yes
Side Body Moulding - Chrome
yes
yes
Side Sill - Anthracite Colour
yes
yes
yes

There is no mention at all of the mechanism of the door handles so it is entirely reasonable to assume it is the same as the car that was test driven which had proximity pop-out handles.

CJ

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 73kw on order
15 Posts
My opinion: it's very irritating that there are differences between early specs and prototype and the cars that are actually delivered. This is not a problem of your dealer, or hyundai Uk, buyers have these issues is also in Germany, Holland,... And not just the flush handles, rear seats electric or not, interior / exterior lighting,... So somewhere down the line, communication on actual specs, of production issues was not communicated. On the other hand, I saw the handles manually, they are OK. And is that really why you wanted this car? For me looks and technology are what mattered, and it still holds up against the Y, mustang, ID4,... with or without the handles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The specs released before any car arrived in the country, only stated that the P45 would have auto handles and that other trims wouldn't. I don't think it is misselling if some cars have features that they shouldn't unless you were told at the point of purchase that it had features that it doesn't.
But you are basically saying the spec sheet says it doesn't have it so we should have just assumed the car was wrong. No it's the other way around, there is a physical product in front of me to test, if the physical product i am trying has it, then I would assume the spec sheet is wrong. It's a lot easier to make a mistake on a spec sheet than on the physical product!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
The specs on the Hyundai UK website say this:

Exterior
FeatureSE ConnectPremiumUltimate
19" Alloy Wheels
yes
yes
58 kWh RWD
20" Alloy Wheels73 kWh RWD and AWD only
Door Mirrors - Black
yes
yes
Door Mirrors - High Glossy
yes
Exterior Door Handle - Flush
yes
yes
yes
Exterior Door Handles - Body Coloured
yes
yes
yes
Rear Spoiler with Integrated LED Brake Light
yes
yes
yes
Side Body Moulding - Black
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

There is no mention at all of the mechanism of the door handles so it is entirely reasonable to assume it is the same as the car that was test driven which had proximity pop-out handles.

CJ
That is a very recent change in the specifications and I'm assuming it is so people don't ask about auto since auto isn't mentioned. The specifications read differently, at least until a month ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
But you are basically saying the spec sheet says it doesn't have it so we should have just assumed the car was wrong. No it's the other way around, there is a physical product in front of me to test, if the physical product i am trying has it, then I would assume the spec sheet is wrong. It's a lot easier to make a mistake on a spec sheet than on the physical product!
I didn't assume either way but I questioned it with the dealer and they confirmed what the trim that I was ordering would have (although they weren't sure why the demo model has spec that it shouldn't).

·
Registered
119 Posts
That is a very recent change in the specifications and I'm assuming it is so people don't ask about auto since auto isn't mentioned. The specifications read differently, at least until a month ago.
They are the same when I ordered and test drove the car on August 12.

CJ

·
Registered
74 Posts

CJ
Exactly

I didn't assume either way but I questioned it with the dealer and they confirmed what the trim that I was ordering would have (although they weren't sure why the demo model has spec that it shouldn't).
But that is a more recent thing. When I purchased 2 months ago, even the dealers assumed it would come with it. As I said for more recent purchases, it is now known, but for the people who ordered before any of this came out, it is miss selling

·
Registered
5 Posts
The specs on the Hyundai UK website say this:

Exterior
FeatureSE ConnectPremiumUltimate
19" Alloy Wheels
yes
yes
58 kWh RWD
20" Alloy Wheels73 kWh RWD and AWD only
Door Mirrors - Black
yes
yes
Door Mirrors - High Glossy
yes
Exterior Door Handle - Flush
yes
yes
yes
Exterior Door Handles - Body Coloured
yes
yes
yes
Rear Spoiler with Integrated LED Brake Light
yes
yes
yes
Side Body Moulding - Black
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

CJ
That's a really good point. I was staunchly in the camp of 'Hyundai said it was P45 only, it's not their fault you interpreted what they meant by auto wrong', but that's because we saw the spec list for the Project 45 which had an extra row for auto handles. It makes complete sense for someone shopping today to see that all UK cars have the same door handles on the spec sheet, test the Premium at the dealer and expect that their ordered car would also have them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·

CJ
You're right, it didn't. I checked a cached copy of that page from July and it looks the same as the present one. I got it confused with this: (which is what made me question the handles in the first place).

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Slope

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Exactly

But that is a more recent thing. When I purchased 2 months ago, even the dealers assumed it would come with it. As I said for more recent purchases, it is now known, but for the people who ordered before any of this came out, it is miss selling
While I sympathise with you, unless you have signed and paid for the vehicle, there is no mis-selling in this case. You are offered an opportunity to decline the vehicle when you see it for a full refund.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Incidentally, the UK (RHD) version of the P45 was meant to have auto powered child locks and it doesn't. The P45 was meant to have the front illumination panel light up when the car was being charged and it doesn't.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While I sympathise with you, unless you have signed and paid for the vehicle, there is no mis-selling in this case. You are offered an opportunity to decline the vehicle when you see it for a full refund.
I didn't realise when inspecting the car because the doors were already opened, even then until I saw this post I thought that it was something I've missed in the settings. The manual doors are ok, a bit fidly, I just have to remember to use the right hand for the driver and left hand for the passenger side.
The annoying thing about this particular issue was that my first thought when I saw the auto handles in action during the demo was "That's better than the Tesla!", my wife was also impressed. So it created a positive first impression that turned out to be false.

·
Registered
74 Posts
But also remember, it has taken 2 months for my car to arrive. You can't just say well just refuse it. What am I supposed to do without a car? I need a car! I can't just wait another few months. All of that time that would be wasted would be Hyundai's fault

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I didn't realise when inspecting the car because the doors were already opened, even then until I saw this post I thought that it was something I've missed in the settings. The manual doors are ok, a bit fidly, I just have to remember to use the right hand for the driver and left hand for the passenger side.
The annoying thing about this particular issue was that my first thought when I saw the auto handles in action during the demo was "That's better than the Tesla!", my wife was also impressed. So it created a positive first impression that turned out to be false.
I absolutely get that, I really do. I'm certain had the dealerships been properly briefed before the vehicles landed, none of these things would be an issue. Some of the people on this very forum knew more about the car than the dealers did when the cars landed. Hyundai have a **** of a lot to answer for in how this launch was handled but my point remains - for those that do now know about the handles, it's a question of either compromise or moving on. Those are the only two outcomes we can effectively control.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
But also remember, it has taken 2 months for my car to arrive. You can't just say well just refuse it. What am I supposed to do without a car? I need a car! I can't just wait another few months. All of that time that would be wasted would be Hyundai's fault
Honestly mate, I'm not suggesting you don't speak to a solicitor. I'm simply saying that according to the letter of the law as far as mis-selling is concerned, it hasn't happened. Maybe your solicitor can find a different avenue to pursue or maybe you'll be a few grand short on solicitors fees and still have manual handles or be a few grand short and still not have a car. At the end of the day, you need to gauge how important auto pop handles are to you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I've been down to the dealer's in the last couple of hours to see what all the fuss is about.

"My" car is actually there now, but fortunately they also had one just like it in the showroom (and out of the pouring rain) that I could play about with.

First thing, no power to the handles at all, as we were expecting. The thing he said on the phone about "touching" the handle to make it slide out was totally wrong. You have to press one end of it in with your thumb and catch the handle with the palm of your hand to open the door. As bluechicken says above you have to use your right hand for the driver's side doors and your left hand for the nearside ones (though I suppose this is the same for doors with grab handles if you think about it).

Next thing I asked to see was if the unlocking of the car was part of this procedure. It's not. If the car is locked you have to first unlock it either with the key fob button or by pressing the square shaped indentation on the handle (quite firmly).

In this setup, it's a faff, there's no doubt about it. A real triumph of form over function. This notwithstanding though, I still really like the car, so I've decided I can live with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm fully expecting mine to not have the pop-out handles when it arrives, can't say I'm not disappointed with this and how it's all been handled by HUK, but it's not the end of the world. I'm just going to play "very upset customer" with the dealer to try and get some free mats / boot liner etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm fully expecting mine to not have the pop-out handles when it arrives, can't say I'm not disappointed with this and how it's all been handled by HUK, but it's not the end of the world. I'm just going to play "very upset customer" with the dealer to try and get some free mats / boot liner etc.
I already had free mats as part of my deal. He's doing me "GardX" ceramic paint protection for half price as a further sweetener.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A good side of having manual handles is when things get a bit icy, door handles tend to get frozen over sometimes. The tiny little solenoids used to pop out the auto handles probably won't be beefy enough to break the ice and eventually cook themselves. At least with manual handles you have the opportunity to clear the ice yourself. Like my Dad always says "it's less to go wrong".

161 - 180 of 192 Posts