Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I have just put my order in for the Ioniq 5 which will be my first EV. Thoroughly looking forward to it after watching a million videos online about it. When i test drove a premium model however I connected my galaxy s21 up and was a bit disappointed with the android auto on it.

Firstly on the side nearest to me there was a big box taking up a third of the screen simply saying "S21" i.e. unusable space on the screen which a bit irritatingly shifts the after android auto screen to the left away from the driver.

Does anyone know is there a way to get rid of this box so that the whole screen is used for android auto? or even is there a way to move this box to the other side so that at least its easier to reach to actual android auto screen?

·
Registered
50 Posts
As far as I know, there's no way to get Android Auto to use all of the screen area. Apple Carplay does, but not Android Auto.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have you tried going to Settings -> Phone connection -> Android Auto -> Turn off split screen.

I have an iphone and if I have split screen turned on, I see a similar thing to what you see with a box that just says 'carplay'

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate RWD + Tech + Eco GG
157 Posts
Have you tried going to Settings -> Phone connection -> Android Auto -> Turn off split screen.

I have an iphone and if I have split screen turned on, I see a similar thing to what you see with a box that just says 'carplay'
I've just tried that on mine and now Android Auto no longer works 😟 Even tried alternative cables but the car is not recognising the data.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Android Auto will not display full screen on the Ioniq 5 like carplay will unfortunately

·
Registered
50 Posts

That's the mode that OP describes, it's just generic AA text. However, if you turn on the split screen you can use that space to display the normal split screen stuff like the battery information so it's not entirely wasted space.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is a software change needed by Hyundai, not Google. People need to complain to Hyundai to get them to allow Android to use full wide screen.
Not true as far as I understand it - AA does not yet support very wide screens.

CJ

·
Registered
11 Posts

CJ

It does. But it used to not in the past, so car manufactures would set a certain size that AA could use. Now that's it restricted at the display unit, AA cannot be pushed to widescreen.

2019:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/b3vbxy
2019:
“Basically because of the timing of Palisade [developed before Google opened ability for widescreen support] it will not receive widescreen support for Android Auto,” Hyundai spokesman Miles Johnson told me in an email.

“Android Auto has been supporting widescreen displays in modern vehicles for over a year, but manufacturers need to enable their cars to request that aspect ratio from the phone,” Kaori Miyake, a spokesperson for Google, said. Automakers like Alfa Romeo, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus and Mazda are among them, Miyake continued.

“For manufacturers that haven’t, they can opt to update their head-unit software to support,” Miyake said. “However, that is subject to their own discretion and design decisions.”

It's been ~3 years since Google supported Widescreen, still no action from Hyundai.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone confirm if you can at least move this "wasted screen" area to the other side of the screen? I.e. to the left side of the screen (based in UK so steering wheel on the right).

·
Registered
157 Posts

CJ
Mercedes have a 70/30 split on their wide screens for AA with the secondary function taking the 30% e.g. Google Maps is the same ratio that we have but the additional split is functional for other apps e.g. music so that you don't have to switch the displays over to perform functions.

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
310 Posts
Anyone else been having problems getting the AA apps to work?
Gadget Line Font Display device Gas

Gadget Output device Font Display device Multimedia

Gadget Output device Computer Display device Flat panel display

Output device Gadget Computer monitor accessory Television set Display device

I managed to get the google podcasts to function, but to be honest it was a lot less hassle if I just used the phone to do it - especially when wanting to control the play/pause/rew/ff
Gadget Audio equipment Multimedia Font Communication Device

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Gadget Automotive exterior

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone else been having problems getting the AA apps to work?
View attachment 35778
View attachment 35779
View attachment 35780
View attachment 35781

I managed to get the google podcasts to function, but to be honest it was a lot less hassle if I just used the phone to do it - especially when wanting to control the play/pause/rew/ff
View attachment 35782

View attachment 35783
Xiaomi has very aggressive battery optimizations, you should open the app's settings (all audio apps you wish to use) and disable MIUI Battery Saver feature (i.e. allow them to run in the background)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Xiaomi has very aggressive battery optimizations, you should open the app's settings (all audio apps you wish to use) and disable MIUI Battery Saver feature (i.e. allow them to run in the background)
Surely with the phone being constantly powered via the usb cable whilst connected to AA, any battery saving features would be ineffective?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Surely with the phone being constantly powered via the usb cable whilst connected to AA, any battery saving features would be ineffective?
tell that to Xiaomi, I have several of their devices, for apps like YT Music, Spotify & Waze to work correctly in AA I need to disable their Battery Saver features (and allow Autostart)

·
Registered
310 Posts
tell that to Xiaomi, I have several of their devices, for apps like YT Music, Spotify & Waze to work correctly in AA I need to disable their Battery Saver features (and allow Autostart)
Fair enough - I'll give it a go (y)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts