Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
After a long search, and much deliberation, I have chosen an Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid as my company car.
I hope it's as good long term as it was during the test drive period, as I will have it for 4 years and around 100k miles.
Currently, I drive a VW Passat 2.0TDI Sport Estate, so I will miss the handling and poise (not to mention the electric heated windscreen), but I suspect that the mpg will be similar (50.3mpg average from - calculated manually since new), and I hope that the DCT 'box will make commuting more pleasurable.
I'll very much enjoy giving less money to HMRC !!!
As Fleet Manager, I'm also tasked with monitoring mpg of my Ioniq over different types of journey and terrain, in an attempt to ascertain whether petrol/hybrid vehicles have a viable place in our fleet. Currently we're all diesel, apart from a Hybrid Prius and a PHEV Prius, and have mpg varying from below 40 to above 65, so it'll be an interesting experiment.
I'm not sure when my platinum silver Ioniq will arrive, but I hope it will be here by May.
I'll keep you dated,
Bob.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Welcome Bob! And congratulations :) you got the same colour as mine and he is beautiful and doesn't need constant cleaning as dirt hardly shows.. always a bonus.
I drove diesels believing they were the best for fuel economy given my journeys but I was pleasantly surprised to find my fuel bill halved after only 3 months of driving my new Ioniq.
Good luck! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome.
I've had silver cars for years (albeit diesel) ... the ability to take a weekend off the cleaning regime is a boost. ?
I'll be the only driver, but I'll be logging my mpg over the life of the car, and will be recording the length of journey, type of roads driven and amount of load carried, to give a complete picture for fleet purposes.
Our current Toyotas (what is the plural of Prius ? ?) are miles apart mpg wise. The hybrid is returning around 45 mpg, while the plug-in returns around 62. I also know that the plug-in driver does not plug-in, and as they cover similar terrain, it's mostly down to driver ability. ?
Bob.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Our current Toyotas (what is the plural of Prius ? ?) are miles apart mpg wise. The hybrid is returning around 45 mpg, while the plug-in returns around 62. I also know that the plug-in driver does not plug-in, and as they cover similar terrain, it's mostly down to driver ability. ?
Bob.
The driver is certainly the largest independent variable here, but the larger battery of the PHEV can increase mpg without plugging in. Less dependence on the ICE in a number of scenarios, and added power available without increasing load on ICE. Presumptively, just the slightly larger battery in the Ioniq hybrid versus the Prius hybrid gives it an edge.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome Bob!

I presume with the Prius, you mean the current Gen4 Prius? You must have some heavy-footed drivers, as 45mpg is a pretty atrocious figure. What kind of journeys (distance, frequency) are the Priuses being used for?

·
Registered
189 Posts
You must have some heavy-footed drivers, as 45mpg is a pretty atrocious figure. What kind of journeys (distance, frequency) are the Priuses being used for?
We have a Prius c which the c is for "city", the environment it is better designed for. It struggles on the freeway a bit. In our very hot climate, driving 80 mph on the freeway, that's about the MPG our Prius c gets. We should have definitely gotten the regular Prius, but at the time we couldn't justify/afford the additional price.

If Bob is driving a Prius c I can understand this, but if it's a regular Prius, yes, that's pretty bad MPG.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello again everyone !
A little update for you ... My platinum silver Premium SE hybrid was ordered through our leasing company - Arnold Clark Finance - on the 9th of March and I now have a delivered to dealer date of the 24th of April, so I hope to have it by the beginning of May.
Hopefully there won't be any delays.
I've also had the pleasure of a polar white Premium SE hybrid demonstrator for the last week.
On my commute, I usually get 53mpg with my Passat, and according to the Ioniq computer, I averaged 54mpg on a car with only 6500miles on the clock, so it's a promising start.
I had a trip to Inverness, which takes me over the infamous A939 (no snow on the road, but it was frosty). The journey is around 110miles each way, and usually takes me 2hrs and 20mins (although I can do it in less than 2hrs at 41mpg if I'm really bad), and it only took me an extra 10mins, because I wasn't being too harsh with the ICE !!! The computer averaged 53mpg too, so again, I was impressed with that. The car does not handle like my Passat either, so that may have been another reason why the journey took a bit longer. Overall, I think that the benefits will outweigh the negatives.
Also, I persuaded our long term Prius fanatic to take it home last night. He has had a hybrid for years, and his current one is a '65 plate plug-in (which he doesn't plug-in !). He usually averages 60mpg on his commute, and in the Ioniq, he managed 62mpg average, on his first drive ... Ioniq 1 - Prius 0 ... Lol
Bob.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts