Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq PHEV SEL
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m Buying A Hyundai IONIQ 5 But Had The Worst Case Dealership Experience!

I'm a big fan of Out of Spec Motoring and their family. Seems like a typical, sleazy bait and switch attempt. $10k over retail when they confirmed to him MSRP. Then claiming it was his fault for not buying the car on the spot (phone) without even seeing or driving it. Dealers like this should have their inventory deliveries cut from Hyundai. I have a feeling they only came back and tried to fix it when they found out that Dave was part of a known automotive influencer channel in order to save face.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Despicable behavior. Respect to you for telling them to stick their deal where the sun doesn't shine when they called you the next day and offered to make good on the deal. We'll done. Hopefully you'll get your IONIQ 5 soon, and it'll be a keeper. Great videos, BTW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love their channel as well. Waiting for them to take the Ioniq 5 on one of their signature road trips

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
129 Posts
Yes, I saw the video, and he did well to keep his temper and give us just the Facts. This sort of scam should be illegal and enforced

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the result of dealership franchise laws that are passed at the state level. Dealerships have monopoly in middle-man car selling. They are parasites that exist only to add transaction cost to consumers and are a living nightmare for manufacturers. This is not a liberal or conservative issue. These parasites thrive in every state.

Seriously yall need to start paying more attention and make this an issue with your local legislators. Dealerships have an insanely strong lobbying power but we outnumber them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is the result of dealership franchise laws that are passed at the state level. Dealerships have monopoly in middle-man car selling. They are parasites that exist only to add transaction cost to consumers and are a living nightmare for manufacturers. This is not a liberal or conservative issue. These parasites thrive in every state.

Seriously yall need to start paying more attention and make this an issue with your local legislators. Dealerships have an insanely strong lobbying power but we outnumber them.
I agree with this. Of course the best way we can go against them is with our wallets. If we don't buy from them, they either have to evolve or die, lowering their prices until the cars are attractive.

There will always be people that want the latest and greatest and will pay for it.

I would be willing to lobby my member of Congress, but would would I say to them that would have any weight?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with this. Of course the best way we can go against them is with our wallets. If we don't buy from them, they either have to evolve or die, lowering their prices until the cars are attractive.

There will always be people that want the latest and greatest and will pay for it.

I would be willing to lobby my member of Congress, but would would I say to them that would have any weight?
They would tell you to talk to your state representatives, this is a state by state issue

·
Registered
44 Posts
They would tell you to talk to your state representatives, this is a state by state issue
This. Congress can pass laws to prohibit dealerships based on the commerce clause but that's not going to happen. Our states just need to get off dealership bribes and get in with the times. Dealerships should not exist. It should only be a inventory lot where deliveries are made.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This. Congress can pass laws to prohibit dealerships based on the commerce clause but that's not going to happen. Our states just need to get off dealership bribes and get in with the times. Dealerships should not exist. It should only be a inventory lot where deliveries are made.
And of course, Tesla has shown that ending the dealership network does not lead to better customer service with appalling long waits for service, unavailability of parts and lots of hand waving over chronic issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
And of course, Tesla has shown that ending the dealership network does not lead to better customer service with appalling long waits for service, unavailability of parts and lots of hand waving over chronic issues.
FYI Chev also had that issue due to Lack of v techs and having to wait for service because most dealers only had 1 ev tech.
Also Tesla is still a small company compared to Ford, gm etc. I've heard that those complainers are the " need instant gratification" type people.
But Tesla did prove the you don't need a salesman to order your car.... You can order anything online the way you want, why it cars and have home delivery 😉

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not being American (but live in the States), this is the problem. I have no idea who to speak to, or what to say. Thank you.
America is such a disparate conglomeration of loosely attached states that the laws can and often are different from state to state on certain subjects. And some states seem to ignore federal laws too, seemingly because they want to. So for an outsider, it's difficult understanding which laws are statewide, which are federal and which ones change from state to state.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts