Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m about to get a home 220v charger and I’m just trying to figure out how fast I’ll get with a 40a breaker.

The public chargers all advertise 6.6kW charge rate, but my car reports 6kW when plugged in. Is this the car’s max speed? Or is this just a charging efficiency loss?

What is the max speed you’ve seen reported on your 2020 Ioniq via AC?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Does Canada run 220v, or are they 240v like the US (we often incorrectly say 110v and 220v).

I'm reading that the Ioniq has a 7.2 kW onboard charger, so that's the max you'll see.

A 40a breaker can continuously supply 80% of that rating, or 32a. That works out to 7.68 kW on 240v, or 7.04 kW on 220v.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
119 Posts
My home charge was limited to 5.8kW by the installer and the car has not problem drawing that but at any public charger rated 7kw and above the most I have seen is 6.2kW from one rated at 22kW. I don't know where the limit is being applied. Don't think its the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 32amps charger Zappi and if I dont use the solar sys I get 7kw , car reporting, I assume .2 must be cable loss, most of the time I use the solar sys.

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
119 Posts
Is it different when you do use the solar system?
I suspect the zappi system tracks the solar output and limits power draw to not go above solar production. This is what I wanted but didn't do my research properly :(. I have to set the car to minimum charge rate so house and car don't go above the 5kW solar system limit and hope clouds don't blow over.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My parents have a SolarEdge 7.6 kW inverter with L2 EVSE. They don't have an EV yet, but I wonder what use it is considering they are net-metered on an annual basis? The one benefit I see is that it saves space in the electrical panel and eliminates the need for a dedicated EVSE circuit; a potential money saver.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Zappi allows to set charging priorities. If you select eco + will supply the solar generation to the house first. Left over production to the car if any left over it will supply ( sell surplus to the grid) grid. You have an app that you can override your settings if you want the car charged first and at max it will use a mix of solar and grid to maximize the car charge. As you all aware the max Ioniq level 2 charge for the 38kw is 7.2 kw minus cables loss.

·
Registered
81 Posts
At Asda Colchester I get 7.4 kWh charge but some 7 kWh charger I get 6kwh or less. May be down to Voltage fed to charge point or cable losses to charger. I hate 3.4kwh charger one hour to get just over 15 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got about 10-90% charge yesterday from a Level 3 DC charger in about 30 minutes

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
Are you really sure? That would be 80% charge of 38.3 kWh, which is roughly 30 kWh in half an hour. That would be an average charging power level of 60 kW what has never been found for the 2020 Ioniq EV (it is always below 50 kW).

Reactions: Ebatt and KevinT

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just checked the EV charger app summary and it was two sessions (it clonked out a bit into first session so had to start a second one)
  • 1st was 10kwh in 14 minutes
  • 2nd was 16kwh charged in 31 minutes.

so total average about 26 kWh in 45 minutes total , so roughly 200km in that time?
So yes, my earlier estimation was too high, but after getting the numbers still not very far off.

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
Yes, these are indeed the normal kinds of numbers: 43 kW and 31 kW.

Reactions: Knifyspoony

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all! Here's the low down on Chargers for your EVs. If you're in North America, you have 240 volts at your house. Unless you're in an apartment or something, then there's a possibility that you have 208V. (single phase vs 3 phase
Most home chargers are rated at 32amps, thus you need a 40 amp breaker. But remember that the breaker is only designed to protect the wire that's connected to the device. NOT the device itself. So if you have a 32amp charger and 240 volts, your car will suck 7.2kw. If you have 208 volts, and the same charger, your car will suck 6.6kw.
Note that the charger on your wall at your house is just a glorified oven. It only provides AC Voltage and AC Current. It's smart about it, but even still... The charger is actually in your car. You provide AC by connecting it to your house, and the charger under your seat (usually) is what does all the hard work. It will take whatever power your home charger will throw at it up to about 7.7kilowatts.
If you connect to a level 3 charger, the charger inside your car only negotiates the power that your battery will take in up to 60 kilowatts. That's the max that the ioniq will take. I've seen it while plugged into the chargers at PetroCanada EV Chargers. Those chargers are capable of up to 200kw for the teslas etc.

If you connect to a level 3 charger and you're only pulling like 25kw or less, you can thank your car FOR SAVING YOUR BATTERY. Usually it's because the battery is hot. Remember that the charger outside your car doesn't dictate how many kilowatts your car pulls. It's the battery management system in the car.

Smile and say to yourself, "Well, I could be burning gas," if your car is taking forever to charge.

-Graham

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello all! Here's the low down on Chargers for your EVs. If you're in North America, you have 240 volts at your house. Unless you're in an apartment or something, then there's a possibility that you have 208V. (single phase vs 3 phase
Most home chargers are rated at 32amps, thus you need a 40 amp breaker. But remember that the breaker is only designed to protect the wire that's connected to the device. NOT the device itself. So if you have a 32amp charger and 240 volts, your car will suck 7.2kw. If you have 208 volts, and the same charger, your car will suck 6.6kw.
Note that the charger on your wall at your house is just a glorified oven. It only provides AC Voltage and AC Current. It's smart about it, but even still... The charger is actually in your car. You provide AC by connecting it to your house, and the charger under your seat (usually) is what does all the hard work. It will take whatever power your home charger will throw at it up to about 7.7kilowatts.
If you connect to a level 3 charger, the charger inside your car only negotiates the power that your battery will take in up to 60 kilowatts. That's the max that the ioniq will take. I've seen it while plugged into the chargers at PetroCanada EV Chargers. Those chargers are capable of up to 200kw for the teslas etc.

If you connect to a level 3 charger and you're only pulling like 25kw or less, you can thank your car FOR SAVING YOUR BATTERY. Usually it's because the battery is hot. Remember that the charger outside your car doesn't dictate how many kilowatts your car pulls. It's the battery management system in the car.

Smile and say to yourself, "Well, I could be burning gas," if your car is taking forever to charge.

-Graham
On the 38kWh ioniq, if you are only pulling 25kW it's more likely due to the battery not being hot enough! At least up to about 73% charge anyway!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've seen it while plugged into the chargers at PetroCanada EV Chargers. Those chargers are capable of up to 200kw for the teslas etc.

-Graham
Thats something I think is about to happen all over the country. Regular gas stations will start to invest in super fast EV Chargers.......if they are smart and want to also cash in on Ev's as more and more people turn away from ICE. Thats why I thought that the Tesla superchargers all over the place are less of a bonus in the future as opposed to right now where there aren't many alternative choices.

I even think its going to become so commonplace for businesses to put up charging stations in their parking lots to attract customers, like WIFI is now free and just about everywhere in coffeshops, restaurants, hotels, etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is no money in charging infrastructure. Demand costs are too high, and they are underutilized to recapture those costs. Perhaps it can draw some customers who want to buy overpriced groceries.

EVs are a poor choice for longer trips right now, but why do we need to advertise them as the perfect vehicle for every use? It's perfectly fine having them primarily used for local travel, especially for households that have more than 1 vehicle.

With the current state of things, a low range EV for local trips and a PHEV for longer trips makes the most sense for my situation.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
810 Posts
Thats something I think is about to happen all over the country. Regular gas stations will start to invest in super fast EV Chargers.......if they are smart and want to also cash in on Ev's as more and more people turn away from ICE. Thats why I thought that the Tesla superchargers all over the place are less of a bonus in the future as opposed to right now where there aren't many alternative choices.

I even think its going to become so commonplace for businesses to put up charging stations in their parking lots to attract customers, like WIFI is now free and just about everywhere in coffeshops, restaurants, hotels, etc.
If Blue Mountain and Mount St Louis Moonstone had a decent quantity of level 2 destination chargers I could have gone full EV instead of going with the PHEV I have now. Hopefully this still isn't an issue when it comes time for me to upgrade.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I will bet you that Blue Mountain will have a set of EV chargers very soon. I used to go with my Model S regularly years ago (2013/4) before any superchargers existed in ontario. EV's and Teslas were very few on the roads. I literally was forced to plug into regular outlets for the entire night, and could not make return trip same day, only overnighters. Now EV's and Teslas are everywhere. The cost to put up level 2 and 3 chargers at the village to not dissuade EV's from making the excursion from Toronto will be made up for in spades by the $$$ those people will be spending on food, skiing, lodging etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts