Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
How does it work in terms of connecting to your phone? Does it automatically do it? Does it share the WiFi connection? How do your phone calls connect to your car?
I haven't connected my phone to the unit. My phone is just connected with Bluetooth to my cars head unit, so calls would just go through there, as they would if I hadn't connected anything with USB.
The UX-999 unit has a SIM card slot, and as it's just a normal Android, I've inserted a SIM card and enabled WiFi tethering on the device, so my car can connect to it's WiFi and get an internet connection through it.
Before I had this device, I had a separate USB 4G LTE modem inserted in another USB port in the car to get internet connection in the car.
The UX-999 does support both wireless Android Auto and CarPlay, so you should be able to use that. But I really can't see the point of it, and therefore I haven't tried it out yet. But I've read, that if you use Android Auto this way, it would still use the full widescreen in e.g. the Ioniq 5, but it should kinda stretch the image a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It does run Android, that's correct. But it uses the CarPlay protocol to communicate with the car, and on the head unit it is registered as an iPhone.
If you want to see the unit in action in a Ioniq 5, you can watch this video:
It's in Danish, but you can clearly see that it is in full widescreen.
I've received the device, and I've been using it in my Skoda Superb for a couple of days (in replacement of my AAWireless device), and it works quite well. Only disappointment is no multitouch... Not sure if it can be fixed in a coming softare update though. There seems to be released updates for the unit one or two times a month.
Any reason why you went away from AAWireless? Mine is shipping this month.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any reason why you went away from AAWireless? Mine is shipping this month.
Just to try something new, I guess. :) The AAWireless works flawlessly.
But the UX-999 has a few advantages over Android Auto; it can run any app that's compatible with Android 9, which means it has e.g. Netflix, can play YouTube videos and so on. But the biggest advantage for me was, that I can use a normal launcher where I can use widgets. Especially IFTTT widgets for my garage doors, so I can open and close them from my head unit. With normal Android Auto I could use Google Assistance, but it requires me to talk to the car (which I hate), and speaking out a four digit PIN code every time I'd like to open or close one of my garage doors.
As for launcher I'm currently using Car Launcher Pro which has a lot of useful car related widgets: Car Launcher Pro - Apps on Google Play

Also using the wireless Android Auto draws power from the phone. Not that big of a problem, but it's notable. Also because, at least on my phone, the phone seemed to keep some Android Auto things running, even long after I've left the vehicle. Which sometimes caused some power drains (using ~10% an hour).
No such thing with the UX-999, as it doesn't use the phone at all (it can, if you like).

Furthermore, when it comes to the Ioniq 5, the UX-999 can use the entire screen, as it uses the Apple CarPlay protocol.

On the downside though, it's takes a longer time to boot the UX-999 (about 30 seconds I recon), whereas the AAWireless is ready after about ten seconds. Also the UX-999 does not support multi touch, which is kinda annoying in Google Maps, but as long as you know how to zoom and navigate in Google Maps using only single touch, then it's doable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to try something new, I guess. :) The AAWireless works flawlessly.
But the UX-999 has a few advantages over Android Auto; it can run any app that's compatible with Android 9, which means it has e.g. Netflix, can play YouTube videos and so on. But the biggest advantage for me was, that I can use a normal launcher where I can use widgets. Especially IFTTT widgets for my garage doors, so I can open and close them from my head unit. With normal Android Auto I could use Google Assistance, but it requires me to talk to the car (which I hate), and speaking out a four digit PIN code every time I'd like to open or close one of my garage doors.
As for launcher I'm currently using Car Launcher Pro which has a lot of useful car related widgets: Car Launcher Pro - Apps on Google Play

Also using the wireless Android Auto draws power from the phone. Not that big of a problem, but it's notable. Also because, at least on my phone, the phone seemed to keep some Android Auto things running, even long after I've left the vehicle. Which sometimes caused some power drains (using ~10% an hour).
No such thing with the UX-999, as it doesn't use the phone at all (it can, if you like).

Furthermore, when it comes to the Ioniq 5, the UX-999 can use the entire screen, as it uses the Apple CarPlay protocol.

On the downside though, it's takes a longer time to boot the UX-999 (about 30 seconds I recon), whereas the AAWireless is ready after about ten seconds. Also the UX-999 does not support multi touch, which is kinda annoying in Google Maps, but as long as you know how to zoom and navigate in Google Maps using only single touch, then it's doable.
Good info thanks. Yeah reading up on the UX-999 it has a lot of cool stuff, I hope you got the small unit the big one looks.... big. :)
My next question was going to be, does it work with the 'assistant button', sounds like it does but you don't like doing that.
I did notice something in AA on my phone has changed recently where the map navigation stays open even after it closes down, that is quite annoying and likely drains the battery.
Hopefully my AAWireless and Ioniq5 both turn up ASAP and I'll see how they fare.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good info thanks. Yeah reading up on the UX-999 it has a lot of cool stuff, I hope you got the small unit the big one looks.... big. :)
My next question was going to be, does it work with the 'assistant button', sounds like it does but you don't like doing that.
I did notice something in AA on my phone has changed recently where the map navigation stays open even after it closes down, that is quite annoying and likely drains the battery.
Hopefully my AAWireless and Ioniq5 both turn up ASAP and I'll see how they fare.
Thanks again.
Yea I did get the small unit. :) As I understand, the big unit isn't sold anymore.
I actually don't know of the assistant button works on the UX-999, but I can try it out today. And then I'll report back.
On AAWireless the assistant button works fine, at least in my car. But I do remember reading about some problems with it in some cars (maybe some Nissans and/or some of the french cars, but I'm not sure).
The other buttons on the steering wheel works, changing track and play/pause on both the AAWireless and UX-999.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Im curious to know who well this links in with your phone. I am not keen on buying a seperate sim therefore i guess i would have to tether the unit to my phone each time i enter the vehicle?. Would calls automatically come up on the car or would it need a seperate bluetooth connection from the phone to the car?.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks again.
The assistant button on the steering wheel does NOT work with the UX-999. It activates the cars own speech system. :) But as I wrote earlier, it works fine with the AAWireless device.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im curious to know who well this links in with your phone. I am not keen on buying a seperate sim therefore i guess i would have to tether the unit to my phone each time i enter the vehicle?. Would calls automatically come up on the car or would it need a seperate bluetooth connection from the phone to the car?.
I'm not sure if your question is for the UX-999? If so, I haven't tried to connect it to my phone. I already had a data SIM card which I inserted in the device, which works just fine.
As for my phone, with calls etc. it's just connected to my cars original Bluetooth, so it works just as though I haven't had anything connected to the USB.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure if your question is for the UX-999? If so, I haven't tried to connect it to my phone. I already had a data SIM card which I inserted in the device, which works just fine.
As for my phone, with calls etc. it's just connected to my cars original Bluetooth, so it works just as though I haven't had anything connected to the USB.
Awesome, thanks for testing out!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts