Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

About the Ioniq 5 door handles

66K views 222 replies 57 participants last post by  Tcos 
#1 ·
I just watched the following video and had a question about the door handles. On a spec sheet someone linked me to yesterday it said that only the P45 had "auto" door handles. Seems a bit odd that their top of the line Ultimate model doesn't. Basically I'm talking about the doors unlocking when you're near the car with the smart key. And with regards the door touch sensors; is that also a P45 only option?

#3 ·
This reply has only managed to confuse me more 😂
I know when you click the button on the fob that the handles pop open or retract closed. But in the video I just referenced, they show what they call "auto handles". It works on proximity to the smart key. The video also shows a finger sensor that pops and retracts the handles. I'm not sure of these features are only available on the P45 or if they are also available on the Ultimate.

#4 ·
Now it is not, it is also on higher trim levels, not only on the P45.
There are 2 systems:
A) Manual type: on LOWER TRIMS
locking

To lock button using the door handle touch sensor or the Smart Key:
1. Make sure all doors, the bonnet and the tailgate are closed.
2. Press the Door Lock button (1) on the Smart Key. The hazard warning doors will blink with an alarm, and the handles will be locked.
3. In addition, pushing the button on the door handle (the engraved part) whilst keeping the smart key will lockall doors.

unlocking
To unlock your vehicle using the door handle button or the Smart Key:
1. Make sure you have the smart key in your possession.
2. Pushing the button on the door handle (engraved part) or press the Door Unlock button (2) on the smart key. All doors handles will be unlocked but not pop out and the hazard warning lights will blink twice.
3. After unlocking the doors, the doors will automatically re-lock after 30seconds unless a door is opened.

B) Electrical type on HIGHER TRIMS:
locking

To lock your vehicle using the door handle touch sensor or the Smart Key:
1. Make sure all doors, the bonnet and the tailgate are closed.
2. Press the Door Lock button (1) on the Smart key. The hazard warning lights will blink with an alarm, and the handles will retract back. In addition, touching the touch sensor on the door handle (the engraved part) whilst keeping the smart key will lock all doors and let the door handle to retract back.

unlocking
To unlock your vehicle using the door handle touch sensor or the Smart Key:
1. Make sure you have the smart key in your possession.
2. Touch the touch sensor on the door handle(engraved part) or press theDoor Unlock button (2) on the smart
key. All door handles will pop out and the doors will be unlocked and the hazard warning lights will blink twice.
3. After unlocking the doors, the doors will automatically re-lock after 30seconds unless a door is opened.

#6 ·
I don't know if this is in the manual, or a real thing or whatever, but I recall some earlier information saying there was a setting that could be enabled that would make the handles pop out automatically when you approach with the fob (FWIW, my 2014 mazda3 can unlock the doors automatically the same way, so i'd be surprised if that was trim limited, but I guess we'll see)

#18 ·
From Page 5-13 of the English user manual.
To activate Approach unlock system for only the drivers seat (door??), select 'Settings -> Vehicle -> Door -> Remote power door open -> Unlock all doors' in the infotainment system screen.
Presumably this unticks a box that is already ticked?
The manual has many typos and some sections that seem to refer to an ICE car.

#23 ·
In the US live broadcast on Wednesday, he showed a screen that has the driver door only or all door check boxes. However the car is a prototype so things may change on the production model.
Pretty darned common feature on most newer cars, but I could even do it on a 2001 that did not have an infotainment system. And since Hyundai cars already have this feature (which is a personal safety feature), cannot imagine why they would delete on on a highly touted new car.

#27 ·
Sorry to revive an older thread, but following on from a few comments I saw on the "First impressions" thread - I thought this might be a better place to continue that discussion.

This mainly seems to be a UK related issue where there seems to be a bit of uncertainty around the Ioniq 5 door handles 'popping out' when you unlock the car (or by using the proximity sensor). It seems as though all the P45 cars have this feature as well as the first batch of Premiums to land in the UK (namely the dealer demonstrator cars), but it seems that all later batches of cars (including Ultimate trim) only seem to have the 'Manual' handles where you physically have to push in the front of the handle in order to grab the bit that pops out to open the door.

I have an Ultimate AWD Tech&Eco on order which should be delivered in a few weeks and I'm now starting to worry that mine will also only have the manual door handle option. I know it's only a minor thing, but on a £50k+ car, having to explain to your passengers how to open the doors seems a bit crap.

The original spec sheet suggested 'Flush door handles' for SE Connect, Premium & Ultimate and 'Flush door handles - Auto' for the P45. I was under the impression that the 'Auto' meant the proximity sensing handles which pop out when the key is near to the car without needing to press anything. I wasn't fussed by the proximity sensing handles, but perhaps naively assumed the Ultimate trim would have the pop-out handles when you unlocked the car - primarily because the dealer demo Premium trim cars did have this feature.

Does anybody have any conclusive answers as to whether the Ultimate trim door handles do pop out when the car is unlocked? Or are all UK destined cars from now on going to have the manual handles only?

#28 ·
Sorry to revive an older thread, but following on from a few comments I saw on the "First Impressions" thread (First impressions) - I thought this might be a better place to continue that discussion.

This mainly seems to be a UK related issue where there seems to be a bit of uncertainty around the Ioniq 5 door handles 'popping out' when you unlock the car (or by using the proximity sensor). It seems as though all the P45 cars have this feature as well as the first batch of Premiums to land in the UK (namely the dealer demonstrator cars), but it seems that all later batches of cars (including Ultimate trim) only seem to have the 'Manual' handles where you physically have to push in the front of the handle in order to grab the bit that pops out to open the door.

I have an Ultimate AWD Tech&Eco on order which should be delivered in a few weeks and I'm now starting to worry that mine will also only have the manual door handle option. I know it's only a minor thing, but on a £50k+ car, having to explain to your passengers how to open the doors seems a bit crap.

The original spec sheet suggested 'Flush door handles' for SE Connect, Premium & Ultimate and 'Flush door handles - Auto' for the P45. I was under the impression that the 'Auto' meant the proximity sensing handles which pop out when the key is near to the car without needing to press anything. I wasn't fussed by the proximity sensing handles, but perhaps naively assumed the Ultimate trim would have the pop-out handles when you unlocked the car - primarily because the dealer demo Premium trim cars did have this feature.

Does anybody have any conclusive answer as to whether the Ultimate trim door handles do pop out when the car is unlocked? Or are all UK destined cars from now on going to have the manual handles only?
I actually had an official answer from hyundai.

It seems that the first batches of Ioniq 5 had a production error, where All the cars had the automatic handles (not proximity ones).

As of now, i was unable to get a clear answer for the production date This error was corrected. So we wont know untilm more cars start getting delivered.

#35 ·
I test drove a Premium in the UK and it had the auto door handles.
Ordered a GG Ultimate with tech pack but then cancelled it as I was not told it was Matte paint.
Re ordered another colour.
Well the GG Ultimate one turned up and I can confirm it doesn't have auto handles.
So The Grey one I have arriving in a months time probably won't either.
Extremely disappointed and will probably cancel that one now.
Not paying £50k and having the now non-auto awkward handles.

#37 ·
I called my dealer this morning to find out what the situation is with the Premium I’ve ordered. It‘s his day off so I’m no further forward in that regard. I do wonder though if because my car is coming with VTL if it may also have the auto handles - in effect it would be specced the same as all the demo Premiums the dealers have.

I’ll find out next week and if it does not have them then I will be cancelling. Another thought I had last night about the manual handles was how my father-in-law, who has bad arthritis in both of his hands, would get on with them.

#39 ·
As many are saying, keyless entry seems a fairly basic expectation for a car this new & expensive!
My thoughts exactly, hence my concern that some other Ultimate owners seemingly didn't get the auto door handles. It seems to be completely random at the moment so hard to tell what we might end up with. Glad to hear yours does have the auto handles anyway - they might be a 'rare' selling point when it comes to resale! :)

#46 ·
Just checking understanding on this. I have a GG unlimited trim RWD 72.6kWh. No options. The cars handles come out when you unlock the car and return when you lock. I turned off the 'on approach' feature since I walk past may car a lot and don't wont it opening every time. Same with the automatic boot since I was washing the car and it decided to open as the key was in my pocket. 1st world issues n all. Are we saying now that new batches don't have the handles coming out when you unlock the car? or that they just don't do it on approach and you have to use the fob. An improvement would be to allow just the drivers handle as having all the handles pop when its just u in the car seems a bit daft and opens you up to car jacking that little bit more.

#49 ·
Are we saying now that new batches don't have the handles coming out when you unlock the car? or that they just don't do it on approach and you have to use the fob. An improvement would be to allow just the drivers handle as having all the handles pop when its just u in the car seems a bit daft and opens you up to car jacking that little bit more.
Yep, it seems cars being built now don't have electronic 'pop-out' door handles of any description - they remain flush to the door unless a they are physically pushed on the one side to reveal the 'pull' part of the handle. Only the P45 should have had the electric pop-out handles but some early built Premium/Ultimate trim also got them by "mistake". It seems rather convenient that all of the demo cars do have them.

#47 ·
I have just seen my car, ultimate with 2 packs and it has the manual handles. Spoke with the manager who contacted Hyundai, and the UK models are not supposed to come with auto handles, doesnt matter on the trim, they are all supposed to be manual. However some from the first batch slipped through with auto handles. No more of them moving forward will have auto handles, they will all be manual, as in will not pop out for any reason.

#60 ·
The Premium I signed up for about 10 days ago was sat at the UK dock (is it Tilbury?) at the time, so I don’t know when it would have been built or with what extras. It’s due here sometime in the next week so I’ll find out then unless the dealer is able to access the actual spec of the car before.

#61 ·
to add a bit more fuel to the fire... would people with cars already collected mind sharing the last 6 digits of their VIN and whether they have the pop out handles? Those numbers should indicate your serial number and I assume are in order of build, so we might be able to find the point where they stopped fitting it. From the sounds of things, the batch that last arrived at Tilbury (with some cars still to be delivered) has a mix of cars with and without the feature.

#63 ·
I suggest you give Vin-last 6, Model, option packs for completeness.
The Spec sheet Hyundao sent me shows:
Models SE, Premium, Ultimate, P45
Exterior Door Handle - Flush ● ● ● -
Exterior Door Handle - Flush Auto - - - ●
Exterior Door Handles - Body Coloured ● ● ● ●

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.