Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Gas Mileage/Range

For 2017, Hyundai claims the Ioniq Hybrid will get 58-mpg's combined and up to 700 miles range, sitting just above it's Prius equivalent. Helping to get those EPA-Certified numbers are efficient components like a Dual Clutch Transmission, Permanent Magnet Electric Motor, Lithium Ion Polymer Battery, and more. But as any owner should know, it's real world numbers that matter at the end of the day and a couple of them have already started reporting those numbers here.

bluecar1 | Ioniq Hybrid (Petrol) Premium
what sort of MPG you getting? as I think many are wondering if in he UK it is living up to anywhere near the claimed 83.1mpg
Tom1965 | Ioniq Hybrid (Petrol) Premium SE
Dislikes
MPG- I'm getting 45 ish which isn't great.. I find it hardly ever just goes on battery, only when doing literally 5 mph, anything more than that the engine kicks in. I'm not hugely stressed because I mainly got a hybrid to reduce my company car tax BIK, but it's definitely NOT as advertised. Maybe I just drive with lead boots but it seems to say I am driving "ecologically"... will be interesting to see what you get.

Tank is quite small, 40 litres? So it says about 530 miles range, I think I am used to my old diesel which did 675, I certainly don't get 535, got about 450 off the last one but am only on my second fill up so will report back

This is sounding like more dislikes than likes, but I am very happy with it overall, would be really interesting to compare notes

Cheers

T
I got 71mpg for the 19mile drive home from dealer
just filled the tank, it said 565 miles range?, not sure if that is a default until you drive it a bit so it can work out the mileage left in tank, when I picked mine up it said 127 miles range, by the time I got home it said 175 mile range, I like that it seemed to be putting fuel in the tank :)

mine does like swapping to and thro EV/ hybrid modes, as soon as you lift off the accelerator it stops the petrol engine

next week I have 700 miles to do for work, so should be interesting to see mpg on long runs, my dealer has requested I keep them updated on this so they can give other customers an idea of realistic figures. my challenge will be to try and complete this on a single tank, I could get 500-550 miles on a tank of my old 2015 1.2 84ps i20 I swapped today

so should be better range on the Ioniq

Interior Feels Upmarket

Hyundai put a lot of work into developing the 3 powertrains and technologies needed to make it as efficient as claimed and the same level of attention has been put on the interior. Copper accents, materials you cant get your hands off of, a sporty D-cut steering wheel and features like power tilt-and-slide sunroof, heated front seats, 7-inch color touchscreen and more are included.

Inside it’s more impressive, and while the grey plastics look a little dull, the materials feel good to the touch and there are some copper-coloured accents around the cabin that give a youthful appeal. It feels much more upmarket inside than the Leaf as a result - although not as plush as a BMW i3, which costs a bit more.
- AutoExpress.co.uk | Ioniq Electric Premium

Inside, the dashboard looks almost identical to the one you find in the Hyundai Tucson. Up front, you get plenty of soft-touch materials on the upper portion of the dash and doors, with harder materials underneath. Everything is nicely textured and the controls work with precision. As for the rear, it’s roomy enough for six-footers and the boot is competitive in size, if shallow.

Should you forget what you’re in, Ioniq Electrics get copper trim that looks nice enough and is a pleasant change from piano black. You also get a responsive 8.0in colour touchscreen infotainment system that proves responsive and easy to use. Standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is another nice touch.
- AutoCar.co.uk | Ioniq Electric Premium​

Decent Performance

Reports on performance so far haven't been as detailed as we wished but being this early in the wave of reviews, what's quoted below makes it easy to see where among the competition the Ioniq Electric sits. The Ioniq Electric is praised for its smooth delivery of power. Feedback on how it does in a range of city and highway situations is what we'll be looking out for.

It feels similar to a Leaf to drive, with the instant response from the electric motor meaning there’s plenty of around-town performance. It’s not as aggressive off the line as some other electric cars, but it gets up to speed with a whoosh of power. It takes 10.2 seconds to go from 0-62mph, but it’s most impressive from 20-40mph.

Of course it does that all without a peep from the motor, save for a hushed whine and an external hum to warn pedestrians that you’re there. It means that at low speeds the Ioniq feels right at home, being very refined and easy to drive in an urban environment.

It flows well through longer corners, and the electric motor means it’s fun to power out of slower bends, too. It’s not a driver’s car, but you can still have fun.

With 118bhp, the Electric may be the least powerful Ioniq, but it is, nevertheless, the fastest. A substantial 218Ib ft of torque from rest and no pauses to change gear result in a 0-62mph time that just squeaks under 10 seconds. At urban speeds, the Ioniq feels even quicker than that.

That instant torque can overwhelm the economy-biased tyres, though. In the wet, the traction control has to cut in hard if you try to accelerate quickly. Turn it off and the Ioniq will spin its front wheels all the way up to 35mph.

Not that performance is really a selling point of the Ioniq, more a handy by-product of the electric powertrain. More important is the smooth power delivery and complete absence of vibration from under the bonnet. Like other electric cars, it proves far more serene than a diesel or even petrol engine.

The motor may be quiet, but it does highlight other noises. Plenty of road roar is transmitted through the floor and there’s noticeable wind noise at speed. It’s not deafening, but it’s worth knowing if you expect an electric car to be virtually silent.

Adequate Space & Storage

Space and storage shouldn't be an issue for most owners. A 60/40 split-folding rear seatback, wireless charging with a pad to rest your smartphone, along with 350-liter boot/trunk space and 1,420 liters with the rear seats down, just scrape the surface of what we have to work with.

There’s enough space in the back for adults, if not quite as much room as in a Nissan Leaf, and the 350-litre boot increases to 1,410 litres with the rear seats folded down. Neither figure is particularly big thanks to bulky batteries, and some of that space is taken up by the charging kit - but it’s still a useable space.

There’s plenty of storage at the base of the centre stack, a good-sized glovebox and a wireless charging slot for your mobile phone. There is no gear selector lever, just buttons to select Park, Neutral, Drive or Reverse.

Inconsistent Brake Pedal

Although the Ioniq gets an overall 4/5 Star rating from reviews, brakes are just one of the areas it start to fall short in. But its in no way going to be a deal breaker. Instead spending some time getting used to how it reacts under a range of braking situations. Hopefully Hyundai has plans to make the changes needed.

The inconsistent brake pedal is a bit irritating in stop-start traffic, but most of the time you can avoid using it completely thanks to regenerative braking when you lift off the throttle. It’s a relatively novel way of driving, but you quickly adjust to it.

It may be happy enough to build speed, but the brakes take some getting used to. Initial response is very sharp, but it feels like you need to push the pedal a long way further to get any meaningful stopping power.

You can alter how much the car decelerates when you lift off by using what look like gearshift paddles behind the steering wheel. The Ioniq starts with fairly weak regenerative braking initially, but this can be ramped up to slow the car faster and increase the amount of energy that goes back into the battery pack.

Although this does improve range and allows you to avoid pressing the brake the majority of the time, the regenerative braking is much more sudden than in a Nissan Leaf, for instance. We soon turned it back down again to make smoother progress.

Steering Needs Improvement

While you didn't buy an Ioniq to rip around a track and drive like a racecar it's important to note exactly where and how it's not like other cars you've driven. Driving around the city you might pick up on its lack of feel and lack of communication of what the front wheels are doing.

The steering lacks feel and the self-centring is inconsistent, but the Ioniq handles tidily enough.

Hyundai suggests that the Ioniq Electric should offer decent driving dynamics. The truth is that while it isn’t bad, it’s not going to set pulses racing. The steering has reasonable weight to it, but it’s vague around the straight-ahead and never communicates what the front wheels are doing.

Drive Within Limits

Still haven't taken delivery of one? Make sure you are able to go on test drives, driving within its limits before deciding to own one.

There’s not a great deal of body roll, but it doesn’t take much to get the nose of the Ionic running wide; blame the low-resistance tyres for that. Pitch the car into a corner harder and you can tell the weight balance of the car is more even than that of a front-engined, front wheel-drive hatch, though.

Even so, this is a car that’s much happier being driven well within its limits. That might not be good for enthusiastic driving, but it’ll certainly help eke out the most range possible from the battery pack. With this in mind, we would have liked more compliance from the suspension at urban speeds. It’s not uncomfortable, but it is on the firm side when dealing with crumbling blacktop. Things do settle down at motorway speeds, though.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
not a bad summary

my 2p / 2 cents worth below,

Gas Mileage,

I understand hybrids are less able to use the electric assistance on highway / motorway due to constant speed so less braking etc to top up the battery so you are purely on the petrol engine, but the slippery 0.24 drag and the efficient atkinson cycle engine should prove interesting, I have 700 miles to do next week most of which is motorway so should be able to report back on this, the biggest increase in mpg should come from round town as it is more efficient so shouldn't drag the overall mpg of a tank down

Interior Quality,

all the switchgear feels positive, the seating is comfortable for round town next week I can comment on long run comfort, the satnav seems to be good, I am still working out all the details of the live services but they seem to be good, I have not found any issues with the interior finish, everything is well fitted and good quality and no squeaks or rattles yet

one thing I like is the sound quality of the audio system, best of any car I have owned and on Bluetooth my boss was not aware I was in the car so seems to be little road noise through the Bluetooth system, my wife said it was the clearest call from a car ever.

Performance

I tend to drive gently, so rarely plant my foot on the loud peddle, but when I have played to try out the performance of the car it is more than adequate for the family driver, the boy racer or journalist who are expecting Ferrari performance will be disappointed, but mum and dad who want the car for round town and take the family on holiday / vacation will be happy, it copes well with hills due to the torque of the electric motor so is a nice relaxed drive

the only thing I have to say is if you drive it as designed steady eco car it is smooth and comfortable, if you push the performance in sport mode then the gear changes become a little jerky, but nothing you wouldn't expect if you were to push a manual gearbox car to extract maximum peformance

Space

the boot is a decent size, the only thing I notice with the boot is the cover over the spare wheel seems a little thin an flimsy as there are gaps around the spare wheel where many manufacturers put polystyrene / Styrofoam inserts to hold everything in place and fill the gaps

interior space is good, my wife and I are reasonable size adults and unlike her city car (skoda citigo) you have plenty of room between you. the rear seat I am not sure how cosy it would be for 3 adults, but for 3 children or 2 adults its will be fine

the level of the dashboard is slightly lower than I would have expected but this give a great view of the road and for once I can see part of the bonnet (though not all the way to the front) also due to this the interior feels spacious and airy, the darker roof lining is ok, I did think it would make it feel smaller but you don't notice it

there are lots of nice little touches like the area to store a tablet computer where the hand brake would be, the sensibly place wireless phone charger (but read the warnings in the manual about not putting bank cards etc on it)

at night there are plenty of lights on the dashboard / console but not to the extent you feel you are inside a Christmas tree and they are bright enough to see but not so bright the dazzle / distract you

Inconsistent brake peddle

I would agree with the slightly inconsistent brake peddle, round town it is fine, but when you brake from 50+ mph you need to gradually apply more pressure, I assume this is as the motor speed decreases regen braking becomes less effective so you need to push that bit more on the peddle to engage the real brakes, as opposed to normal bakes where you tend to decrease the pressure as you slow down so as to not stop harshly

this is not a show stopper but will take a bit to get used to, and may prove interesting as I swap between the Ioniq with the regen braking and a normal car

and when you do get to point of real brakes they seem to be quite sharp so braking smoothly to a stop from speed seems to take a little while to master

Steering

I have had no real thoughts on this seems fine in the driving I have done so far, be we are starting to get icy roads so I will find out more in the next few weeks if I can notice the grip of the surface subtly change due to weather / ice

the steering weight is good, it don't seem to suffer with bump or torque steer, it just goes where you point it

but as I have said I don't tend to push a car to its limits, but being front wheel drive I would expect controlled understeer as you exceed the grip limits of the tyres and systems like ESP kick in

Drive within limits

well what can you say, its not a Ferrari or similar sports car so don't expect that level of road holding and performance, but I would say it still has good road holding and performance for its class

Overall
you won't win many races at a 1/4 mile drag strip in it but as I said earlier the average family or salesman should be more than happy with its performance and comfort unless they are a badge snob

if you took all the Hyundai markings off it and di a blind test I think many would be surprised when they found out it was a hyundai

it has a good level of comfort and equipment for the price an class

reasonable performance and economy from what I have seen so far

with the boot empty and load cover open there can be road noise on concrete road surfaces or coarse tarmac road surfaces

the engine and drive train are reasonably quiet under normal conditions but even when pushed in sport mode I was not unhappy with the noise levels

the only thing I am not really liking is the foot operated parking brake, you have to really lift your foot up to apply and release it so people with limited mobility may find that a show stopper

the one thing I do like is the folding wing mirrors, when you approach the car and it senses the smart key they fold out like an excited pet pricking its ears up wanting to be taken out to play

BC1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts