Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to the people who have installed LEDs for their headlights, was the issue with just the low beams or both the high beams and low beams? From digging around it seems like the low beams were the issue and high beams were easier plug and play.

but I want to know from someone who’s done it first hand experience

·
Registered
142 Posts
When you say the "issue", are you referring to difficulty of installation, or to how poorly the stock halogen lights are? I can share my experience. I replaced both the high and low beam halogens with LED's. I first replaced the high beams because they needed it the most - the stock halogen high beams are very poor in my opinion - very little light output and I couldn't see anything at night. The low beams were not so bad, but after installing LED's on the high beams, the high beams were white and the low beams were yellow, which looked silly. So I replaced the low beams with LED's as well. In terms of installation difficulty, they are similar, but the low beams are a little more challenging because of much tighter quarters (difficult to access bulbs). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I installed LED headlights on mine!

The high and low beams were no issue in terms of bulb installation. They were both plug and play for me. Below are the bulbs that I bought. Uh, I forgot which one was the high beam bulb and low beam bulb so just double check that.

LASFIT LED Low Beams

LASFIT LED High Beams

The only issue I had with the low beam was that the original dust cover wouldn't go back on because the backing of the LED bulb was bigger. Luckily, LASFIT also made a fix for that. These also screwed back on with no problems. Below is the link to them.

Dustproof Cover Seal Cap Waterproof OEM Design for Hyundai Kia LED Headlight Bulb DC1005

Running these bulbs for a little over a year now and I've had no issues with these!

Here are the end results of my low beams.

Final Product of LED Low Beams

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed LED headlights on mine!

The high and low beams were no issue in terms of bulb installation. They were both plug and play for me. Below are the bulbs that I bought. Uh, I forgot which one was the high beam bulb and low beam bulb so just double check that.

LASFIT LED Low Beams

LASFIT LED High Beams

The only issue I had with the low beam was that the original dust cover wouldn't go back on because the backing of the LED bulb was bigger. Luckily, LASFIT also made a fix for that. These also screwed back on with no problems. Below is the link to them.

Dustproof Cover Seal Cap Waterproof OEM Design for Hyundai Kia LED Headlight Bulb DC1005

Running these bulbs for a little over a year now and I've had no issues with these!

Here are the end results of my low beams.

Final Product of LED Low Beams
So it’s just the low beams that have the dust cap issue? I was thinking of doing lasfit for low beams and then go with some other company who has super bright high beams if the high beams are easy plug and play

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say the "issue", are you referring to difficulty of installation, or to how poorly the stock halogen lights are? I can share my experience. I replaced both the high and low beam halogens with LED's. I first replaced the high beams because they needed it the most - the stock halogen high beams are very poor in my opinion - very little light output and I couldn't see anything at night. The low beams were not so bad, but after installing LED's on the high beams, the high beams were white and the low beams were yellow, which looked silly. So I replaced the low beams with LED's as well. In terms of installation difficulty, they are similar, but the low beams are a little more challenging because of much tighter quarters (difficult to access bulbs). Hope that helps.
So no need for custom adapter or anything on high beams? I’ve seen lasfit does hood custom low beams but was thinking of using another company with extremely bright high beam out put if it’s easy to install for high beams

·
Registered
42 Posts
So it’s just the low beams that have the dust cap issue? I was thinking of doing lasfit for low beams and then go with some other company who has super bright high beams if the high beams are easy plug and play
Yes, if you go with the LASFIT high beams at least. I'm not sure if others have different design that might have clearance issues with the dust cap.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, if you go with the LASFIT high beams at least. I'm not sure if others have different design that might have clearance issues with the dust cap.
Ok thanks because I saw they have a separate “ LS PLUS” high beam with 1000 extra lumens for a higher price

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok thanks because I saw they have a separate “ LS PLUS” high beam with 1000 extra lumens for a higher price
Oh nice! I got the standard high beam bulb and it's just as bright as the low beams which is still pretty amazing! But let me know what they look like if you do get them! Would love to see the difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Biggest issue for me was the dust covers on the low beams. Had some 3D printed and they've worked great.

The only other thing I can think of was the adapters for the low beams. The first set kept coming lose from the adapter even with adding a groove for the bulbs.

When I replaced the lights just recently I got everything set up ahead of time and used Gorilla Glue to hold the bulbs in the adapter. I then waited two days before installing them. Probably overkill on the wait time. BUT they have had zero issues since.

I bought the below ones for the low beam. They are BRIGHT!

DDM Tuning SaberLED 55W

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh nice! I got the standard high beam bulb and it's just as bright as the low beams which is still pretty amazing! But let me know what they look like if you do get them! Would love to see the difference.
I emailed them to see if the brighter ones were compatible with the Ioniq. You notice a diff from halogen to led in terms of visibility with lasfit?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Biggest issue for me was the dust covers on the low beams. Had some 3D printed and they've worked great.

The only other thing I can think of was the adapters for the low beams. The first set kept coming lose from the adapter even with adding a groove for the bulbs.

When I replaced the lights just recently I got everything set up ahead of time and used Gorilla Glue to hold the bulbs in the adapter. I then waited two days before installing them. Probably overkill on the wait time. BUT they have had zero issues since.

I bought the below ones for the low beam. They are BRIGHT!

DDM Tuning SaberLED 55W
12500 lumens per pair is insane! Got any pics? The low beams from lasfit are only 6000 lumens. Those saberleds are over twice the price. Lasfit just seems like they have easier installation, but I don’t want to sacrifice half the brightness. That’s crazy

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
86 Posts
I just ordered the lastfit low beams for my car. I was debating just getting a hotter burning halogen for the high beams, but I'm curious to see how the LS Plus bulbs look in the high beam housing. I did wind up ordering the trunk, dome, and map lights from VLED since I wanted the slightly warmer 5k color temp bulbs over the 6k I see at lastfit. I hope the new internal bulbs will reduce the drain on my 12v when packing/rearranging cargo.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just ordered the lastfit low beams for my car. I was debating just getting a hotter burning halogen for the high beams, but I'm curious to see how the LS Plus bulbs look in the high beam housing. I did wind up ordering the trunk, dome, and map lights from VLED since I wanted the slightly warmer 5k color temp bulbs over the 6k I see at lastfit. I hope the new internal bulbs will reduce the drain on my 12v when packing/rearranging cargo.
Let me know how the lasfit is. I’m debating on getting them. Easy set up but apparently they suck according to this ranking website. BulbFacts | Aftermarket LED Kits Chart - Comparing to Halogen in Reflector Headlights & Foglights

says worse than halogen according to testing

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
86 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, that's disappointing news. I'll post an update once I get them.
Yeah it doesn’t specify which bulbs or any of that. Seems like they didn’t do a full review in that site. The photo examples from users I’ve seen show an improvement, which is the main thing that matters, but they definitely don’t look mega bright and mind blowing. I’m going to order my LEDs in April

·
Registered
70 Posts
12500 lumens per pair is insane! Got any pics? The low beams from lasfit are only 6000 lumens. Those saberleds are over twice the price. Lasfit just seems like they have easier installation, but I don’t want to sacrifice half the brightness. That’s crazy
I don't have any pictures of it at the moment unfortunately. I'll be honest. Most of those LED bulb manufacturers make outrageous claims about their lumens and unfortunately you'll never see that full potential. I've used bulbfacts.com though for my past few conversions to LED on this car and my wife's 2016 Equinox to see what they actually showed when testing.

I will say with those projectors you start seeing "diminishing returns" with them. At least I personally feel that way. Just make sure you have the projector option selected and are looking at the low beam section. That is unless you're looking for high beams as well, then switch to the reflector type tests and look at the high beam brightness.

I had the Hikari Ultra before and they were a bit less bright, however they were still significantly brighter than stock. They went out in a year and a half though. You cant go wrong with any of the top three bulbs on any of those lists (budget/mid/premium teir). The cheaper LEDs just don't last as long some times. Just make sure to get ones with a fan.

·
Premium Member
2019 PHEV Base
86 Posts
I don't have any pictures of it at the moment unfortunately. I'll be honest. Most of those LED bulb manufacturers make outrageous claims about their lumens and unfortunately you'll never see that full potential. I've used bulbfacts.com though for my past few conversions to LED on this car and my wife's 2016 Equinox to see what they actually showed when testing.

I will say with those projectors you start seeing "diminishing returns" with them. At least I personally feel that way. Just make sure you have the projector option selected and are looking at the low beam section. That is unless you're looking for high beams as well, then switch to the reflector type tests and look at the high beam brightness.

I had the Hikari Ultra before and they were a bit less bright, however they were still significantly brighter than stock. They went out in a year and a half though. You cant go wrong with any of the top three bulbs on any of those lists (budget/mid/premium teir). The cheaper LEDs just don't last as long some times. Just make sure to get ones with a fan.
Yeah, I figure most of the numbers are made up or are under some extreme ideal situation and not everyday life. Most of my reading on the led bulbs is to see how reliable they are. I figure they're a bit brighter than our stock halogens, don't consume as much power, and the bulb survives longer than what a brighter hotter burning halogen would've then it's a win. In my old pickup I replaced years ago the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras would burn out after 1-1.5yrs for me so that's my benchmark.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Yeah I read the reviews. I was thinking of just doing lasfit for low beams and then on high beams get the best premium bulbs possible on that list. Price isn’t a concern for me

do you have the high beams from that same company? How much of a difference do you notice?

·
Registered
142 Posts
So no need for custom adapter or anything on high beams? I’ve seen lasfit does hood custom low beams but was thinking of using another company with extremely bright high beam out put if it’s easy to install for high beams
I installed Katana LED's for the low beams and Nineo LED's for the high beams. Both of these are rated very highly by bulbfacts.com Both are 6000 lumen per bulb and both give very nice beam patterns. However, both of these have a separate ballast. I had to drill two holes in the dust covers, to run the wire to the ballast and back to bulb. I sealed holes around the wires with silicone sealant. It's been about 2 years now and I have no regrets.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I installed Katana LED's for the low beams and Nineo LED's for the high beams. Both of these are rated very highly by bulbfacts.com Both are 6000 lumen per bulb and both give very nice beam patterns. However, both of these have a separate ballast. I had to drill two holes in the dust covers, to run the wire to the ballast and back to bulb. I sealed holes around the wires with silicone sealant. It's been about 2 years now and I have no regrets.
did you use an h7 adapter for the low beam katana?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts