Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EV-ites; OK so we all know that any EV will loose "X" miles per Kw[or some such term} with the heater set to 75 USA degrees, and the fan on low. The hot seat is useful in winter, ditto the steering wheel heat{If you have that}. But the EV is not as warm as my armchair in front of my electric fireplace-SO--
I borrowed a trick from the Days Long Past with my 1960 VW Beetle. For those too young, the Beetle was such that it was hard to keep warm in it, in August in the Sarah Desert! never mind a New England Winter.
So, I went to my cedar trunk with the winter items in it- found my WW02 Issue WOOL blanket{not poly-dip stick plastic sort=useless}. I took it to the IONIQ, sat down, covered the lower half of me with the blanket{ the top part was happy in a WOOL coat and Wool Sweater}. Then start the machine, turn on the seat heat, I have no steering wheel heat, and drove off into the cold night.
And Presto! the seat heat is trapped in the folds of the wool blanket, to keep me warmer; rather than the heat escaping into the COLD cabin air. Thus I have found 'the trick' for a warm IONIQ when winter REALLY gets here.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
39 Posts
I refuse to sit in a modern car and freeze or wrapped in a blanket unless it is an emergency! And I would say that the cabin climate in the Ionig is very efficient.
And the range loss of heating of the cabin I would say is minimal in comparison to how the ambient temperature affects the battery range.

The Ioniq seems to be loaded with technologies for increased efficiency, it uses a heat pumps to capture energy from the atmosphere/electrical components in the system thats need to be cooled to heat the cabin (about 3x more efficient than a stand alone electrical heater)

And the cabins heat system is a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heater. These provide rapid, noiseless warming of cabin and windshield defrost, independent of waste heat. Due to their self-regulating capabilities, they are slightly more efficient than resistive heaters.

And for even more energy savings, instead of warming up the cabin air, even in "drivers only" mode it’s more energy efficient to use the car’s heated seats and steering wheel, if available, since heating the cabin air can draw 3,000-5,000 watts compared to around only 75 watts(!) used to heat both the seats and steering wheel.

It also helps to precondition the vehicle. Turning on the car’s heaters while it’s still plugged in will minimize the auxiliary load by warming (or cooling) the vehicles interior before starting your trip

Rather than be concerned about losing range, being informed will go a long way. Which electrical consumers drain the battery quickly and which do not — and while charging infrastructure continues to expand — range loss is becoming less of an issue. Better to stay and recharge once than to freeze the whole trip! And for daily commuting, back and forth to work, I more than happily put 25% of my energy on a warm cabin! YOLO! (You only live once)

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
509 Posts
If you're as skinny as I am, I can recommend an extra layer in the house, in the car, and anywhere else! patra.com sell excellent thermal long-johns & roll-neck long-sleeve vests, and they're recently introduced bamboo fibre which seem to me to be as comfortable & effective as their original silk ones were, and about 1/2 the price! What's not to like?

Disclaimer: I have no connection with, or shares in patra etc etc. Just a warm & happy customer!

Reactions: Kilted Tailor

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
39 Posts
Todays commute, 66km (43.4 miles), below 0 degrees in Sweden today (ºC /32ºF) , car covered in a thin layer of snow now in the morning, started the trip to work with full package on, cabin temperature 22ºC (72ºF), heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel and heated rear window.
The differece in range is only 10km/6miles with heating system On/Off according to the onboard computer, climate control takes 11% of the energy used, totally acceptable in my opinion!
Communication Device Gadget Font Software Screenshot

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
174 Posts
It would have been nice of Hyundai to fit the heat pump in Australian vehicles for the 3 months where it does actually get cold. ( not north winter cold but still ices my bones) our heater is no where near that efficient.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Limited. 2020 Kia Niro
32 Posts
Most or all buyers in the USA do NOT get a heat pump or heated steering wheel, which makes using the cabin heater a battery eater. It may not hurt the range as much as the cold weather does, but it does hurt. I have a small wool blanket my sister made for our children, who are now all grown up, which I am going to use.

I spent two winters in a 17 year old VW without a heater and the heated seats and a blanket saved me. I also used a winter camping trick and put really hot water in a Nalgene bottle and kept it under the blanket which was the only thing that kept my hands warm. At rest stops I would let the water in the bathroom sink get as hot as it could and re-fill the bottle. It REALLY helps!

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most or all buyers in the USA do NOT get a heat pump or heated steering wheel, which makes using the cabin heater a battery eater. It may not hurt the range as much as the cold weather does, but it does hurt. I have a small wool blanket my sister made for our children, who are now all grown up, which I am going to use.

I spent two winters in a 17 year old VW without a heater and the heated seats and a blanket saved me. I also used a winter camping trick and put really hot water in a Nalgene bottle and kept it under the blanket which was the only thing that kept my hands warm. At rest stops I would let the water in the bathroom sink get as hot as it could and re-fill the bottle. It REALLY helps!
Thank you for this comment and the other Idea! I just saw a video where the non heat pump heater chews up 17% of the battery use, some "pro' can check the numbers for accuracy, if they wish to. And I have to wonder WHY the US version 'cheaps out ' with these features, and WHY Hyundai thinks its a good idea to keep two systems going for one auto at "X $". Related: Does any other there with the Tech Knowledge know if the 'guts' to the heated steering wheel are in ALL wheels, and if so, can they be wired to work? Or would that cost more than 03 Tesla 's to do?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts