Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,691 Posts
To answer the OP, I've been charging my Ioniq PHEV with my Wallbox Pulsar level 2 EVSE. For the past 2 days from 15% back to 100%, it reported 7.65kWh delivered to the car both times. I'd add 10-15% to that figure to account for efficiency loss.
What's reported by your Pulsar is accurate in terms of what was pulled from the grid, and that you'll be billed for. The 10-15% efficiency loss means that what was actually delivered into the battery is less. Even there, once again because physics, what can be pulled back out of the battery and delivered to the motors is less again, less again to the wheels through gearing and friction losses in the shafts, CV joints, and bearings, less again to the pavement because of losses in the tires, less again to the motion of the vehicle because of air drag, etc. In the end, 7.65kWh is still what you'll pay for on your electric bill.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV Limited, 2022 Tucson PHEV Limited, 2023 GV60 Performance
104 Posts
What's reported by your Pulsar is accurate in terms of what was pulled from the grid, and that you'll be billed for. The 10-15% efficiency loss means that what was actually delivered into the battery is less. Even there, once again because physics, what can be pulled back out of the battery and delivered to the motors is less again, less again to the wheels through gearing and friction losses in the shafts, CV joints, and bearings, less again to the pavement because of losses in the tires, less again to the motion of the vehicle because of air drag, etc. In the end, 7.65kWh is still what you'll pay for on your electric bill.
You might be right. When I first got the Tucson PHEV, I noted every single charge session for the first 3 months o_O. When I used the stock level 1 EVSE, I measured with the Killawatt, and with the Wallbox level 2 just what it reports. From the same percentage of charge, the Killawatt consistent read 10% or so higher, which is what lead me to think that the Wallbox reports what's delivered to the car and not what's drawn from the wall. Or it could be that 240V level 2 charging is more efficient than 120V level 1. Just throwing it out there as I'm obviously not an EE ;)

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,691 Posts
Or it could be that 240V level 2 charging is more efficient than 120V level 1. Just throwing it out there as I'm obviously not an EE ;)
You got it, 240V is more efficient.

For X amount of current you'll get a fixed voltage drop Y due to ohms law and the resistance in the electronics, wiring, and connectors, and Y is a smaller bite out of 240V then it is from 120V. As an arbitrary example, lets pretend that Y is 24V. That would be a 10% loss against 240V, but a 20% loss against 120V.

·
Registered
2020 "Intense Blue" Ioniq Plugin Preferred
30 Posts
I had a Killawatt plugged in for a while to measure my Tucson PHEV using the stock Hyundai level 1 EVSE. Sometimes I use my level 2 Wallbox Pulsar when I need a quick top off for multiple trips in a day. The Killawatt consistently measured higher kWh used than the Wallbox. I believe part of the reason is that the Killawatt measures the kWh drawn from the wall which includes charging efficiency loss, whereas the Wallbox measures kWh delivered to the car.

If you're looking to purchase a power meter, the one big drawback of the Killawatt is that your running total is erased each time it is unplugged. I also have one of these below and it keeps all stats even after unplugging it for an extended period. Just search "power meter" on Amazon and you'll find it.

View attachment 45063
I've picked up one of these and had it in use for a couple of weeks now. Seems to be doing the job. I'm going to have to adjust my spreadsheet layout but am thinking of just taking the reading at the end of each month and adding that expense into my gas costs.

The one unfortunate thing is that this is an indoor unit and I'm still kicking around ideas for weather-proofing it. It's plugged in outside but the area is reasonably well sheltered from rain. Don't know how it will handle the cold. I'll find that out much sooner than I'd like at this point. <smile>

I'll also have the opportunity of seeing just how long the unit will "remember" the readings over the next couple of weeks.

Just as an aside . . . how many years does it take to remember to close the charging port before starting the car?

·
Registered
Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid 2022 Premium SE NAV
15 Posts
The most I have ever added is 8kw on one occasion only, following an approximately 300 mile motorway journey. Usually if I run down to zero miles locally, it only adds 7.5 or 7.6kw.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts