 seconds for 0-60, and GT version to get it under 4. I5 can do 0-60 under 5 in sports mode. Not to mention you get the infamous 5 second throttle with MME.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Actually RWD Mach-E is pretty slow. It does 0-60 about 6 seconds. You need AWD version to get around 5 seconds for 0-60, and GT version to get it under 4. I5 can do 0-60 under 5 in sports mode. Not to mention you get the infamous 5 second throttle with MME.
The Ioniq 5 and EV6 RWD are sloooooower by comparison at 7.4 seconds which is basically ID.4 RWD acceleration. I've test driven all Ioniq 5 and EV6 trims and have owned a Mach-E RWD and Model 3 RWD (which I just traded for a Telluride) which are both sub-6 second in acceleration. I found the Korean RWDs severely lacking in power. If they had more pep I would not even considered AWD. 5-6 seconds in 0 to 60 is the sweet spot to me.

Again, a new EV owner won't know the difference. They will think RWD is amazing and wickedly fast. Compared to ICE...it is.

FYI.. MME's 5 second throttle is only with the GTPE. Ford does not throttle with the Premium trims.

The strongest argument for the Ioniq 5 is the suspension. The strongest argument for the Mach-E is it is sports car EV with all the bells and whistles (360 camera, hands-free BlueCruise, premuium audio, etc) at the Premium trim. With the Ioniq 5 you need to buy the Limited trim to get the same level of features.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Ioniq 5 and EV6 RWD are sloooooower by comparison at 7.4 seconds which is basically ID.4 RWD acceleration. I've test driven all Ioniq 5 and EV6 trims and have owned a Mach-E RWD and Model 3 RWD (which I just traded for a Telluride) which are both sub-6 second in acceleration. I found the Korean RWDs severely lacking in power. If they had more pep I would not even considered AWD. 5-6 seconds in 0 to 60 is the sweet spot to me.

Again, a new EV owner won't know the difference. They will think RWD is amazing and wickedly fast. Compared to ICE...it is.

FYI.. MME's 5 second throttle is only with the GTPE. Ford does not throttle with the Premium trims.

The strongest argument for the Ioniq 5 is the suspension. The strongest argument for the Mach-E is it is sports car EV with all the bells and whistles (360 camera, hands-free BlueCruise, premuium audio, etc) at the Premium trim. With the Ioniq 5 you need to buy the Limited trim to get the same level of features.
yeah they all seem pretty slow to me, comparing to my Model Y Performance :)
Have to say I5's suspension is pretty nice though, one of the best part about the car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re long term commitment to EVs: Most of the major players except the japanese automakers (For some reason) seem to be waking up to the necessity of a shift to EVs so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. But if it means anything, based on the paper specs and what we've seen of the engineering (via Munro etc), it seems like the Mach-E was well intentioned but kinda cobbled together. It has a relatively inefficient drivetrain, it's "packaging" seems pretty haphazard, etc. As I understand it, it's platform is an adaptation (albeit heavily modified) form of an ICE car platform suggesting that it isn't truly a clean sheet design. That doesn't mean that it's a bad car, or really disparage it at all, it just makes me think that the Mach-E is a rushed first effort and Ford's EV efforts are not yet mature. By comparison the I5/EV6 are clean sheet dedicated EVs built on experience gained from their previous EV efforts.

I doubt you could go wrong with either, just go with what works for you (I, for one, am considering an I5 order because of it's much faster charging and better overall value. That said, the cost of ownership in my state and the limited paint selection are giving me pause). I suspect that the Mach-E will be "obsolete" quicker, in the sense that I think Ford is still learning how to build dedicated EVs and I suspect their next couple models will continue the trend of refining their tech (I'm really curious to see how much commonality there is between the Mach-E and Lightning's drivetrain engineering)

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Limited
22 Posts

Which one will bring you more joy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my third Hyundai, I had a Santa Fe, Accent and now the i5, had zero problems with my first two just normal brakes, tires and battery on the Accent, both had well over 100k when I sold them and I don't expect the i5 to be any less reliable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts