Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
That's exactly my point. They don't have qualified people that understand their own systems. This is really sad and shameful for a major car company. Any mechanical system should be able to be troubleshooted for any problem that occurs. The systems do not have serious issues. They just need someone that understands how they work. They sent an incompetent engineer.

Thousands of units perform exceptionally, mine being one. I have over 11,000 miles on the car and have just returned from a grueling 5400 mile trip in summer heat at the charging station as high as 102 degrees while fast charging at up to 230kw. The cooling system was phenomenal coming in hot off 2 hrs. of 75 mph speeds. It kicks in automatically keeping everything cooled down maintaining the fast charging we expect.
Being a designer and a troubleshooter are two different things. There just isn't enough data for these to be able to say what's wrong because it's a brand new system. I said the same thing you are saying at 8000 miles but here I am. Hopefully it's just an isolated few but those of us that have had the issue, have not found real solutions. But you're also right, Hyundai isn't doing well with training and addressing these types of things.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There seems to be a very long list of variants, so it would take some research or someone reading the number. Some are Genesis versions and show later versions. This list seems to include many unrelated models. Possibly "Control ASSEMBLY. HVAC Control Module" - For example: Search Hyundai Ioniq 5 Parts like 97255 Maybe there is a way to use the search by VIN? I guess it takes an expert, even with an old random VIN from the spreadsheet, I get a long list of modules: Search Hyundai Ioniq 5 Hvac Parts like 97255
No need to search by VIN, you can check variant installed in your car with Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app, section Settings / ECU identifiers

Part number in my car is 97255-GI250, HW version 1.00, according to Car Scanner. If concerned, Car Scanner shows A/C evaporator temperature and aircon compressor speed, plus the coolant pump and drive motor oil pump. Compressor and pumps have variable load and RPM.

97255-GI250 photos:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The A/C failed on my Ioniq 5 on August 8, 2022. I took it into the dealer the same day. It took them four days to look at it. While I waited for them to determine the problem, I did some research on this forum and gave the information to my Service Advisor. On August 12th they order some parts which took another week to arrive. Parts were installed without success. They decided to order a compressor inverter which took another week to arrive. After it was installed, the problem was not resolved. The dealer was going to order a compressor. At that time, I found information on this forum about the fuse in the high voltage junction box. I relayed that to the service advisor Up to that point they had not checked the fuse. They found a blown fuse in the high voltage junction box. Once they fixed that the A/C was working again. All told it took the dealer 33 days to fix the problem. The tech who worked on the problem told me that it would have been resolved sooner if he had known about the fuse in the high voltage junction box.

Obviously, Hyundai has not trained the technicians in their dealer network properly.

I have included a picture of the repair order section containing the information on the repair that resolved the A/C issue in my car. I hope this helps someone else resolve the same issue more expeditiously.

Font Number Document Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Cyber Grey Limited
181 Posts
The A/C failed on my Ioniq 5 on August 8, 2022. I took it into the dealer the same day. It took them four days to look at it. While I waited for them to determine the problem, I did some research on this forum and gave the information to my Service Advisor. On August 12th they order some parts which took another week to arrive. Parts were installed without success. They decided to order a compressor inverter which took another week to arrive. After it was installed, the problem was not resolved. The dealer was going to order a compressor. At that time, I found information on this forum about the fuse in the high voltage junction box. I relayed that to the service advisor Up to that point they had not checked the fuse. They found a blown fuse in the high voltage junction box. Once they fixed that the A/C was working again. All told it took the dealer 33 days to fix the problem. The tech who worked on the problem told me that it would have been resolved sooner if he had known about the fuse in the high voltage junction box.

Obviously, Hyundai has not trained the technicians in their dealer network properly.

I have included a picture of the repair order section containing the information on the repair that resolved the A/C issue in my car. I hope this helps someone else resolve the same issue more expeditiously.

View attachment 45466
Just another sign of the times. The labor market is abysmal with hardly any qualified mechanics working anywhere. All you have is a bunch of parts replacers with no ability or the will to troubleshoot any problem that can't be fixed by a computer readout of the problem.

Tech schools and our education system in general is failing miserably. Add to that dealers and manufacturers that don't know how to fix the problem. But thank God they do know their correct pronouns and which bathroom they can use.

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
Hyundai is making an offer to buy my I5 back. It might be because I haven't been able to use my car for almost 2 months or that they tried twice to fix it with no luck. I'm surprised that @ron.schatten was able to get an inverter so quickly because mine took a long time and I'm still waiting on the second one, which was ordered over 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
My A/C has failed for the SECOND TIME in 10 months. .......I am the guy who started this thread back in Feb!
And just like before, they replaced the whole AC Compressor Inverter unit plus the High Voltage 30amp AC fuse.
Only this time, the parts "kit" was in stock, and it was fixed in a week, instead of 2 months. Thankyou Alto Hyundai!
I was on a long road trip when it failed & I had been using 350kw super chargers, so I was a little concerned that my battery might overheat during charging, but the service guy assured me the AC did not cool the battery in my AWD I5. The weather was pretty mild & I could get by without AC. We are in winter so I havent used the AC for some time....it could have died months ago. However I did notice the car was only accepting about 100kw max on the 350kw chargers......I guess it tries to take care of itself?
Still, I'm pretty pissed about it all, and am very concerned that I could have damaged my battery, and the AC will fail again!
The service guy is not aware of any upgrades that might have fixed the apparent design flaw in this car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are 50 sets of rules on this in the US. Basically, heating and air are key safety features you'd expect to have. New vehicles with these flaws and long delays to fix should qualify.
I was just checking to see if anyone else was having A/C issues with the IONIQ 5.

Apparently there are others.

Agree each state has their own set of lemon law rules. In Nevada its 4 attempts at repair or 30 days out of service.

We "had" a Lucid Blue SE AWD with the big battery. Loved it...worked great from March till July.
Our A/C when out on July 1st here in Las Vegas, It was 103 that day. I was about 18 minutes into a 100% charge at an EA station on 150kW charger, the A/C was on...which I had done before...and started to here a noise I never heard before coming from the front of the vehicle. So I turned off the A/C and finished the charge.

The A/C never came back on!

After 45 days out of service and no fix insight from our Hyundai dealership or Hyundai Engineering in Korea, I called Hyundai USA Claims number (1-800-633-5151) at the request of the dealership so they could move forward as well, and that phone call started the buy back process. Buy-back still in work but I have a NV lawyer on standby if needed. Anyone wanting more info just reply and I can give out what I have...Liked the IONIQ 5...going to miss her!

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
I was just checking to see if anyone else was having A/C issues with the IONIQ 5.

Apparently there are others.

Agree each state has their own set of lemon law rules. In Nevada its 4 attempts at repair or 30 days out of service.

We "had" a Lucid Blue SE AWD with the big battery. Loved it...worked great from March till July.
Our A/C when out on July 1st here in Las Vegas, It was 103 that day. I was about 18 minutes into a 100% charge at an EA station on 150kW charger, the A/C was on...which I had done before...and started to here a noise I never heard before coming from the front of the vehicle. So I turned off the A/C and finished the charge.

The A/C never came back on!

After 45 days out of service and no fix insight from our Hyundai dealership or Hyundai Engineering in Korea, I called Hyundai USA Claims number (1-800-633-5151) at the request of the dealership so they could move forward as well, and that phone call started the buy back process. Buy-back still in work but I have a NV lawyer on standby if needed. Anyone wanting more info just reply and I can give out what I have...Liked the IONIQ 5...going to miss her!
My buyback offer came in, a month after getting them the sales contract and loan documents. Lawyers couldn't do a whole lot once I started the buyback process, but they were helpful in explaining the process to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My buyback offer came in, a month after getting them the sales contract and loan documents. Lawyers couldn't do a whole lot once I started the buyback process, but they were helpful in explaining the process to me.
Thanks Tony. Good to know that you actually got the offer, makes us feel a little better. And I figured the lawyers would not be able to do much once we started the process with Hyundai. So one question, did your offer meet your expectations on what you would be getting back?

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
Thanks Tony. Good to know that you actually got the offer, make us feel a little better. And I figured the lawyers would not be able to do much once we started the process with Hynudai. So one question, your offer meet your expectations on what you would be getting back?
Yeah, it's a standard calculation that they do for buybacks. It is nearly everything you paid minus the usage from the miles on your car when the issue started.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Car has been at the dealer since 7/16 and I finally got an appt on 11/7 to surrender the car and get paid for the buyback. What a headache!
We have the same headache! Ours has been at the dealer since 7/5 and we still have not gotten an appointment to surrender the vehicle yet, we haven’t got the offer letter yet. It was supposed to be here this week. Customer service representatives are very slow to return phone calls and emails, they are terrible.
Good luck with your appointment, I hope that everything goes well for you

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
We have the same headache! Ours has been at the dealer since 7/5 and we still have not gotten an appointment to surrender the vehicle yet, we haven’t got the offer letter yet. It was supposed to be here this week. Customer service representatives are very slow to return phone calls and emails, they are terrible.
Good luck with your appointment, I hope that everything goes well for you
Same to you! I bugged my Hyundai agent every other day and maybe that helped. Then you get sent to another agent that deals with stuff before you get to the transfer agent, which takes a few weeks. It's a hassle but we will get there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another "same here" statement, we are on our third agent. The other two left the company we were told. Geez! Will let you know when we get to the transfer agent. Praying for you to get all your funds back and be done with it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has any one had any problems with their Ioniq 5 Air Con?
I am in Sydney & my A/C died on a 36 degC day - over 2 weeks ago.
Real problem is Hyundai don't seem to have the info or equipment to fix it!
They suspect a gas leak, but apparently need a dedicated re-gas machine + special EV gas, which they are reluctant to, or cant readily obtain.
First I took it to my local dealer who said they could not fix it because "they didnt have the right high voltage equipment" !
Then had to find a Blue Drive service dealer (ie EV) who have just given me the run around for 14 days now.
Of course its not your standard air con design....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibefq5yBbvM
Very frustrating. I'll keep you posted.
I am also having an issue with air conditioning. I returned it to be fixed bt am informed they need an inverter that has no eta so they cannot advise me when it will be fixed. I have waited 2 months to get his far with the fix. I am unhappy with this situation and hope to not begin a fight to return the vehicle. I really like the car,but wonder what will be next..... I know others at my dealer have had the same problem, yet there is no recall. There are no parts. For me this is not a good sign. I am praying for patience and that I will not lose my ****, although the hair on my back is rising and I will not hesitate to contact the state and return this pupply for a full refund. I like the car but this is very disappointing... and upsetting. Why Hyundai would not do a recall and get the parts needed to fix it is beyond me, unless they have a design flaw that they do not want to deal with. Unfortunate beginning here with Hyundai that I hope they make right without delay. I hope I can remain patient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took our Ioniq 5 SEL AWD to a certified dealer because the AC wasn't working around April 15th.. The heat never worked as expected, sometimes not at all for a while then it would come on and it was fine. I chalked it up to my lack of familiarity with the car. They've recharged the system, changed the compressor, inverter, climate controller board, checked the high voltage fuse, and as of today it is still not working.

In the meantime I decided to avail myself of Maryland's Lemon Law. Yesterday I received an email that HMA approved a repurchase of my vehicle, which only has 4,000 miles on it, and that the repurchase team's case manager will be contracting me with information on options - whatever that means.

I love the car, but this problem with the climate control system seems like Hyundai released an insufficiently tested vehicle with new tech in the climate control system (like alpha or beta test software) in a hurry to get a foothold in the market for their cars, and it apparently backfiring badly. Long waits for backordered parts, insufficient training, and a Tech Line that is essentially using a shotgun approach to try and address the problem - not at all confidence inspiring.

The wild card is what is Hyundai Motor of America going to offer me to make me whole. Ideally a zero out of pocket offer that puts me in a new SEL, but I am wondering after reading this and other threads about A/C issues will I be just asking for more of the same. The warranty may be an excellent one, but if it takes two months to resolve an issue like this, should I really be thinking about something else?
I am in the same boat, and very disappointed and upset. I like the car also, but this is not acceptable. I will likely call Maryland today. Did you get your car in Salisbury by chance? I know someone else has this issue at my dealer.

Very disappointing and a shame. I am growing more angry with each letter i type.

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
Yep, 4 month process for me and I still haven't received payment. Same inverter with no ETA. It's been waiting at the dealer since 7/16/22 with no updates. I'm glad to be getting rid of this car soon, mostly because this parts headache is a joke. They can build brand new cars but can't spare any to fix our issues, so they just buy it back... Meanwhile, you pay for insurance the entire time and they don't reimburse that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am also having an issue with air conditioning. I returned it to be fixed bt am informed they need an inverter that has no eta so they cannot advise me when it will be fixed. I have waited 2 months to get his far with the fix. I am unhappy with this situation and hope to not begin a fight to return the vehicle. I really like the car,but wonder what will be next..... I know others at my dealer have had the same problem, yet there is no recall. There are no parts. For me this is not a good sign. I am praying for patience and that I will not lose my ****, although the hair on my back is rising and I will not hesitate to contact the state and return this pupply for a full refund. I like the car but this is very disappointing... and upsetting. Why Hyundai would not do a recall and get the parts needed to fix it is beyond me, unless they have a design flaw that they do not want to deal with. Unfortunate beginning here with Hyundai that I hope they make right without delay. I hope I can remain patient.
My advice is to open a buyback case. Even though you like the car and will keep it when it is repaired. You should be offered a cash settlement at the end of the case when they propose to buy back the car or pay you cash to keep it. It is well worth a could of phone calls and sending your documents in.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts