Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one had any problems with their Ioniq 5 Air Con?
I am in Sydney & my A/C died on a 36 degC day - over 2 weeks ago.
Real problem is Hyundai don't seem to have the info or equipment to fix it!
They suspect a gas leak, but apparently need a dedicated re-gas machine + special EV gas, which they are reluctant to, or cant readily obtain.
First I took it to my local dealer who said they could not fix it because "they didnt have the right high voltage equipment" !
Then had to find a Blue Drive service dealer (ie EV) who have just given me the run around for 14 days now.
Of course its not your standard air con design....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibefq5yBbvM
Very frustrating. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
Ioniq-5 AWD MY22
88 Posts
They suspect a gas leak, but apparently need a dedicated re-gas machine + special EV gas, which they are reluctant to, or cant readily obtain.
First I took it to my local dealer who said they could not fix it because "they didnt have the right high voltage equipment" !
Then had to find a Blue Drive service dealer (ie EV) who have just given me the run around for 14 days now.
Of course its not your standard air con design....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibefq5yBbvM
Yes, indeed, I have had similar problems. When I first took delivery of the car it was a 33 C day and the air conditioning was totally not working. I returned the car within an hour of taking delivery. They gave me a loner and I picked up my car with the aircon working perfectly after the weekend. That was early last November. Now, four months later, the aircon has died again. My car is with them while they work out what to do. On top of a particularly unpleasant experience with the young lady who dealt with me (I waited for three hours with no updates) I am not very happy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been waiting for Hyundai to fix my dead A/C for 5 weeks now - and only after serious hassling & complaining (Hyundai Customer Care in particular) they have promised that the necessary compressor will arrive by end of next week (18 Mar). It took them 3 wks to figure out where the problem was.....Its all too new for them. Apparently the I5 has to have a very special gas and dedicated re-gas machine for the A/C system.
Austin: If your Service Dept cant figure it out, tell them to call Alto Hyundai Artarmon (Sydney). Did yours make "frog" noises at times.....particularly just before it died?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2021 Ioniq 5 AWD Air Con & Heater has been dead 6 weeks now. It doesn't heat or cool.
It took Hyundai over 2 weeks to decide (they think) it needed a replacement compressor (worth ~$8K !).
The replacement compressor has just arrived!...hope to install next week. I'll keep you posted

But FYI I5 HVAC system works like this:
Reading between the lines it suggests the system also cools the battery during fast charging, although my dealer denies this.

·
Registered
Ioniq-5 AWD MY22
88 Posts
My Kia EV6 has a problem with the air conditioning. Waiting on parts too.
I've had the same air con problem. They have acknowledged that it's an intermittent fault and say they'll be back to me.

BTW, I see you have an EV6. Have you driven an I-5? I ask because I'm not happy with the unsporty somewhat laggy and heavy steering on the I-5. I'm wondering if the steering on the EV6 is more direct, with more of a sporty feel if you like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My AWD I5 dead AirCon has finally been fixed - after 8 weeks. In the end they replaced the compressor, the Inverter, the gas, and a high voltage fuse.
Some say Australian models dont have the full "heat pump" HVAC system, but from what I can see (I took off the frunk) it has all the bits shown in the Hyundai video I linked above.
Does anyone know how to tell exactly what build configuration your car has?

·
Registered
Ioniq-5 AWD MY22
88 Posts
I suspect my Aircon problem is different. The first symptom was that it wasn’t functioning. I took it to the agent who confirmed that there was an intermittent fault. They have booked me in for what he said was a software fix that might take a few days – all a bit weird. That’s happening in a few weeks' time. Since then it’s been working reasonably well although the air direction – the blower – seems to come on go so maybe it IS just some kind of strange software problem.

You ask about the configuration. When it’s working well I am amazed at how quickly the aircon comes on. As soon as I hit the power button there is a blast of cold air absolutely immediately so there’s some pretty fancy technology going on. I’m in Australia where it’s been summer the whole time since I picked up the car so I have not yet had to use the heating. That will happen within a month. I’ll be interested to see how well that works.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My Kia EV6 has a problem with the air conditioning. Waiting on parts too.
Same for me - the resistive heater works just fine, but the AC compressor doesn't even turn on anymore, in heat or cool modes (AWD w/heat pump). When I dropped the car off this morning, a second brand-new EV6 pulled in behind me with the same issue. Seems they whiffed on the implementation of the HVAC system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My A/C and heat was not functional after 600 miles (I5 Limited - California). Part finally came in on May 5. A/C was working beautifully for 2-3 days and suddenly on the 3rd day it stopped working again. It was on Auto the whole time and all I did was modify the temperature setting cooler or warmer. Is it just me or is this a defect? I will call the dealership again, and this time the part better be available sooner.
(Frustrated)

·
Registered
128 Posts
My A/C and heat was not functional after 600 miles (I5 Limited - California). Part finally came in on May 5. A/C was working beautifully for 2-3 days and suddenly on the 3rd day it stopped working again. It was on Auto the whole time and all I did was modify the temperature setting cooler or warmer. Is it just me or is this a defect? I will call the dealership again, and this time the part better be available sooner.
(Frustrated)
The resolution in my (EV6) case was that the original part had been assembled into the car without any lubrication - it should have come charged with something like 140ml of compressor oil, but it did not, so it was loud and subsequently burned out.

When the replacement compressor came in, they verified it had the proper charge of oil, then installed it. It's WAY quieter (which is kind of impressive since it wasn't terribly loud before) and of course works reliably now.

So I'd be wiling to bet there was some run of compressors produced without oil when they should have been, without a remidial fill happening before or on the final assembly line.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I seem to be only having a problem with heat. Is this the same issue or is this problem only related to no heat and cooling working? I made an appointment in 2 weeks to see what they say
Tough to say from afar. Some european owners were having heat issues solved by replaced compressors/compressor drivers. I THINK there's a heat failure mode where the compressor is dead, preventing heat pump operation, and it still doesn't work even though you've got a PTC that could be doing the work. I don't really know though.

·
Registered
Ioniq-5 AWD MY22
88 Posts
The resolution in my (EV6) case was that the original part had been assembled into the car without any lubrication - it should have come charged with something like 140ml of compressor oil, but it did not, so it was loud and subsequently burned out.

When the replacement compressor came in, they verified it had the proper charge of oil, then installed it. It's WAY quieter (which is kind of impressive since it wasn't terribly loud before) and of course works reliably now.

So I'd be wiling to bet there was some run of compressors produced without oil when they should have been, without a remidial fill happening before or on the final assembly line.
There is certainly something strange going on with the air conditioning. First, when we took delivery of our vehicle last November the air conditioning was not working. They sent the vehicle away for what we assumed was a re-gassing – the assumption was that the factory had forgotten or omitted to put in the air conditioning gas..
All was well for a few months until about six weeks ago some strange things started happening with the air conditioning going off – the air direction not doing what we told it to do. I phoned our dealer who made an appointment a month later for what he said was the replacement of the air conditioning software. The time delay was, he said, due to their engineers needing to get up to scratch with what exactly was required .
The appointment came up last week. I took the car in and three hours later it was given back to me with very little information other than that the relevant software was updated. They couldn’t tell me what was actually changed but, anyway, it’s been working fine ever since.

·
Registered
77 Posts
2022 RWD SEL in Texas. One week ago, A/C stopped working nearly 3 months after purchase. They filled with Freon and dye. I drove it one day. A/C worked only one day. They found a leak at the O-rings. Car is in the shop waiting on identifying the right parts to order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took our Ioniq 5 SEL AWD to a certified dealer because the AC wasn't working around April 15th.. The heat never worked as expected, sometimes not at all for a while then it would come on and it was fine. I chalked it up to my lack of familiarity with the car. They've recharged the system, changed the compressor, inverter, climate controller board, checked the high voltage fuse, and as of today it is still not working.

In the meantime I decided to avail myself of Maryland's Lemon Law. Yesterday I received an email that HMA approved a repurchase of my vehicle, which only has 4,000 miles on it, and that the repurchase team's case manager will be contracting me with information on options - whatever that means.

I love the car, but this problem with the climate control system seems like Hyundai released an insufficiently tested vehicle with new tech in the climate control system (like alpha or beta test software) in a hurry to get a foothold in the market for their cars, and it apparently backfiring badly. Long waits for backordered parts, insufficient training, and a Tech Line that is essentially using a shotgun approach to try and address the problem - not at all confidence inspiring.

The wild card is what is Hyundai Motor of America going to offer me to make me whole. Ideally a zero out of pocket offer that puts me in a new SEL, but I am wondering after reading this and other threads about A/C issues will I be just asking for more of the same. The warranty may be an excellent one, but if it takes two months to resolve an issue like this, should I really be thinking about something else?

1 - 20 of 131 Posts