Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post, please go easy. I bought a used 2019 Ioniq EV from Carvana for 22,000. It only has 1,000 miles on it, so it’s just like new. Question: My commute is 85 freeway miles one-way. If the battery is at 80 percent, do you think I can go 85 miles without recharging? I haven’t received the car yet as it’s being shipped from NJ and I’m in California.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it's flat freeway miles and you don't exceed 65 mph, and you don't use your heater or air conditioner (and keep the windows up) you are probably okay. I have this car and have driven on a freeway for as many miles. I just would be concerned about staking my paycheck on it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Our 28 kWh model happily and easily (i.e with range to spare) did the 85 miles from here to my Mrs' Mum right up to when we traded it (at 18k miles, 2 years) most of that at Motorway speeds (~70mph), summer or winter, heat, air or not. As long you start out full and you can recharge it either at destination ready for the trip back or en route if no such option exists, you should easily be good to go.

·
Registered
689 Posts
In the summer, you should arrive home with about 10% to 20% charge remaining - depending on speed, etc. I'd recommend charging to a higher SoC immediately before you leave. The time spent at that high SOC will be very small and not harm the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the summer, you should arrive home with about 10% to 20% charge remaining - depending on speed, etc. I'd recommend charging to a higher SoC immediately before you leave. The time spent at that high SOC will be very small and not harm the battery.
Thanks to all for the info. I’m excited to get my new car, but a little apprehensive leaving my gas engine behind.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks to all for the info. I’m excited to get my new car, but a little apprehensive leaving my gas engine behind.
Sacornel, it's a well known fact in the EV community that range anxiety is only for those who don't have an EV. Once you've had your vehicle for a few weeks, you'll quickly learn what it can and can't do in terms of range. You'll learn where the charges are and where they are not, and adapt. It's hard to "run out of fuel" by mistake when you have a pretty accurate range estimate right on the dash in front of you. Additionally, with useful aids like "A Better Route Planner" (ABRP) for road trips, pre-planning is now quite easy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
....range anxiety is only for those who don't have an EV. Once you've had your vehicle for a few weeks, you'll quickly learn what it can and can't do in terms of range. You'll learn where the charges are and where they are not, and adapt.....
My experience exactly. Agree 100%.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If the battery is at 80 percent, do you think I can go 85 miles without recharging?
Welcome.

Glad we have a heavy user in the forum and hope you share your experiences. From my experience in central GA, winters max charge is 128 miles and summers 142 miles. If you are a stickler to the SoC 20-80% rule, i.e the magical values that EV owners want to keep their batteries at for longevity, then you theoretically only have 60% or 76 miles in Winter and 85 in Summer to play with.

Bottom line, yes you can get 85 miles at 80%, just make sure you have charging resources in case you have to run an unexpected errand that detours you significantly and be prepared to ignore the SoC rules.

Some ideas. Delay charge to reach higher % just before you leave. That way you dont have sustained SoC, > 80% which is the true issue.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you prefer a 80% SOC at departure, in the initial few trips, keep the speed below 100km/hr (62mph) to get optimum efficiency. Once you gain confident with the range and efficiency, then increase the speed to suit your needs.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Some ideas. Delay charge to reach higher % just before you leave. That way you dont have sustained SoC, > 80% which is the true issue.
This is great advice if you're trying to limit time at a high SoC and is exactly what I do. You can use the Time of Use and BlueLink functions that comes with the car, or utilise a smart charger. FWIW, I'm a little over 75,000km (+/- 47000 miles) in about 2 and half years and don't have any noticeable loss of range from degradation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts