Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I’m sold. The parking lot pic definitely looks like the light projects much farther out in distance. Are you going to upgrade the high beams too? I heard those are easier to upgrade.
Right!?!? Way better! Can't wait to test them out in the hills at night or something when I have a chance. For now... I don't think I'll change the high beam bulbs. The LASFIT's high beams are quite nice to me, I have no complaints with them and since I hardly use the high beams, I think they'll last longer than the LASFIT low beams. But I also haven't seen how they work along side the Lumibrights yet. If I don't like how they look for some reason then I'll probably change them too. I'll post a picture of how the LASFIT high beams and the Lumibright low beams look together as well when I get a chance.

Changing the high beam bulb is easy and you have enough space to get it out unlike the low beam bulbs. I wouldn't take out the headlight assembly to change the high beams.

Also did you need to get a dust cover or did you just use the left over one from lasfit? If I was going to upgrade straight from halogens, do I need to purchase a dust cover and the h7 adapter? Or are the lumibrights small enough that I don’t need to extended dust cover and just to get the h7 adapter?
I just used the same bigger dust cover that I got from LASFITs since it was already there and I paid for it haha. The picture below is what the Lumibrights bulb look like from behind the headlight assembly when installed and it doesn't stick out or anything so I would think the stock dust cover would be fine.

So get the Lumibright bulb and the H7 adapter and you should be fine reusing the stock dustcover.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Right!?!? Way better! Can't wait to test them out in the hills at night or something when I have a chance. For now... I don't think I'll change the high beam bulbs. The LASFIT's high beams are quite nice to me, I have no complaints with them and since I hardly use the high beams, I think they'll last longer than the LASFIT low beams. But I also haven't seen how they work along side the Lumibrights yet. If I don't like how they look for some reason then I'll probably change them too. I'll post a picture of how the LASFIT high beams and the Lumibright low beams look together as well when I get a chance.

Changing the high beam bulb is easy and you have enough space to get it out unlike the low beam bulbs. I wouldn't take out the headlight assembly to change the high beams.

I just used the same bigger dust cover that I got from LASFITs since it was already there and I paid for it haha. The picture below is what the Lumibrights bulb look like from behind the headlight assembly when installed and it doesn't stick out or anything so I would think the stock dust cover would be fine.

So get the Lumibright bulb and the H7 adapter and you should be fine reusing the stock dustcover.

View attachment 33784
Yeah the Ioniq uses reflectors for high beams so I don’t think it’s as big of an issue. My friend has a 3D printer so I’ll see if they can make dust caps just Incase. For sure let me know more about the lumibrights. I’m gonna get some. I wish you had some halogen before photos or videos for a big comparison lol. I rarely use my high beams here in Portland, but I take frequent trips to the Utah and Arizona desert so high beams are definitely important down there

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah the Ioniq uses reflectors for high beams so I don’t think it’s as big of an issue. My friend has a 3D printer so I’ll see if they can make dust caps just Incase. For sure let me know more about the lumibrights. I’m gonna get some. I wish you had some halogen before photos or videos for a big comparison lol. I rarely use my high beams here in Portland, but I take frequent trips to the Utah and Arizona desert so high beams are definitely important down there
I took the Ioniq on a little drive and tested the high beams! Here's a video of a side my side comparison of me driving with only the Lumibright as the low beams as well as me driving with the LASFIT high beam on with the Lumibrights low beam.

LASFIT High Beam with Lumibright Low Beam Drive

So, the driver side high beam bulb is aimed far into the distance while the passenger side high beam bulb is aimed lower and that can't be changed unless you get an adjustable bulb as Child Play mentioned before. That being said, I don't believe these LASFIT high beam bulbs are adjustable and I have not changed the angle of the beam in any way with my LASFIT high beam bulbs, just plugged it in and this is how it's been.

When I used the LASFIT low beams with the LASFIT high beams, the passenger side high beam bulb filled in the loss of brightness towards the cut off of the projector beam while the driver side was able to light up way in the distance. But with the Lumibrights, it's hard to tell where the passenger high beam bulb is pointed at since the Lumibrights already do such a great job at projecting the brightness much further. That is a clear indication to me that, YES, these Lumibrights do project further than the LASFIT low beam bulbs.

I wish I did a before and after with the LASFIT low beams with the high beams to really show you the difference but I didn't expect it to be such a noticeable difference haha.

Here are the pictures with the high beams on and off. Now looking at the pictures side by side, the low beams seem brighter than the high beams..... Maybe the high beams could be brighter.... Darn you Phasetaylor! Making me spend more money!!! haha

Lumibright XT1 Gen 2 Low Beam

LASFIT 9005 LED High Beam

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I took the Ioniq on a little drive and tested the high beams! Here's a video of a side my side comparison of me driving with only the Lumibright as the low beams as well as me driving with the LASFIT high beam on with the Lumibrights low beam.

LASFIT High Beam with Lumibright Low Beam Drive

So, the driver side high beam bulb is aimed far into the distance while the passenger side high beam bulb is aimed lower and that can't be changed unless you get an adjustable bulb as Child Play mentioned before. That being said, I don't believe these LASFIT high beam bulbs are adjustable and I have not changed the angle of the beam in any way with my LASFIT high beam bulbs, just plugged it in and this is how it's been.

When I used the LASFIT low beams with the LASFIT high beams, the passenger side high beam bulb filled in the loss of brightness towards the cut off of the projector beam while the driver side was able to light up way in the distance. But with the Lumibrights, it's hard to tell where the passenger high beam bulb is pointed at since the Lumibrights already do such a great job at projecting the brightness much further. That is a clear indication to me that, YES, these Lumibrights do project further than the LASFIT low beam bulbs.

I wish I did a before and after with the LASFIT low beams with the high beams to really show you the difference but I didn't expect it to be such a noticeable difference haha.

Here are the pictures with the high beams on and off. Now looking at the pictures side by side, the low beams seem brighter than the high beams..... Maybe the high beams could be brighter.... Darn you Phasetaylor! Making me spend more money!!! haha

Lumibright XT1 Gen 2 Low Beam

View attachment 33794

LASFIT 9005 LED High Beam

View attachment 33795

Yikes those high beams look so dim compared to the lumibrights. It just add a little extra soft light above the cut off line versus a hard cut off is what it appears. I’m thinking of ordering the LED low and high beams this week and trying to install them myself versus waiting on a friend to help me. I really wish you had some halogen before pics. I’m going to try and make a comparison video too when I get mine, jumping directly from halogen to the best of the best LEDs though

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
83 Posts
Based on this continued discussion and the bulbfacts website, I'm in the process of returning the Lastfit bulbs I had just bought. Although I decided to go with the GTR Ultra 2 mainly because bulbfacts claims it's a slightly warmer shade of white, at the cost of some lumens. I did try installing the Lastfits this past weekend, but man that's some tight clearances for the low bulbs. Although I did windup installing some Philips XtremeVision 100% bulbs I bought a bit over a year ago for my high beams (glad they weren't defective 😅). According to bulbsfacts, they're supposed to provide 34% more light. I don't tend to use my highs too often to justify the cost of LEDs.

I might wind up removing the headlight assembly just to make things easier when my GTR bulbs arrive and then also swap out the white and yellow parking bulbs that are in there and are hard to reach. Whenever I take the car in for service, the dealer is going to know clearly something isn't stock anymore with my headlights. I wound up printing my own dust covers for the low bulb in a whiteish PETG plastic I had for my printer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Based on this continued discussion and the bulbfacts website, I'm in the process of returning the Lastfit bulbs I had just bought. Although I decided to go with the GTR Ultra 2 mainly because bulbfacts claims it's a slightly warmer shade of white, at the cost of some lumens. I did try installing the Lastfits this past weekend, but man that's some tight clearances for the low bulbs. Although I did windup installing some Philips XtremeVision 100% bulbs I bought a bit over a year ago for my high beams (glad they weren't defective 😅). According to bulbsfacts, they're supposed to provide 34% more light. I don't tend to use my highs too often to justify the cost of LEDs.

I might wind up removing the headlight assembly just to make things easier when my GTR bulbs arrive and then also swap out the white and yellow parking bulbs that are in there and are hard to reach. Whenever I take the car in for service, the dealer is going to know clearly something isn't stock anymore with my headlights. I wound up printing my own dust covers for the low bulb in a whiteish PETG plastic I had for my printer.
I don’t have the tools to take off the headlight assembly. I only own a drill and screwdriver lol. I have big hands but big skinny hands so hopefully I can still try and reach in there to switch out the headlights. I’m thinking of ordering this week

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
83 Posts
I don’t have the tools to take off the headlight assembly. I only own a drill and screwdriver lol. I have big hands but big skinny hands so hopefully I can still try and reach in there to switch out the headlights. I’m thinking of ordering this week
I would suggest making that piece of wood thing with 2 screws in it someone posted in this (or some other thread, can't remember) to make it easier to remove the stock low bulb. I'd say my hands are skinny, but fingers aren't super long and I couldn't get enough purchase to turn the bulb to remove it. Granted I only tried to remove the one that's on the right side of the car (looking at the engine bay), that's next to the fuse box.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,054 Posts
I’m going to try and make a comparison video too when I get mine, jumping directly from halogen to the best of the best LEDs though
If doing a comparison video, see if you can lock the exposure and shutter speed settings on your camera so that they're the same for the after video as they were for the before video. A lot of cell phone cams these days have a Pro mode that lets you do that...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
If doing a comparison video, see if you can lock the exposure and shutter speed settings on your camera so that they're the same for the after video as they were for the before video. A lot of cell phone cams these days have a Pro mode that lets you do that...
I’ll be using a Panasonic gh5 camera. All manual settings and high megapixel, good low light, and 4K video

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

I made a video with my LED upgrades. I got the new saberled prox 55w gen 2s that just released 2 weeks ago. They even blow the lumibrights out of the water! They are literally the brightest headlights on the planet. They even blow the top HIDS out of the water in projector housings. Apparently nothing will even come close for a while. They are even brighter than my girlfriends OEM led headlights built into her Toyota. They outshine them like crazy. Blowaway everyone else’s headlights I see. HID or LED or not. Clearly not even a comparison over my halogens I had before. Plus it makes the car look way cooler. And the high beams? Geeeez it’s brighter than some pick up trucks with off road LED light bars

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
OK! I finally installed the Lumibright bulbs!!!!!

The bulbs were super easy to install! They actually are just plug and play. Took me maybe 30 minutes since I wanted to remove the headlight assembly because it's a tight squeeze to access the low beam bulbs with them on but what took longer was that I didn't know how to type out everything I had to say and how to show you guys how to install it so I just made a video!

LASFIT vs Lumibright and Installation Video

If you don't want to watch it then here are some of my thoughts. I also only used the Lumibright bulb for about 15 minutes, so these are my initial thoughts on them. Will update you guys if I have any problems.

Short answer, I already noticed a nice improvement with the Lumibrights after 15 minutes compared to the LASFITS. Definitely get the Lumibrights if you can swing it.

LASFIT H7 Pro-HK7Lumibright XT1 Gen 2
PriceLASFIT Bulbs (Including H7 Adapter) - $100
Dustproof Covers (The stock covers aren't able to fit the bigger LASFIT bulb) - $20
Total (Plus Tax) - $129.28
Lumibright Bulbs - $159
H7 Adapters - $10
Total (Plus Tax) - $168.99
Warranty on Bulb1 Year3 Year
Brightness3000 LM4500 LM
Color6000K5700K
InstallPlug and play; Super simplePlug and play; Super simple
Cons- After 1 year and 3 months, half of the bulb would turn on, then after 5-10 minutes of having the headlights on, that's when it would fully turn on. Just missed the warranty, of course...

- Ever since I first installed the bulb, there's always been a couple of dark spots no matter how I positioned the bulb.

- At night on pitch black roads, especially at highway speeds, it lacked the range of brightness. The light beam was focused directly in front of the car and the brightness died towards the cut off of the projector beam. Always felt like I still needed to use the highbeams to get the range I felt comfortable driving white at highway speeds.
- Only used it for 15 minutes but no complaints here so far with install or initial use

- It is expensive but these are high end bulbs and they aren't in the same category as the LASFITs.
Pros- Cheaper- Longer warranty

- More even spread of light

- Brightness is more consistance throughout the range

LASFIT bulbs

View attachment 33778

Lumibright bulbs (The black thing between the wires looks like a car! Kinda cool touch haha)

View attachment 33780

LASFIT bulb installed on the left and Lumibright Bulb installed on the right

View attachment 33779

Lumibright bulbs in a parking lot

View attachment 33781

LASFIT bulbs in a parking lot

View attachment 33782

Final thoughts:

I would definitely go with the Lumibrights. These are expensive but for just $40 more, might as well pay for these. The performance is a nice improvement over the LASFITs and A HUGEEEEEEEE improvement over the standard halogen bulbs. I still can't believe Hyundai put those in the Ioniq from the factory! With the 3 year warranty vs the 1 year with LASFIT, I feel very confident that I'll be able to get my money worth out of these bulbs.
i noticed you have two glare squares above your hot spots. i have the same thing too with mine. do you know any way to fix it and have a harder cut off line? this shouldnt happen with projector lights....

·
Registered
42 Posts
i noticed you have two glare squares above your hot spots. i have the same thing too with mine. do you know any way to fix it and have a harder cut off line? this shouldnt happen with projector lights....
Hmm... I just thought it was just the design of the projector headlights.I too noticed that some projector beams have a cleaner cut while others have some light bleeding above the cut off line.

I assumed the squares are there to allow some light through to be able to reflect off of street signs?

But no, I don't know how to fix that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hmm... I just thought it was just the design of the projector headlights.I too noticed that some projector beams have a cleaner cut while others have some light bleeding above the cut off line.

I assumed the squares are there to allow some light through to be able to reflect off of street signs?

But no, I don't know how to fix that.
dang. i just figured there would be a cleaner cut off. hope youre enjoying your lights. im still toggling mine by raising and lowing them to try and get maximum distance for light shine

·
Registered
70 Posts

I made a video with my LED upgrades. I got the new saberled prox 55w gen 2s that just released 2 weeks ago. They even blow the lumibrights out of the water! They are literally the brightest headlights on the planet. They even blow the top HIDS out of the water in projector housings. Apparently nothing will even come close for a while. They are even brighter than my girlfriends OEM led headlights built into her Toyota. They outshine them like crazy. Blowaway everyone else’s headlights I see. HID or LED or not. Clearly not even a comparison over my halogens I had before. Plus it makes the car look way cooler. And the high beams? Geeeez it’s brighter than some pick up trucks with off road LED light bars
Dang. I thought mine were bright. I have the gen 1s still lol. Although by the time those die I'm sure something else will be out. Mine are plenty bright at night. Might upgrade the high beams though at some point for the country back roads. That can make or break the timing on a deer deciding to play chicken with your bumper...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Dang. I thought mine were bright. I have the gen 1s still lol. Although by the time those die I'm sure something else will be out. Mine are plenty bright at night. Might upgrade the high beams though at some point for the country back roads. That can make or break the timing on a deer deciding to play chicken with your bumper...
They are brighter in person than the video. Especially the high beams. I can’t wait to try them out in the southwest desert next month. I went out on an empty flat farm road the other night and with high beams on could easily see half a mile away. Possibly farther. Wasn’t expecting that craziness

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
83 Posts
Wow, new LEDs do make a heck of a difference. I just got around to installing my GTR Ultra 2.0 I bought at the end of March. I had to carve out the adapters a bit so that the heatsink could fit further into the adapter so the locking ring of the bulb would hold things where they needed to be on the adapter. I went through the trouble of removing the whole headlight so that I could also replace the 2 small parking bulbs w/LEDs in each headlight as well. Top photo is the low beam, bottom photo are my high beams (Philips X-tremeVision). I opted to go w/the GTR bulbs for the warranty and the slightly warmer light as ranked by BulbFacts. Photo is pretty spot on for how much I could see w/my eye & color, except the sky was a bit brighter.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Wow, new LEDs do make a heck of a difference. I just got around to installing my GTR Ultra 2.0 I bought at the end of March. I had to carve out the adapters a bit so that the heatsink could fit further into the adapter so the locking ring of the bulb would hold things where they needed to be on the adapter. I went through the trouble of removing the whole headlight so that I could also replace the 2 small parking bulbs w/LEDs in each headlight as well. Top photo is the low beam, bottom photo are my high beams (Philips X-tremeVision). I opted to go w/the GTR bulbs for the warranty and the slightly warmer light as ranked by BulbFacts. Photo is pretty spot on for how much I could see w/my eye & color, except the sky was a bit brighter.

View attachment 34031
I’m going to try and change out my parking bulb. I hate the little yellow bulb shining at the same time as my bright LEDS. Seems difficult to change though

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
83 Posts
I’m going to try and change out my parking bulb. I hate the little yellow bulb shining at the same time as my bright LEDS. Seems difficult to change though
Yeah, the little yellow one is all the way on the edge there of the headlight assembly. I think the one I chose is just slightly brighter, but at least I know it's an LED :D Luckily there's no wiring going to it (gets power via contacts) so it's just a twist and remove the holder. Sadly, I didn't look to see how easy it will be to remove w/o removing the headlight in case it burns out on me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yeah, the little yellow one is all the way on the edge there of the headlight assembly. I think the one I chose is just slightly brighter, but at least I know it's an LED :D Luckily there's no wiring going to it (gets power via contacts) so it's just a twist and remove the holder. Sadly, I didn't look to see how easy it will be to remove w/o removing the headlight in case it burns out on me.
I bought some Phillips 8000k leds for the parking light. Going to try and install them without taking headlights out. I had to do that to put my low and high beams in and it was a pain to take the whole bumper off. I know the parking light is right behind the high beam so should be a little easier to get to. I’m also upgrading my brake and reverse lights since I’ll be tinting my tail lights

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
83 Posts
I bought some Phillips 8000k leds for the parking light. Going to try and install them without taking headlights out. I had to do that to put my low and high beams in and it was a pain to take the whole bumper off. I know the parking light is right behind the high beam so should be a little easier to get to. I’m also upgrading my brake and reverse lights since I’ll be tinting my tail lights
I managed to do it by poping the clips on the top of the bumper that are under the hood and then doing the ones on the tire side I was working on and popped off the bumper just enough that I could wiggle the headlight out. Then reattached and moved on to the other side.

Edit: I wound up going w/the lastfit bulbs for the yellow and white bulbs in the headlight unit since they seemed compact and had decent sounding safety bits. Turn signals I didn't bother with since it would only be the front ones and that would need a resistor or a really expensive one w/it built in.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts