Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already made a couple of comments and I haven't introduced myself. :p

I currently live in Vancouver and have been interested in the Ioniq since November 2016.

These past couple of months have been frustrating as the Canadian release has been pushed back several times. Hopefully it won't be pushed back more beyond early May. I don't know what the incentives are in other provinces but one of the incentives here is called the "Scrapt It" Program which encourages people to scrap their old cars for different kinds of incentives. The one that caught my eye and the main reason why I'm hoping to get an EV is the incentive to buy a brand new electric car. They will give you $6000 for your scrapped car and $250 directly to the dealership to use for your EV purchase, but there is a catch. It's only limited to 500 customers and once you apply for it, you have 30 days to scrap your car from the day you applied. If those 500 spots are gone, you will only get $3000 at the most, which is the amount they give to buy USED EVs.

When I visited a dealership here in Vancouver around March 6, the salesperson probably accidentally blurted out that they had a shipment coming in the next 2 weeks. To make a long story short, I was excited, I placed a deposit and applied for the Scrapit program. When I texted him 2 weeks later, he said it was a mistake. Then they told me April 10. I was a bit mad and had to reapply for the Scrapit program since there were about 100 spots left. My "new" application expires April 27.

After threatening to take back my deposit and go to the Richmond dealership and 2 Vancouver salespersons later (the person I originally dealt it is no longer in the Vancouver dealership), the replacement salesperson said they were supposed to get them around this time, Friday (he said "end of this week"). I mentioned to him that my Scrapit expires next week so he told me he was going to try to get the ball rolling. I get a text from another salesperson saying no word on pricing and the cars are in the port, Hyundai's warehouse and that his managers are "on it". Then I see a tweet from Hyundai Canada that early May is when they will release the Ioniqs. So luckily I was able to reapply for the Scrapit program again and crossing my fingers that the Ioniqs will be released in 2 weeks. As of now all 500 spots of the $6000 incentive have been filled.

*I forgot to say my current car is not worth $6000. It's not even worth $1000! :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome and good luck.

My understanding is that if you make a deposit (at some Hyundai dealerships), they can work with you and secure one of the vehicles that have already arrived in Canada but have not been released to specific dealers.

The deposit are refundable but a bit of a leap of faith as pricing and exact delivery information is currently unknown.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

My deposit is now for an EV with the CCP even it's more expensive than what I originally calculated. And my $6000 incentive now expires May 20. With the prices being release and that "big" announcement this coming Tuesday (according to another guy here), I'm hoping to get the car before my deadline?!? At least the VIN number?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts