Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a engine sputter when it first starts. Car is one year old and only started doing it about 2 months ago. There's also a sputtering sound from the exhaust for the first second it starts. Is this normal? The car runs great and uses around 5 liters per 100 kilometers in the winter.

·
Registered
Ioniq phev 2018
124 Posts
In my phev it sounds as if an ignition stroke is skipped now and then, when engine is cold. I have ignored it and thought of it as the engine management system doing its thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out what's going on? Sounds like my Ioniq does the same thing. Before it sounds like it might stall the engine Revs back up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How interesting! I get that when starting and the ICE starts. On tick-over - whilst I wait for my passenger etc - the engine seems to miss a beat occasionally. To my untrained ear, it sounds like a misfire. But the car pulls away and drives perfectly normally. I don't intend to do anything about it.

Cymro

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a 2017 PHEV and when the ICE starts it first runs at high Revs and is not engaged to the drive train until oil is circulated. This is probably true for HEV's and most normal ICE cars. The engine gets to idle for a few seconds to circulate oil before a load is applied.
Take the worst case for the PHEV, when the PHEV is thrown into Sport mode up a hill the ICE is required to start without many Revs. This is where I found a problem with my camshaft sensors, I got code for misfires and sensor position. A rough engine note was heard and obviously the engine management light appeared with the codes for the above warnings. The sensors supply a digital signal to the engine management system and control the sparks, valve timing etc. Injectors were swapped with little change. Spark plugs were changed and the car was good again but the plugs had probably accumulated excess fowling. The sump oil smelt of petrol, again maybe unburnt fuel because of bad ignition. Not long after (100 miles of ICE only) a camshaft sensor circuit fault appeared. Both inlet and exhaust camshaft sensors were changed. Possibly a bad batch but there have been a few on later models. No errors in the last 2 years.

As the PHEV only runs the engine from cold and for short periods for heating or short range increasing distances, the effect is more pronounced. I run my PHEV with super unleaded for the extra cleaners. That's £0.50 blown each month on the UK gallon the cars uses ;) .

I still hear a split second of the engine finding it's timing.

I also run the car in HEV mode each month to the point where the engine is hot to clear any condensation that will build up in the engine. A quick check of your engines dipstick and the underside of the oil filler cap will show this condensation. This appears as a sludge mix of water and oil. Worst case is that this sludge collects in your internal oil ways and around the camshaft sensors that need a nice clean gap. This will not be there if your engine gets hot on each journey.

Reactions: Westkent

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Phev
25 Posts
I have a 2020 PHEV, no issues so far butI can’t stop wondering if you guys tried to put “better” gas in the tank?
I decided to use only pure gas without ethanol and I hope I will never experience anything similar to your issues. Maybe I’m wrong but I better spend few bucks more than being sorry later.
Edit: I just read the BlueNev comment about using high octane gasoline, I assume my question was answered.
However, I use Chevron 94 pure gasoline , I wonder if BlueNev high octane gasoline has any % of ethanol on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts