Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was wondering if the hybrid has battery heating apart of active cooling, or does it rely only on the cabin heating?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Yes, active heating and cooling, and yes, that is affected by cabin temperature. It is possible under some extreme conditions that battery needs will activate HVAC, and indeed there is a vent under the front seats aimed at the battery air vents.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, active heating and cooling, and yes, that is affected by cabin temperature. It is possible under some extreme conditions that battery needs will activate HVAC, and indeed there is a vent under the front seats aimed at the battery air vents.
Please explain how the active heating works!

·
Registered
109 Posts
So no active heating there.
Ioniq battery has a fan only which draws air from the cabin, and that essentially means that if you don't heat the cabin, there is no way the battery will get heat. You could call that passive heating and active cooling (because of the fan).
If you leave the car at extremely cold temperatures I doubt it will start its engine by itself to heat the cabin and heat the battery.
On the other hand cars like Nissan Leaf (years 2013+) have active heating, which consists of heating elements placed between the battery modules. In extreme cold it will turn on its heating elements on its own to prevent damage to the battery.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No heating element, no active heating. Try heating your home with a fan!
Back to cars and an example. Now ambient temperatures here are around -5° to 0°. I'm usually doing short trips with the PHEV (5-7 km) on EV and not starting the engine at all using only heated seats. Haven't experienced forced engine start and cabin heating self-activation so far and I'm pretty sure the battery won't get heated by the fan.
But by now I'm sure you won't see the logic, so call it whatever you like, its still wrong.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
My home has active heating. External combustion furnace (about 97% efficient compared to a small fraction for waste heat from ICE), and a fan to move it about. Not sure why ambient temperature is important here, what is important is cabin (or home) temperature. Active, not passive. My home is like a battery, a fan moves conditioned air about. I suppose you might also use your logic to say that water conditioned batteries don't have active heating either. They typically have water going through the same source as cabin heating. As our cars have air going through the conditioned cabin.

You can condition your battery in cold weather by preheating the cabin before you leave. That is active conditioning via the battery fan. You can also use a battery waste heat approach by charging until you leave in the morning. That is not active heating per se, but timing your charge to take advantage of the heat produced.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Does the hybrid actually activate its (cooling) fan for heating? There is no problem with this resulting in condensation inside the cold battery?

I think the BEV heats the battery by using it. Running power will heat the battery-pack (internal resistance). The BEV with the cold climate package installed uses a resistance heater below (about) -5/-10degr.C and doesn't activate the (cooling) fan (I never heard it, or it's very silent). Heating only happens while driving and during charging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts