Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
23 Cyber Gray Limited AWD
122 Posts
He says a new A/C control module was the fix. I wonder if he is referring to something else or if the part is actually called A/C control Module... Good info though!

Seems like part number is 97255-?
There seems to be a very long list of variants, so it would take some research or someone reading the number. Some are Genesis versions and show later versions. This list seems to include many unrelated models. Possibly "Control ASSEMBLY. HVAC Control Module" - For example: Search Hyundai Ioniq 5 Parts like 97255 Maybe there is a way to use the search by VIN? I guess it takes an expert, even with an old random VIN from the spreadsheet, I get a long list of modules: Search Hyundai Ioniq 5 Hvac Parts like 97255

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
There seems to be a very long list of variants, so it would take some research or someone reading the number. Some are Genesis versions and show later versions. This list seems to include many unrelated models. Possibly "Control ASSEMBLY. HVAC Control Module" - For example: Search Hyundai Ioniq 5 Parts like 97255 Maybe there is a way to use the search by VIN? I guess it takes an expert, even with an old random VIN from the spreadsheet, I get a long list of modules: Search Hyundai Ioniq 5 Hvac Parts like 97255
Yeah, I searched earlier and couldn't find one that looked like it matched the numbers/letters after the hyphen. But the control assembly HVAC Control Module sounds like it could be it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can you ask which inverter next time you talk with them? The A/C compressor has an inverter built into it, I'm guessing that might be the one. The primary cooling loop works with two other loops via a condensor as a heat exchanger and the fan cooled radiator. One of those loops includes the front motor, rear motor, rear inverter, ICCU, and front inverter. I don't quite understand the battery cooling loop yet, but it seems to be the second loop. I guess the primary cooling loop is out if the compressor fails to operate.

Maybe there is still some significant cooling from the three loops circulating through the condensor and fan cooled radiator, without the additional refrigerant cooling.

There is also a front inverter, rear inverter, and the hv to 12V inverter in the ICCU (the DC/DC converter)

yea, I paid the $90 for a month of summer technical reading bliss :)

The green PCB is the compressor inverter:
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Font Circuit component Map

·
Registered
3 Posts
My IONIQ 5 arrived 6 months ago and both heating and AC stopped working the same day.

I’ve had it at the main dealer 3 times and they’ve been unable to fix it. They don’t have a clue what they’re doing and don’t seem to care either. It’s a 6-12 week wait for any new parts as they don’t stock any parts in the UK.

Currently trying to return it via legal route so I can get something else.

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
My IONIQ 5 arrived 6 months ago and both heating and AC stopped working the same day.

I’ve had it at the main dealer 3 times and they’ve been unable to fix it. They don’t have a clue what they’re doing and don’t seem to care either. It’s a 6-12 week wait for any new parts as they don’t stock any parts in the UK.

Currently trying to return it via legal route so I can get something else.
Any info on what they tried to fix it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
In the video, both the A/C and heat came back when the tech replaced the module. He referred to the module as the A/C control module, however according the shop manual that module is mostly likely the I5 heater control unit.
Hood Sleeve Bumper Finger Gadget
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Vehicle Automotive exterior Hood

The I5 A/C control module is literally behind and included in that strip on the dash with the HVAC controls.
Display device Auto part Font Automotive exterior Electronic device

The PTC heater is powered by the hv battery (orange hv cable / orange hv connector). There are multiple PTC thermistors in the heater that when powered, directly generate the heat. Convection air from a blower circulates the heated air.
Circuit component Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Rectangle Cable

In some A/C failures, the A/C compressor winding literally starts to smoke. There may be other reasons for the smoke smell owners have reported here, however if you smell smoke, I would check the A/C and heat at some later point to see if both are still working (perhaps later after everything cools down).

It will be really interesting to see if there are many different causes of the HVAC failures, particularly A/C not working, or if it is mostly one common element, say a compressor failure, which might blow the hv A/C fuse, and if the large number of different component replacements is mostly just techs struggling to learn and gain experience with the new vehicle. I guess the replaced module was a different case, because both A/C and heat came back after it was changed (assuming they did not fail a short time later). In that case the tech indicated the failure was the CAN bus failure caused by an internal module failure, I think it was shorted pin, possibly shorted to ground.

It seems like there are still a relatively small number of affected I5s, but maybe more than a few.

·
Registered
4 Posts
European IONIQ 5 user here. After 2200km (1400 miles) my air conditioning stopped working after a high voltage loading session at the highway

During the session I tried starting the AC through the app because it was 34 degrees Celsius (93 Fahrenheit). The app gave me the following error:

Rectangle Font Technology Number Screenshot

Which translate roughly to “[Error] Remote climatecontrol could not be started. Check the status of your vehicle”

Back in the car it was clear that AC was not working and only hot (outside) air was blown inside the car.
I did not check the heater, great tip from reading your posts, i will try that asap.

I could visit the dealer the next day. They replaced all of the airco fluids. But that did not fix the problem. I was told that they think it is a faulty AC pump.

They will call me Monday with more details and a estimated delivery date for the pump.

After reading here don’t have high hopes that this will fix the issue. Might as wel check some fuses my self. Maybe use car scanner to look at some sensors. Any tips for that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Car Scanner shows the A/C compressor speed RPM and evaporator temperature in the aircon system. Evaporator hovers at 1-4°C in summer when A/C is on.

I would avoid DC fast charging as battery pack might overheat due to faulty A/C compressor and lack of efficient cooling - you should monitor max battery temperature in Car Scanner. And check for any error codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Car Scanner shows the A/C compressor speed RPM and evaporator temperature in the aircon system. Evaporator hovers at 1-4°C in summer when A/C is on.

I would avoid DC fast charging as battery pack might overhat due to faulty A/C compressor and lack of efficient cooling - you should monitor max battery temperature in Car Scanner. And check for any error codes.
great suggestion I will keep an eye on the battery temperature.

Currently I have a wireless Obdlink dongle.Can I use the car scanner iOS app to check theseAC stats

·
Registered
215 Posts
great suggestion I will keep an eye on the battery temperature.
Currently I have a wireless Obdlink dongle.Can I use the car scanner iOS app to check theseAC stats
Yes, app is called Car Scanner ELM OBD2. During install select connection profile Hyundai Ioniq 5 / Kia EV6. It will show more interesting info:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, app is called Car Scanner ELM OBD2. During install select connection profile Hyundai Ioniq 5 / Kia EV6. It will show more interesting info:

Aaah yes I did this already but did not find any A/C info yet. I will have another look later today.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
With some help from Mikael48 I checked the sensors in my car. This does not look great...
Cant find more info on the two found codes. Might look into that some more.

Also the heater is not really working but im not 100% sure since it was really warm already ;)
Black Font Screenshot Rectangle Multimedia
Screenshot Font Rectangle Software Multimedia
Black Font Telephony Communication Device Screenshot

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
They replaced the Inverter to try and fix the issue with no luck - still blowing hot air. They are reordering the same part, which is still on national backorder... Car has been unusable since the second week of July.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Cyber Grey Limited
181 Posts
They replaced the Inverter to try and fix the issue with no luck - still blowing hot air. They are reordering the same part, which is still on national backorder... Car has been unusable since the second week of July.
It's a shame how few good mechanics there are left. It used to be they could troubleshoot a problem and get it fixed the first go round. Now they must rely on a computer code that no one is familiar with and keep replacing parts until it works. Seems no one even understands the systems and how they function. They need some kind of factory training and some ingenuity. I guess new vehicles have become too sophisticated.🤪

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
224 Posts
It's a shame how few good mechanics there are left. It used to be they could troubleshoot a problem and get it fixed the first go round. Now they must rely on a computer code that no one is familiar with and keep replacing parts until it works. Seems no one even understands the systems and how they function. They need some kind of factory training and some ingenuity. I guess new vehicles have become too sophisticated.🤪
They had a Hyundai engineer out there to diagnose it, so it's not an easy problem to figure out. These systems have issues.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Cyber Grey Limited
181 Posts
They had a Hyundai engineer out there to diagnose it, so it's not an easy problem to figure out. These systems have issues.
That's exactly my point. They don't have qualified people that understand their own systems. This is really sad and shameful for a major car company. Any mechanical system should be able to be troubleshooted for any problem that occurs. The systems do not have serious issues. They just need someone that understands how they work. They sent an incompetent engineer.

Thousands of units perform exceptionally, mine being one. I have over 11,000 miles on the car and have just returned from a grueling 5400 mile trip in summer heat at the charging station as high as 102 degrees while fast charging at up to 230kw. The cooling system was phenomenal coming in hot off 2 hrs. of 75 mph speeds. It kicks in automatically keeping everything cooled down maintaining the fast charging we expect.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts