Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat Estate Diesel (omg!)
146 Posts
Yes they are, but as with everything, there's good and bad stuff.
Overall it's really good, but looks like the infotainment system and its so-so sportiness are the most criticized aspects.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the sportiness doesn't bother me too much coming from a Mazda CX-5 ;)

And I think the infotainment is sorted by using Android Auto?

·
Registered
146 Posts

Same here coming from a VW Passat...
Yeah, Android Auto is idd pretty hands-off with good enough Google Assistant (and in full screen mode :eek:), but it's also about turning on heating/ventilating seats, and other settings you flick more than once a month.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tesla’s has been uncommonly good, likely due to the higher quality computer. My Mazda is rubbish at recognizing my commands.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
211 Posts
There are different problems with reviews:
  1. Everybody can become a journalist or Youtuber these days with or without car knowledge.
  2. Most of the reviewers doesn't take the time to read the manual before driving. I have seen journalists testing the acceleration in normal mode (RWD only). Don't forget that because of the double-glass, the good isolation and no noise, you think that the car is not so quick, but 5.2 sec from 0-100kmph is really quick. The remarks they made about infotainment are most of the time incorrect, again because they didn't read the manual.
  3. This is a Korean car, so for English, German or French journalists this is a threat because they also have their own cars. I see this more and more certainly in these difficult days. The Jaguar I-pace was a fine EV car, but old-fashioned compared to the Ioniq 5. The products of VW are already outperformed today. Renault runs behind and so on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Same here coming from a VW Passat...
Yeah, Android Auto is idd pretty hands-off with good enough Google Assistant (and in full screen mode :eek:), but it's also about turning on heating/ventilating seats, and other settings you flick more than once a month.
As much as I'd like to see dedicated physical controls for common features, is it necessarily fair to knock them (in such a way that the points matter :p) when the default market reference, tesla, buries everything in the infotainment system?

Can someone confirm that android auto actually uses the whole (more or less) display? It uses the whole screen in my Mazda3, but it makes terrible use of the ~7" screen such that it's really hard to actually read anything on the map display. I'd like my next car to be better at that (on that note: Has there been word of google adding EV charging to google maps?)

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
69 Posts

Thats what i am figuring as well. I passed on the review link to my brother for some feedback as he owns a long range performance M3. He was a bit surprised that Hyundai continued to use the same infotainment system in the NEW Ioniq 5 rather than building a better offering. For me I would have preferred better but I am an Android user so I will be streaming Spotify most times and when I require visual navigation I will connect via wire to Google Maps but most times I am good w audio navigation. I really wished it had wireless Android auto as I don't need my phone always charged to 100%. Other nitpicks , wish the USB were Type C not A but other than that overall I am still pretty happy w the reviews. I do see giving up some sportiness coming from an S4 and also realize car will be a bit slower vs what I am used to with my ICE vehicle. However one can't beat instantaneous torque. Hoping the latest notification for Canada being winter 2022 does not turn into a longer delay and perhaps pre orders are not part of that

·
Registered
146 Posts
As much as I'd like to see dedicated physical controls for common features, is it necessarily fair to knock them (in such a way that the points matter :p) when the default market reference, tesla, buries everything in the infotainment system?

Can someone confirm that android auto actually uses the whole (more or less) display? It uses the whole screen in my Mazda3, but it makes terrible use of the ~7" screen such that it's really hard to actually read anything on the map display. I'd like my next car to be better at that (on that note: Has there been word of google adding EV charging to google maps?)
CarPlay seemed to have done a better job than this:

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Except for Tesla, car makers are pretty bad at software development. They never saw it as a core part of their product offering, IMHO.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
211 Posts
You see, if the reviewer is a real automotive journalist like Steve Fowler (Editor-in-chief of AutoExpress UK), that they can appreciate a good and unique car.
The Ioniq 5 received 4 titles of car of the year 2021 and Steve said comparing to the other years it is really the best. See video:
AutoExpress 2021 car of the year

32FF6B2C-0EFE-4CFC-990B-5DA65D78C46A.jpeg

·
Registered
102 Posts
You see, if the reviewer is a real automotive journalist like Steve Fowler (Editor-in-chief of AutoExpress UK), that they can appreciate a good and unique car.
The Ioniq 5 received 4 titles of car of the year 2021 and Steve said comparing to the other years it is really the best. See video:
AutoExpress 2021 car of the year

View attachment 34510
German reviewers will be biased towards Volkswagen, Korean towards Hyundai. The UK has no automotive industry to speak of, so they can be objective ;-)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts