Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

As I said in the title, I bought the car on Wednesday, drove it home. Enjoyed Thanksgiving on Thursday. Went to drive the car today (Friday) and the check engine light is on. I drove it about 30 miles.

So, among other things, I'm worried this is a sign of the (bad) reliability of this car. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

The salesperson was no help. She gave me her manager's number, but when I called, he said the service lights do sometimes come on even on a brand new car, so it may be just a glitch.
-- This sounds like bull to me. Anyone know about that being true?

(Venting no)

When I first texted the salesperson and she just asked for a picture. That'd be fine, except she didn't apologize for the situation. That's not a great sign. (Seriously, if I was a sales person and this happened to someone, I'd be VERY apologetic about it, offer to do whatever it takes to get it resolved, put me in a priority, etc, etc.)

I still haven't heard back from her manager nor anyone else and it's been a few hours.

After I complained to her manager about having to bring a brand new car in for service, he said he was really the Ford part of the dealership couldn't help and he'd transfer me to Hyundai. (I won't get into my call being bounced around).
--- So, I told the sales agent that she gave me the wrong extension and she said he works both parts. So, I asked why he would say he couldn't help and transferred me away? No answer.

I'm supposed to take the car in. After two days. Hardly any support from the dealer - no call backs, no information, just "bring it in". It's under warranty and service will take care of things. Grrr, this is why I brought a new car, to avoid hassle and services. I mean, at a minimum, if I sell it later, the CarFax is going to show a service at 100mi..

I just want to return the car now and try another dealer or just give up on an Ioniq. (I'm in WA state, though, so it seems the only way to do that is via Lemon Law.)

What worries me the most is the uncertainty. Is this "just a glitch" or is it indicative of future problems.

(venting done grumble -- sorry about that and thanks :) )
---

Again, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Ric

·
Registered
212 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ric, sounds like initiation by fire to me.
That's a shame and very unusual IMO, certainly not the norm.
Which model of IONIQ? Hybrid or Plug-in?
Any other warning besides CHECK ENGINE?
Anything special occurring when the warning came on or was it on as soon as you turned on the car.
Chances are it's a simple glitch or something, regardless though, it will certainly be taken care of under warranty.
Good luck and hoping you had an otherwise Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi everyone,

As I said in the title, I bought the car on Wednesday, drove it home. Enjoyed Thanksgiving on Thursday. Went to drive the car today (Friday) and the check engine light is on. I drove it about 30 miles.
I'm just looking at my own Hybrid / Plug-In manual and I see 3 engine warning lights listed:
1) Check Hybrid System (Refrain from driving while warning is displayed)
2) Check Hybrid System. Turn engine off. (Warning blinks & warning chime sounds)
3) Check Hybrid System. Do Not Start Engine. (Warning chime will sound - DO NOT START)
Any of these sound familiar? And yes, they all require Dealer Inspection.
I'm almost out the door, but others will be along I'm certain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone,

So, among other things, I'm worried this is a sign of the (bad) reliability of this car. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

The salesperson was no help. She gave me her manager's number, but when I called, he said the service lights do sometimes come on even on a brand new car, so it may be just a glitch.

(Venting no)

When I first texted the salesperson and she just asked for a picture. That'd be fine, except she didn't apologize for the situation. That's not a great sign. (Seriously, if I was a sales person and this happened to someone, I'd be VERY apologetic about it, offer to do whatever it takes to get it resolved, put me in a priority, etc, etc.)

I still haven't heard back from her manager nor anyone else and it's been a few hours.

After I complained to her manager about having to bring a brand new car in for service, he said he was really the Ford part of the dealership couldn't help and he'd transfer me to Hyundai. (I won't get into my call being bounced around).
--- So, I told the sales agent that she gave me the wrong extension and she said he works both parts. So, I asked why he would say he couldn't help and transferred me away? No answer.

I'm supposed to take the car in. After two days. Hardly any support from the dealer - no call backs, no information, just "bring it in". It's under warranty and service will take care of things. Grrr, this is why I brought a new car, to avoid hassle and services. I mean, at a minimum, if I sell it later, the CarFax is going to show a service at 100mi..

I just want to return the car now and try another dealer or just give up on an Ioniq. (I'm in WA state, though, so it seems the only way to do that is via Lemon Law.)

What worries me the most is the uncertainty. Is this "just a glitch" or is it indicative of future problems.

---

Thanks in advance.

Ric
Don't know which vehicle you have, but.............
Check my post: "Advertisement" letter from a law firm, about recalls. In the Hyundai IONIQ Hybrid forum.
I have a 2019 (US) Ioniq, HEV (gas and elect) My engine light came on (steady, not blinking). Dealer checked it and had to order a "coil". The only occurrence with the vehicle is an intermittent "rough idle". Part had to be ordered.
From what service writer stated, you can drive this car if engine light is NOT "blinking"
Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heya, thanks for the replies. I have an update. It's a Hybrid, not a Plug-in. I went to an Auto Parts store and had them check the code (Dealer is 40min away and they were 5).

Code is P0365 - which, according to the internet is "Exhaust Camshaft Signal Missing". Which does not sound good.

So, I drove home and to a Thanksgiving dinner. After that, I then got a new alert:

!
HEV

The above in a triangle with the words: "Check Hybrid system. Turn off engine". The warning chimes and all.

So, it's worse now. Luckily, I'm a mile from home and walked. During the walk I talked to the GM of the dealer and they are calling roadside assistance. I told them I wasn't going to wait in the freezing cold.

So, I've asked for a refund!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Once again, good luck ric!
Hoping you will be good enough to keep this post updated or start a fresh one if you're up to sharing your results.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't understand calling the salesperson or the dealer GM. In the states, we have free roadside assistance. The number is on the side glass. I would have called that number first. They would pick it up, take it to the nearest dealer, fix it, and I get my car back.

It sounds like a faulty sensor. Usually a quick fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'll keep you all updated.

I had the sales and GM's numbers, so it was easy to call them. I'd have to anyway to let them know about the car coming in, so I called them first. I couldn't run the car, it was freezing out, I wasn't dressed all that warmly, I know it can be an hour or more for them to get there (indeed, the initial ETA was 90min) and I was a short walk away.

The salesperson ended up driving a loaner out to me and was going to ride back with the tow truck, except the actual tow company (AAA) said no riders due to liability issues (despite the Hyundai RA assuring us that she would definitely be able to). So, she took the loaner back last night and is due to come back out to get me.

I don't want this car back though. - I'm fine with the depreciation of driving a new car off the lot, but later on if I want to sell it/trade in, everyone's going to look at the CarFax and ask about the service at 100mi and take that into account. More importantly, I've had two separate issues in two days. Will there be more? How many more? I expect this car to like be my previous cars - no issues throughout the warranty (at least. And none have had problems at all.). I bought new again, so I wouldn't have to have to keep taking it in or worry I'll be stranded somewhere.

Anyway, she told me they have an identical one on the (secondary) lot and we could definitely do a swap. So, I'm hopeful and pleased about that. I'm expecting her call any minute now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have my fingers crossed for you. You go girl! :)

Edit: I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed for you!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know which vehicle you have, but.............
Check my post: "Advertisement" letter from a law firm, about recalls. In the Hyundai IONIQ Hybrid forum.
I have a 2019 (US) Ioniq, HEV (gas and elect) My engine light came on (steady, not blinking). Dealer checked it and had to order a "coil". The only occurrence with the vehicle is an intermittent "rough idle". Part had to be ordered.
From what service writer stated, you can drive this car if engine light is NOT "blinking"
Good Luck
Thanks for this. I hadn't had a chance to look at it until now. It might be related, so it's good to know.
I'm in WA (and the letter is CA), but I did look through the Lemon Law pamphlet I got at purchase. It says (depending on the issue), 0, 2 or 4 repairs to become active. So, that's future stuff. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Update:

Good news. They gave me a different car, just happened to be identical to the old - same features, color, etc. So far, no bad lights!

Thanks for all your replies!
YAY !!!! 👍😃🥂🎉
Your dealer did the right thing, they solved the problem instead of $crewing around. KUDOS to them!!
Gotta love a happy ending. Have fun with your new, new car! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you bought it from HOK? They have the best prices, but the worst service dept
Hyundai of Kirkland? Yeah, I thought that. Thanks for additional info. - For the first car, the tires were (way) under inflated and so we went back to the service department and I was not impressed. There's actually two other dealers a bit closer, so I'll likely visit them.

Where do you take yours in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have not had any issues with my ioniq to visit the service at HOK, but i bought 2 vehicles from HOK due to price. When i was looking around there i went to the service dept to ask a few questions. they were indifferent to my presence. that was not a good sign. i have called service to ask what the oil change price was and no one in service ever picks up. leave message no call back.

When i was talking to my sales guy i expressed my opinion of the service and he said ' yeah everyone complains about them to us, but there is nothing the owner will do about it " at least he was honest about it .

So when my 2019 Tucson for oil change i took it to car pros in Renton. The service people there were great. no problems . if i need service i will take it to them. Seeing i am in Bellevue both hok and renton are about the same distance .

where you take your vehicle for warranty work does not matter as long as they are a Hyundai dealer. people think they take it to the selling dealer they might get better service , but in my expereince i have not found it matters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone,

(Venting no)

---

Thanks in advance.

Ric
Try the diagnostic report on the phone hyundai app.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I was considering CarPros. Good to hear good news about them. Also, they're slightly closer, no bridges and I'd avoid 405, so all plusses. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts