Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have ordered this box, which uses Apple CarPlay and therefore can utilize the whole screen in the Ioniq 5:
The box offers a "normal" Android device in the headunit using the CarPlay interface. And it also hos an app installed that allows for wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay from your phone.
In a YouTube video I've seen the box installed in a Ioniq 5, which is why I know it can utilize the whole screen. The video also demonstrated the wireless Apple CarPlay connection, which also used the whole screen. Unfortunately it didn't show wireless Android Auto connection, so I'm not completely sure that it will use the whole screen, when using wireless Android Auto via this box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That is Apple Car Play not Android Auto
It looks like it uses the apple CarPlay connection to project an a separate android device onto the display. Would be keen to know how you get on with this. I worry about how reliable devices like this maybe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It looks like it uses the apple CarPlay connection to project an a separate android device onto the display. Would be keen to know how you get on with this. I worry about how reliable devices like this maybe.
Apple Car Play and Android Auto are two separate products, neither are interconnected so not sure why you think it us using the CarPlay connection to project android?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Apple Car Play and Android Auto are two separate products, neither are interconnected so not sure why you think it us using the CarPlay connection to project android?
The device is a small computer. With the right software it can do anything like fool the system it is connected to thinking it is a device sending Apple Carplay but in fact it sends Android Auto. We sell high end HiFi kit where the manufacturer has reverse engineered Apple Airplay (the audio only system) so that their devices can act as an Airplay receiver from an iPhone. They can't call it Airplay or slap Apple logos over anything but it works perfectly.

CJ

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
311 Posts
Xiaomi has very aggressive battery optimizations, you should open the app's settings (all audio apps you wish to use) and disable MIUI Battery Saver feature (i.e. allow them to run in the background)
Think I did this today - Was this the correct menu you referred to?
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Parallel

Anyway, I did it for all the AA apps that weren't working before, but looks like it only worked for Audible for some reason
Font Gadget Audio equipment Output device Display device

Still getting error messages like this for the rest
Computer Output device Personal computer Flat panel display Font

Got Google Maps to work - but are there any reasons to choose that over the inbuilt satnav?
Map World Computer Gadget Font

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 35819

Anyway, I did it for all the AA apps that weren't working before, but looks like it only worked for Audible for some reason
View attachment 35820

View attachment 35821

Got Google Maps to work - but are there any reasons to choose that over the inbuilt satnav?
View attachment 35822
In addition to the battery settings, also allow the app to auto start.
see the image I shared here:

·
Registered
228 Posts
View attachment 35819

View attachment 35820

View attachment 35821

View attachment 35822
Google has very good map data and like Apple Maps pulls live traffic information from other phones in-use on the roads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have ordered this box, which uses Apple CarPlay and therefore can utilize the whole screen in the Ioniq 5:
The box offers a "normal" Android device in the headunit using the CarPlay interface. And it also hos an app installed that allows for wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay from your phone.
In a YouTube video I've seen the box installed in a Ioniq 5, which is why I know it can utilize the whole screen. The video also demonstrated the wireless Apple CarPlay connection, which also used the whole screen. Unfortunately it didn't show wireless Android Auto connection, so I'm not completely sure that it will use the whole screen, when using wireless Android Auto via this box.
That's an interesting device for sure but it seems to be running Android software, with that in mind i suspect you will run into the same issues with the unit not displaying full windscreen like the Apple devices do.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I find Waze much more accurate than the Hyundai navigation system. Waze is also spot-on when it comes to road closures are roadworks etc. Additionally, Waze seem to effortlessly know the correct speed limit for the road at all times, while the Hyundai system struggles with traffic sign recognition and often gets it wrong.

That said, the navigation instructions from Waze do not show on the HUD (for those who have this feature), and the speed limit data from Waze does not integrate with the adaptive cruise control.

So there are pros and cons to each...

Most of the time I just (lazily) use the Hyundai system, but when I need to get somewhere in a hurry I'll connect my Samsung Galaxy and use Waze over Android Auto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That's an interesting device for sure but it seems to be running Android software, with that in mind i suspect you will run into the same issues with the unit not displaying full windscreen like the Apple devices do.
I find Waze much more accurate than the Hyundai navigation system. Waze is also spot-on when it comes to road closures are roadworks etc. Additionally, Waze seem to effortlessly know the correct speed limit for the road at all times, while the Hyundai system struggles with traffic sign recognition and often gets it wrong.

That said, the navigation instructions from Waze do not show on the HUD (for those who have this feature), and the speed limit data from Waze does not integrate with the adaptive cruise control.

So there are pros and cons to each...

Most of the time I just (lazily) use the Hyundai system, but when I need to get somewhere in a hurry I'll connect my Samsung Galaxy and use Waze over Android Auto.

Does anyone in the UK know if you can shift the Android auto display to at least be closer to the driver (I.e. on the right side of the screen).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does anyone in the UK know if you can shift the Android auto display to at least be closer to the driver (I.e. on the right side of the screen).
I tried it, but there's no obvious way of doing it... there are virtually no configuration options to set on the car's infotainment system for Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay) - not that I could find, anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It does run Android, that's correct. But it uses the CarPlay protocol to communicate with the car, and on the head unit it is registered as an iPhone.
If you want to see the unit in action in a Ioniq 5, you can watch this video:
It's in Danish, but you can clearly see that it is in full widescreen.
I've received the device, and I've been using it in my Skoda Superb for a couple of days (in replacement of my AAWireless device), and it works quite well. Only disappointment is no multitouch... Not sure if it can be fixed in a coming softare update though. There seems to be released updates for the unit one or two times a month.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It does run Android, that's correct. But it uses the CarPlay protocol to communicate with the car, and on the head unit it is registered as an iPhone.
If you want to see the unit in action in a Ioniq 5, you can watch this video:
It's in Danish, but you can clearly see that it is in full widescreen.
I've received the device, and I've been using it in my Skoda Superb for a couple of days (in replacement of my AAWireless device), and it works quite well. Only disappointment is no multitouch... Not sure if it can be fixed in a coming softare update though. There seems to be released updates for the unit one or two times a month.

How does it work in terms of connecting to your phone? Does it automatically do it? Does it share the WiFi connection? How do your phone calls connect to your car?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts