Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
did you use an h7 adapter for the low beam katana?
Yes I did. I used this. When I installed the LED's into the adaptor, I wasn't pleased with how the bulbs were secured in the adaptor. It didn't seem like they would stay in place. I think someone else on this site has put an extra groove on these adaptors so that they secure the bulb better. Anyhow, I didn't do that and after 2 years the bulbs are still there and haven't moved.
TOMALL H7 LED Headlight Bulb Retainers Holder Adapter for Hyundai 2017 Mistra New Tucson KIA Carnival, Headlight Bulb Retainers - Amazon Canada

·
Registered
6 Posts
So to the people who have installed LEDs for their headlights, was the issue with just the low beams or both the high beams and low beams? From digging around it seems like the low beams were the issue and high beams were easier plug and play.

but I want to know from someone who’s done it first hand experience
Greetings, Ioniq owners from Colombia, South America.
My Ioniq 2019 Limited Hybrid has a single projector headlight wich comes with HID (bad for hyundai) I tought the bulb was a single D3S HID Kit, but when I opened the headlight looking for LED improvement found that mine uses a D8S HID Bulb with ballast!!!
There´s a company called BOSLLA that sells all kind of bulbs but they still not have the D8S available yet!!!
they offer great lighting and great reviews from them, I got in contact with them and said that D8S will be soon available.
Purchase some D8S on Amazon but was not happy at all, so I took them back, they were better than stock Osram HID 25 Watts, but the lumens did not do well specially when high beams were activated.
wish this car had low/high beams separated housing (projector for low beams and regular headlight for high beams) but it uses the same projector light and a single bulb for them!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed Katana LED's for the low beams and Nineo LED's for the high beams. Both of these are rated very highly by bulbfacts.com Both are 6000 lumen per bulb and both give very nice beam patterns. However, both of these have a separate ballast. I had to drill two holes in the dust covers, to run the wire to the ballast and back to bulb. I sealed holes around the wires with silicone sealant. It's been about 2 years now and I have no regrets.
Hello friend, does your car uses HID?? mine is a D8S HID Osram and I'm trying to convert to LEDs but D8S is so difficult to find on market.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello friend, does your car uses HID?? mine is a D8S HID Osram and I'm trying to convert to LEDs but D8S is so difficult to find on market.
No. The car originally had halogen bulbs. I've replaced these with LED's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Update on my LAZFIT H7 Low Beam Bulb

I bought my bulb on 12/10/19 and just yesterday one of the bulbs started to give out!

I would turn my headlights on and only part of the bulb would turn on. After about 5 minutes then would fully come on. Warranty only lasts 1 year. Just missed it by 3 months..... damn!

I didn't know about bulbfact.com! So I saw the top rated LED bulb and I picked the Lumibright XT1 Gen2. If those go well, I might change the LAZFIT LED highbeams to something else. I'll update you when I install them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah I read the reviews. I was thinking of just doing lasfit for low beams and then on high beams get the best premium bulbs possible on that list. Price isn’t a concern for me

do you have the high beams from that same company? How much of a difference do you notice?
I just realized I never replied to this. I do not have the same ones for the high beams. I believe the ones I used for the high beams were these. They're definitely bright. One thing to keep in mind is that the high beam has the bulb on one side mount 90 degrees different compared to the other side so you'll need an adjustable one. Why? Who knows. Most of them are able to adjust though.

Nineo 9005 - Amazon Link

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just realized I never replied to this. I do not have the same ones for the high beams. I believe the ones I used for the high beams were these. They're definitely bright. One thing to keep in mind is that the high beam has the bulb on one side mount 90 degrees different compared to the other side so you'll need an adjustable one. Why? Who knows. Most of them are able to adjust though.

Nineo 9005 - Amazon Link
OMG! I didn't know that was on purpose haha. I put my new LED high beam bulb in back in December of 2019 and I was like holy crap why are they so off? I couldn't find a way to adjust it so I just accepted it and let it be. Then I tried it and was like whoa, I actually like the way this set up!

When I'm on a pitch black road, my driver side high beam bulb is aimed high and my passenger side high beam is aimed lower than that. So when everything is turned on, the lights have great coverage!

The low beams illuminate everything in front of you, my passenger side high beam bulb illuminates just past where my low beam cuts off, and then my driver side high beam bulb shoots off WAY in the distance and I can see for miles! I think that's why they did it! But I have never been in a car that does that on purpose and has no way to adjust the beam.

·
Registered
70 Posts
OMG! I didn't know that was on purpose haha. I put my new LED high beam bulb in back in December of 2019 and I was like holy crap why are they so off? I couldn't find a way to adjust it so I just accepted it and let it be. Then I tried it and was like whoa, I actually like the way this set up!

When I'm on a pitch black road, my driver side high beam bulb is aimed high and my passenger side high beam is aimed lower than that. So when everything is turned on, the lights have great coverage!

The low beams illuminate everything in front of you, my passenger side high beam bulb illuminates just past where my low beam cuts off, and then my driver side high beam bulb shoots off WAY in the distance and I can see for miles! I think that's why they did it! But I have never been in a car that does that on purpose and has no way to adjust the beam.
Yea I'm not sure why they designed it that way. Might have been to fit something next to it properly or... who knows. Since it wouldn't matter with an incandescent bulb they probably just fit it in there any way they could. However an LED requires a specific direction. If it's working for you then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update on my LAZFIT H7 Low Beam Bulb

I bought my bulb on 12/10/19 and just yesterday one of the bulbs started to give out!

I would turn my headlights on and only part of the bulb would turn on. After about 5 minutes then would fully come on. Warranty only lasts 1 year. Just missed it by 3 months..... damn!

I didn't know about bulbfact.com! So I saw the top rated LED bulb and I picked the Lumibright XT1 Gen2. If those go well, I might change the LAZFIT LED highbeams to something else. I'll update you when I install them.
Let me know how the lumibrights are and how you are able to install them. Lasfit said they’d send me a free pair of low beams to do a YouTube review on. But money isn’t an issue with me so if the lumibrights are a night and day difference, I’d rather just pay money for my headlight upgrade. Please please please keep us all updated on the lumibrights

·
Registered
42 Posts
Let me know how the lumibrights are and how you are able to install them. Lasfit said they’d send me a free pair of low beams to do a YouTube review on. But money isn’t an issue with me so if the lumibrights are a night and day difference, I’d rather just pay money for my headlight upgrade. Please please please keep us all updated on the lumibrights
Yea no problem! I'll hopefully get them later this week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you have an adapter for the fitting? Let us know how you get the lights installed too since it needs adapters
Yes, almost forgot about the adapter! Luckily the company I bought it from reminded me about it and added to my order. The bulbs should arrive Thursday and the adapters, since I ordered them after the bulbs, will be shipped seperately and arrive later I think.

I'll take pictures of the install as much as I can and get back to you guys!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes, almost forgot about the adapter! Luckily the company I bought it from reminded me about it and added to my order. The bulbs should arrive Thursday and the adapters, since I ordered them after the bulbs, will be shipped seperately and arrive later I think.

I'll take pictures of the install as much as I can and get back to you guys!
Do you have a link to the exact adapter? I’ve seen many different h7 adapters. If it’s a good fit and you notice a huge diff, I’ll for sure skip the lasfit and go with the lumibrights. I’m picky and want the best of the best

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmm that’s odd. They told me they didn’t have one. Let me know if the adapter works
This is the email they sent me right after I bought the LED bulbs. The date of this email was 3/13/21 so maybe in those 10 days since you contacted them they were able to find it?

What's interesting is that when I clicked the link it took me to the BRI Source website and that's where I purchased the adapters from. But when the adapters came in the mail, the adapters were in an Amazon bag.

I looked at the receipt that came in the package and it's the same adapters as the ones that Childs Play bought from Amazon.

Below is the adapter I used for the low beam. It worked for both of the LEDs I've used so far on the Ioniq.

TOMALL H7 LED Headlight Bulb Retainers

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This is the email they sent me right after I bought the LED bulbs. The date of this email was 3/13/21 so maybe in those 10 days since you contacted them they were able to find it?

View attachment 33733

What's interesting is that when I clicked the link it took me to the BRI Source website and that's where I purchased the adapters from. But when the adapters came in the mail, the adapters were in an Amazon bag.

I looked at the receipt that came in the package and it's the same adapters as the ones that Childs Play bought from Amazon.
Well if they work, they work and that’s what matters. Keep us updated on how well the conversion is for installation. Plus obviously the difference in brightness and light throw distance. ( I read from tests that lasfit lights up the ground in front of you really bright and creates the illusion of being better than halogen, but when measuring Lux farther out in distance, they are actually worse than halogens at 100-200 feet)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well if they work, they work and that’s what matters. Keep us updated on how well the conversion is for installation. Plus obviously the difference in brightness and light throw distance. ( I read from tests that lasfit lights up the ground in front of you really bright and creates the illusion of being better than halogen, but when measuring Lux farther out in distance, they are actually worse than halogens at 100-200 feet)
OK! I finally installed the Lumibright bulbs!!!!!

The bulbs were super easy to install! They actually are just plug and play. Took me maybe 30 minutes since I wanted to remove the headlight assembly because it's a tight squeeze to access the low beam bulbs with them on but what took longer was that I didn't know how to type out everything I had to say and how to show you guys how to install it so I just made a video!

LASFIT vs Lumibright and Installation Video

If you don't want to watch it then here are some of my thoughts. I also only used the Lumibright bulb for about 15 minutes, so these are my initial thoughts on them. Will update you guys if I have any problems.

Short answer, I already noticed a nice improvement with the Lumibrights after 15 minutes compared to the LASFITS. Definitely get the Lumibrights if you can swing it.

LASFIT H7 Pro-HK7 Lumibright XT1 Gen 2
PriceLASFIT Bulbs (Including H7 Adapter) - $100
Dustproof Covers (The stock covers aren't able to fit the bigger LASFIT bulb) - $20
Total (Plus Tax) - $129.28
Lumibright Bulbs - $159
H7 Adapters - $10
Total (Plus Tax) - $168.99
Warranty on Bulb1 Year3 Year
Brightness3000 LM4500 LM
Color6000K 5700K
InstallPlug and play; Super simplePlug and play; Super simple
Cons- After 1 year and 3 months, half of the bulb would turn on, then after 5-10 minutes of having the headlights on, that's when it would fully turn on. Just missed the warranty, of course...

- Ever since I first installed the bulb, there's always been a couple of dark spots no matter how I positioned the bulb.

- At night on pitch black roads, especially at highway speeds, it lacked the range of brightness. The light beam was focused directly in front of the car and the brightness died towards the cut off of the projector beam. Always felt like I still needed to use the highbeams to get the range I felt comfortable driving white at highway speeds.
- Only used it for 15 minutes but no complaints here so far with install or initial use

- It is expensive but these are high end bulbs and they aren't in the same category as the LASFITs.
Pros- Cheaper - Longer warranty

- More even spread of light

- Brightness is more consistance throughout the range

LASFIT bulbs

Lumibright bulbs (The black thing between the wires looks like a car! Kinda cool touch haha)

LASFIT bulb installed on the left and Lumibright Bulb installed on the right

Lumibright bulbs in a parking lot

LASFIT bulbs in a parking lot

Final thoughts:

I would definitely go with the Lumibrights. These are expensive but for just $40 more, might as well pay for these. The performance is a nice improvement over the LASFITs and A HUGEEEEEEEE improvement over the standard halogen bulbs. I still can't believe Hyundai put those in the Ioniq from the factory! With the 3 year warranty vs the 1 year with LASFIT, I feel very confident that I'll be able to get my money worth out of these bulbs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
OK! I finally installed the Lumibright bulbs!!!!!

The bulbs were super easy to install! They actually are just plug and play. Took me maybe 30 minutes since I wanted to remove the headlight assembly because it's a tight squeeze to access the low beam bulbs with them on but what took longer was that I didn't know how to type out everything I had to say and how to show you guys how to install it so I just made a video!

LASFIT vs Lumibright and Installation Video

If you don't want to watch it then here are some of my thoughts. I also only used the Lumibright bulb for about 15 minutes, so these are my initial thoughts on them. Will update you guys if I have any problems.

Short answer, I already noticed a nice improvement with the Lumibrights after 15 minutes compared to the LASFITS. Definitely get the Lumibrights if you can swing it.

LASFIT H7 Pro-HK7Lumibright XT1 Gen 2
PriceLASFIT Bulbs (Including H7 Adapter) - $100
Dustproof Covers (The stock covers aren't able to fit the bigger LASFIT bulb) - $20
Total (Plus Tax) - $129.28
Lumibright Bulbs - $159
H7 Adapters - $10
Total (Plus Tax) - $168.99
Warranty on Bulb1 Year3 Year
Brightness3000 LM4500 LM
Color6000K5700K
InstallPlug and play; Super simplePlug and play; Super simple
Cons- After 1 year and 3 months, half of the bulb would turn on, then after 5-10 minutes of having the headlights on, that's when it would fully turn on. Just missed the warranty, of course...

- Ever since I first installed the bulb, there's always been a couple of dark spots no matter how I positioned the bulb.

- At night on pitch black roads, especially at highway speeds, it lacked the range of brightness. The light beam was focused directly in front of the car and the brightness died towards the cut off of the projector beam. Always felt like I still needed to use the highbeams to get the range I felt comfortable driving white at highway speeds.
- Only used it for 15 minutes but no complaints here so far with install or initial use

- It is expensive but these are high end bulbs and they aren't in the same category as the LASFITs.
Pros- Cheaper- Longer warranty

- More even spread of light

- Brightness is more consistance throughout the range

LASFIT bulbs

View attachment 33778

Lumibright bulbs (The black thing between the wires looks like a car! Kinda cool touch haha)

View attachment 33780

LASFIT bulb installed on the left and Lumibright Bulb installed on the right

View attachment 33779

Lumibright bulbs in a parking lot

View attachment 33781

LASFIT bulbs in a parking lot

View attachment 33782

Final thoughts:

I would definitely go with the Lumibrights. These are expensive but for just $40 more, might as well pay for these. The performance is a nice improvement over the LASFITs and A HUGEEEEEEEE improvement over the standard halogen bulbs. I still can't believe Hyundai put those in the Ioniq from the factory! With the 3 year warranty vs the 1 year with LASFIT, I feel very confident that I'll be able to get my money worth out of these bulbs.
Well I’m sold. The parking lot pic definitely looks like the light projects much farther out in distance. Are you going to upgrade the high beams too? I heard those are easier to upgrade.
Also did you need to get a dust cover or did you just use the left over one from lasfit? If I was going to upgrade straight from halogens, do I need to purchase a dust cover and the h7 adapter? Or are the lumibrights small enough that I don’t need to extended dust cover and just to get the h7 adapter?

keep us updated on how the lumibrights feel over time. I’ll probably order both the lumibrights low and high beams together in mid april

21 - 40 of 61 Posts