Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
161 - 180 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
On the US SE trim (non-Bose), the rear is very weak. I am not sure if this is the head unit's fault or the speakers, but I will be replacing the rears and seeing how it turns out. I will replace the fronts if the rears sound much better (i.e. the head unit isn't the problem).
Both.
Unless you have discerning passengers in the rear, save those for last.
Even then the fronts will provide a better sound.
The speakers are junk, but just replacing them won't really give you a greatly improved sound, a bit better, but you really need to a add an amp to get the most. I fitted a Kicker Key 200.4, it does some auto voodoo dsp stuff and greatly enhances the sound. Though you migot have to fiddle with all the controls to get the sound you like.
I had to set the low end crossover switches to 80hz and mess with the in car EQ (such as it is) to tailor the sound more to my liking.

·
Registered
I5 LR RWD> RIP-Audi S4
549 Posts
I have a french ioniq 5 (not Bose). The rear speakers are much weaker than the front speakers for the same volume adjustment. Do you guys have the same issue?
The rear speakers appear to be junk.
I'd like to change just the rears in order to have the same volume front and back.
The speakers in the Ioniq 5 are JUNK, replace your fronts first, then move to rears after adding an amp. Just take the plunge otherwise you will probably do it later. I wish I had done it all together in one shot, would have saved some cash. I have Hertz Mille Pro MPX 165.3 to go in the rear w sound deadening, then entire system completed and imho well worth it

·
Registered
I5 LR RWD> RIP-Audi S4
549 Posts
How much did it cost you ? I don't need anything fancy, just a bit louder in the back.
But is it a speaker issue or an amplifier issue ?
Amplifier is required, I spent a good chunk , alot is labour cost as I wanted it done clean and neat w quality products. Replacing rear speakers w good quality speakers will require an amp to drive them properly. The stock amplification via the infotainment unit is just not enough. If it means you save for a while do it, replacing speakers alone will just leave you disappointed in time. Its just a fact. Sub is also required, at least an under seat mount type, consider at minimum a Pioneer TS WX 130DA. Take my comments understanding I love my music in the car and want enough volume to overcome exterior noise if driving w windows down:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
On the US SE trim (non-Bose), the rear is very weak. I am not sure if this is the head unit's fault or the speakers, but I will be replacing the rears and seeing how it turns out. I will replace the fronts if the rears sound much better (i.e. the head unit isn't the problem).
The front and rear woofers are the same poor-quality speakers. Replacing the rear isn't going to make them put out much more sound. Try adjusting your Front/Rear balance +4 to the rear. It will sound more balanced. In my view, it is the programming of the head unit. Center isn't actually the Center for the F/R adjustment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For people that know car audio, can you recommend a set of front speakers to replace my Bose speakers without breaking a bank? Thinking maybe $200ish for a set, any suggestions? Thank you.
I replaced all of the speakers in my car with excellent results. I helped a friend that also has an Ioniq 5 replace just the tweeters in the front door. Took 10 minutes. Adjusted the Front/Rear +4 to the rear and it sounds much, much better. Crisp, clean, and plenty of bass.

We used the Hertz C26 OE tweeters from Crutchfield $169.00.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't want to break any plastic clips in the process of dismantling the door housing in order to reach the speakers.
The tweeters are under the black plastic in the corner of the front door windows. It pops off easily. There are plastic pry tools you can use. You don't have to remove the door panel to replace the tweeters.

·
Registered
I5 LR RWD> RIP-Audi S4
549 Posts
Thanks, but what about the rear speakers which are really weak compared to the front ones, it seems that changing them won't do any good if I don't change the amp ???

Correct, I see many saying adjust the sound to rear, if majority of time if you have no passengers why since there is some sound w stock speakers but I agree very weak. Some like the surround effect but I personally prefer the active sound system that does require a dsp amp, it is superior imho. Changing the rear speakers to better will require an amp of some sort to drive the speakers because anything decent will require more power and the HU can not supply enough. Hertz, Audison , Focal ,Alpine , Kenwood are some speaker options w many more. Adding the amp is night and day but will cost you....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys,

getting ready to receive our Hi5 SEL really soon and I'm starting to plan out my system. This will be my first audio installation as I'm planning on doing this in a more budget way.
I'm trying to have this installed in a very discreet way so the amp and subwoofer can be hidden.

My plan will be:
  • Hertz CPK 165 PRO for the components - fronts. Don't care about rears
  • Kicker Key 200.4 Amp
  • I'm not sure what sub to install, because I want it to be hidden. I wanted to go with the Audison APBX 10/8 but it looks like it's too tall to fit in the hidden compartment in the trunk. Was thinking of the JL 8" Ported powered sub as well. If not, then I'll have to go with an under-seat subwoofer.

How tall is the hidden compartment in the trunk? Is there any way to fit a subwoofer in there at all? That was my pain plan in putting the amp and subwoofer in.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey guys,

getting ready to receive our Hi5 SEL really soon and I'm starting to plan out my system. This will be my first audio installation as I'm planning on doing this in a more budget way.
I'm trying to have this installed in a very discreet way so the amp and subwoofer can be hidden.

My plan will be:
  • Hertz CPK 165 PRO for the components - fronts. Don't care about rears
  • Kicker Key 200.4 Amp
  • I'm not sure what sub to install, because I want it to be hidden. I wanted to go with the Audison APBX 10/8 but it looks like it's too tall to fit in the hidden compartment in the trunk. Was thinking of the JL 8" Ported powered sub as well. If not, then I'll have to go with an under-seat subwoofer.

How tall is the hidden compartment in the trunk? Is there any way to fit a subwoofer in there at all? That was my pain plan in putting the amp and subwoofer in.

Thank you so much.
just got a Kicker 11hs8, it barely fits under the rear passenger side seat. the rear drives side has some kind of obstruction that makes it too tall. It will fit in the "hidden" area of the trunk. another possibility I didn't try is the area behind the rear seats there is a bit of room even with the rear seats all the way back.

FYI the bolts holding the HV panel on under the cargo area is not ground. I got 8vdc when I tested it. the bolts holding down the rear seats are ground.

FYI part 2
I took one of those cheap digital oscilloscopes to the output of the headunit, and it seem that it doesn't clip till you get to 65 or so on the volume. control. this was with both sine1khz and a sweep coming out of my iPhone via the usb input.

Good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
just got a Kicker 11hs8, it barely fits under the rear passenger side seat. the rear drives side has some kind of obstruction that makes it too tall. It will fit in the "hidden" area of the trunk. another possibility I didn't try is the area behind the rear seats there is a bit of room even with the rear seats all the way back.

FYI the bolts holding the HV panel on under the cargo area is not ground. I got 8vdc when I tested it. the bolts holding down the rear seats are ground.

FYI part 2
I took one of those cheap digital oscilloscopes to the output of the headunit, and it seem that it doesn't clip till you get to 65 or so on the volume. control. this was with both sine1khz and a sweep coming out of my iPhone via the usb input.

Good luck
Oh man, I was thiking of installing a JL Powerwedge 10" under the seat. But I will have to measure the rear trunk if it can fit in there since the depth is 5". I managed to hear the kicker yesterday and it wasn't what I was looking for.

I've ordered the Hertz already and am thinking of just going with Audiocontrol D-4.800 Amp + DSP for the Hertz to keep it compact and also the Hertz are quite power hungry.

161 - 180 of 208 Posts