Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
A good side of having manual handles is when things get a bit icy, door handles tend to get frozen over sometimes. The tiny little solenoids used to pop out the auto handles probably won't be beefy enough to break the ice and eventually cook themselves. At least with manual handles you have the opportunity to clear the ice yourself. Like my Dad always says "it's less to go wrong".
My dad use to say really weird things too. Like, "Son, the first cut is the deepest".
He was a lovely man, terrible surgeon though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I've been down to the dealer's in the last couple of hours to see what all the fuss is about.

"My" car is actually there now, but fortunately they also had one just like it in the showroom (and out of the pouring rain) that I could play about with.

First thing, no power to the handles at all, as we were expecting. The thing he said on the phone about "touching" the handle to make it slide out was totally wrong. You have to press one end of it in with your thumb and catch the handle with the palm of your hand to open the door. As bluechicken says above you have to use your right hand for the driver's side doors and your left hand for the nearside ones (though I suppose this is the same for doors with grab handles if you think about it).

Next thing I asked to see was if the unlocking of the car was part of this procedure. It's not. If the car is locked you have to first unlock it either with the key fob button or by pressing the square shaped indentation on the handle (quite firmly).

In this setup, it's a faff, there's no doubt about it. A real triumph of form over function. This notwithstanding though, I still really like the car, so I've decided I can live with it.
Yeah, it's not terrible once you get used to it. With a normal grab-pull handle you can use any hand to grab and pull, it's the having to push and catch that made it awkward as the "wrong" hand will have to be twisted so that your palm faces inwards.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just taken delivery of my RWD Long Range Ultimate and handles are manual. Dealer said the whole transporter had manual handles. Fairly easy to operate but early days yet. Am going to discuss with Hyundai UK.

CJ

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just taken delivery of my RWD Long Range Ultimate and handles are manual. Dealer said the whole transporter had manual handles. Fairly easy to operate but early days yet. Am going to discuss with Hyundai UK.

CJ
Congrats on the delivery :) no more needing to track ships for awhile.
no auto door opening might be a blessing.
I was cleaning the car over the weekend and the boot opened while I was spraying water over as it detected my key.
water promptly drains to the metal bits but mostly not dripping inside.
Still a pain to dry it all before shutting it all again…

promptly deactivated that feature (again, as I had done that before on the guest profile on day 1)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a shortage of motors used to pop the handles out and that's why they're all manual. Or did I dream this??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up my tech ultimate rwd long range yesterday after having test driven a lower spec model. The handles auto popping out was one of the dumb things that made me love the car - just thought it was cool. Really disappointed by the manual handles as they are worse in function than just a normal handle. Really awkward for a lefty. Just that feeling when you think you’re getting top spec and something is not quite right.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just picked up my tech ultimate rwd long range yesterday after having test driven a lower spec model. The handles auto popping out was one of the dumb things that made me love the car - just thought it was cool. Really disappointed by the manual handles as they are worse in function than just a normal handle. Really awkward for a lefty. Just that feeling when you think you’re getting top spec and something is not quite right.
As a fellow left-hander, I'm with you all the way. Did you have a go at the dealer about it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a fellow left-hander, I'm with you all the way. Did you have a go at the dealer about it?
I haven’t. I drove away thinking I’d live with it. But today I’m not so sure. I like the car, just feel I’ve been the victim of a bait and switch. I might contact Hyundai directly. Find out the reason and whether it can be recitified down the line. I’m only leasing so... just 3 years of annoyance ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I haven’t. I drove away thinking I’d live with it. But today I’m not so sure. I like the car, just feel I’ve been the victim of a bait and switch. I might contact Hyundai directly. Find out the reason and whether it can be recitified down the line. I’m only leasing so... just 3 years of annoyance ...
I'm sure this kind of thing will be covered in their T&Cs somewhere. I felt I was on strong ground if I wanted to cancel my order over this, but that was the extent of my options really apart from screwing some extras out of the dealer. In the end I decided I would live with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm sure this kind of thing will be covered in their T&Cs somewhere. I felt I was on strong ground if I wanted to cancel my order over this, but that was the extent of my options really apart from screwing some extras out of the dealer. In the end I decided I would live with it.
Same - am going to contact Hyundai UK about it. Looked at the only other comparable car, the EV6 but that is now March delivery at earliest for new orders, at least six months away and have already sold the car the Ioniq 5 was replacing. Apart from the handles I am finding it pretty awesome.
CJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same - am going to contact Hyundai UK about it. Looked at the only other comparable car, the EV6 but that is now March delivery at earliest for new orders, at least six months away and have already sold the car the Ioniq 5 was replacing. Apart from the handles I am finding it pretty awesome.
CJ
it is an amazing drive and the rest of the tech is great. For me it’s just that annoying fly in the ointment.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts