Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've started going in to the office 2 - 3 days a week. Last week I went in on Tuesday (6/22) and Wednesday (6/23). Work is ~13 miles one way. In the morning the car reported 7 mi/kWh. Coming home, with the AC on, it was more believable 4 - 5 mi/kWh. Is anyone else seeing these kinds of numbers? I see 4 - 6 all the time, but I've never seen 7 before.

p.s. Sorry if this has been reported / discussed before. I searched several times (different keywords) and although I found one or two discussions (from over a year ago) about efficiency, I didn't see anyone reporting up to 7 mi/kWh before.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq plug-in hybrid Premium+
41 Posts
Probably a very smooth morning! As speaking of PHEV, I indeed with right conditions even overcome WCAP range by 5-8%. Maybe take a peak at your driving style. Mine says 87% eco and 13% normal, 0% agressive.

My speculation, maybe you had very little break regeneration that route? As I picture myself morning traffic can be very smooth sometimes if its very early.. all regen from breaking as actually an energy loss - just that you get something back. So if the AI is calculating the kW out and not in could explain less efficency if there's a lot of breaking / paddling.

Also I believe the air conditioner is doing a significant impact especially when there's no backup engine to compensate. It's quite logic that you as an EV owner find a bit diversity in your efficiency. Us mortals partly dinosaur fuelers might not notice every hidden fossil-drop spent here and there.
^^
Cheers for a nice drive.

2019 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV Premium+ in Sweden

·
Registered
Ioniq EV Premium SE 38.3kWh
61 Posts
I tend to get over 6m/kWh on a steady longer run and have seen close to 6.5 on a good day, so I can well believe 7 is achievable. I use heat and A/C as necessary, just by leaving it on Auto and adjusting temp from 21 to 23C as feels comfortable that day. I don't find weather or heater settings makes a great difference to range. Biggest effect is the road surface (rough surfaces bring it right down) and elevation (my 22 mile run to work ends a couple of hundred metres above the start, and I make about 4.5m/kWh going and over 6 on the return trip).

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Wind speed and direction has a huge impact on trip efficiency. It is hard to find historical wind data by hour (if anyone knows, please post a link), but the first thing I do when I notice above or below expected mpg in my HEV is check current wind conditions on Dark Sky. Almost always, the wind vector explains deviation from the expected efficiency after weighing the other factors (like temperature, elevation gain et cetera). If you managed to get the wind vector for your trip that would likely explain it to your satisfaction. Notable that wind typically stays in about one quadrant of the compass for a full day (absent a front moving through) and as such, your lower efficiency on the way home is highly suggestive of wind impacts on your economy.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
302 Posts
My commute is 31+31miles. I do mostly like 5,6miles/kWH (110Wh/km!) in the morning and returning home about 6.3miles/kWh (100Wh/km!). Best cases summer days with resonable temperatures around 60-80F (15-27C)

This is very repetable in summer time on a normal commute 50% 45mph 50% 50mph including ACC.

I have done a cheat run at 8.33miles/kWh (75Wh/km!) but that was with ACC off and a continious 125mi/200km drive with 48% battery left 30mph. No stops no nothing...."just having fun"

I've also done a real run to a destination and back mostly 50mph with ACC on at an average of 6,8miles/kWh or 92Wh/km. total of about 100mi/160km

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Limited
29 Posts
I thought that I explored every menu option of my 2020 Ioniq EV, but I have not seen that screen in the original post. Could someone please tell me how to get there? I would like that data.
I have not updated the software since I got the car in Dec 2020, nor paired it to my smartphone or anything like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought that I explored every menu option of my 2020 Ioniq EV, but I have not seen that screen in the original post. Could someone please tell me how to get there? I would like that data.
I have not updated the software since I got the car in Dec 2020, nor paired it to my smartphone or anything like that.
Touch EV (on heater control panel)
Touch ECO Driving (lower centre of screen)
Touch Fuel Economy History

Shows starts for last journeys made (last 30 I believe)

Journey with best economy is shown with a star and highlighted.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Limited
29 Posts
Thank you very much Martin. I never used the EV button before. Last 30 days values range from 6.4 mi/kWh to 4.8.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you very much Martin. I never used the EV button before. Last 30 days values range from 6.4 mi/kWh to 4.8.
You're welcome. Range of values very similar to mine. There are quite a few useful pages behind the EV button, showing instantaneous energy usage, ranges etc. Just keep touching areas of the screen...

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2020
2 Posts
We've started going in to the office 2 - 3 days a week. Last week I went in on Tuesday (6/22) and Wednesday (6/23). Work is ~13 miles one way. In the morning the car reported 7 mi/kWh. Coming home, with the AC on, it was more believable 4 - 5 mi/kWh. Is anyone else seeing these kinds of numbers? I see 4 - 6 all the time, but I've never seen 7 before.

View attachment 34438

p.s. Sorry if this has been reported / discussed before. I searched several times (different keywords) and although I found one or two discussions (from over a year ago) about efficiency, I didn't see anyone reporting up to 7 mi/kWh before.
I’ve been getting between 5 and 6 miles/kW on local trips. Around 5/kW on motorways. I’ve done 1500 miles in the 3 months I have had the car and the overall economy is 5.3 miles/kW, which I think I pretty good. The last time I charged to full the range said 227 miles.
I mostly drive in eco mode and tend to play with the regen paddles all the time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just got 7.0 m/kWh on commute home mostly hilly motorway at 65mph. Think the "heatwave" is helping, think that's a personal best so far.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Perfectly Normal. The benefits of a very efficient EV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts