Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid since the 4th November now and have done 6500 miles so thought I might do a quick review. In short I am very pleased and don't regret getting it at all. Key thoughts are:

Positives:

Comfort/ride - very good and I like the 15" wheels. Our roads have terrible potholes so it really does help.

Sport mode is quite good for overtaking but very rarely use it, but it does kick in quickly and is noticeably faster.

Love the reversing camera, first one I have ever had and would not be without one now. Just have to remember to wipe it with finger before getting in each time as it gets very dirty and you can't see anything.

I have adjusted the forward warning to be "early" and I do like the beep it gives you when you are coming up to something. I really think it will save me one day. I don't know if it at any point puts the brakes on automatically, I have certainly never had that happen. I can't see how it could stop you in time.

Like the adaptive cruise control - have adjusted this to do a slow catch up as it was accelerating like crazy after slowing down. Would recommend that.

LOVE the blind spot warning - if you indicate and pull out and there is a car in your blind spot the mirror lights up and it beeps. This is a terrific idea and potential life saver.

Could do better:

I HATE the manual hand (foot) brake, my 09 reg Passat had an electric handbrake and a clever auto hold button that meant you could take your foot off the brake when at rest. It seems very odd to me in a car with so much technology they still have 75 year old handbrake technology. The pedal is in an annoying place, I forget to put it on/off. In short, horrible.

MPG isn't great, it says 535 miles when I fill up but I never get more than 450 miles/ 45 MPG or so and I am really honestly not an aggressive driver. Have done long motorway runs, round town, 6500 miles in all and always 45mpg. It doesn't very often go into Electric mode (EV), I was expecting it to do that more, even with a fullish battery (oddly the battery never shows more than 75% charged) when you are cruising at steady speed I'd expect the EV to kick in and just keep you going but it doesn't really. Or when going round town at 30. You have to literally feather the throttle when pulling away to stay in EV mode (and have a massive queue of traffic behind you!). It just wants to kick in the engine all the time. I had visions of cruising silently around town until the battery was low and then it would kick in the engine but doesn't seem like that at all to me, battery is just always 40-70% charged and the car uses the engine 95% of the time. Don't really see the point to be honest. Other than the emissions are low so my tax is low which is what I really care about. This is my first hybrid ever so I have no point of comparison.

Sat Nav isn't great..they kind of imply it's a TomTom but it's definitely not, although it uses TomTom traffic via your phone. It sometimes wants to take me down some very weird random small side roads and often if you ignore the recommended route you see the time to destination goes down which is odd. So, I'm not impressed, would rather have my old TomTom but can't be bothered with all the wires any more so will live with it. Other specific niggles - to get the TomTom traffic on my iPhone6 I have to plug it in but then every single time I have to turn my personal hotspot off and on again so that it reconnects to my phone and picks up the traffic. I don't know if this is an Apple issue or Hyundai but it's very, very annoying. Also when you come to rest, the Map swings back round to orient north. This is very annoying and I can't turn it off. I want it to keep pointing the way I was going. I get that it doesn't know where you are travelling if you are static but a good guess would be the way you were going a second ago! It whirls around constantly and makes it hard to see where to go at the imminent junction. Also map updates - I emailed the map help people and they told me you have to get that updated by your dealer when you have a service. That's annoying, so just once a year?

Not convinced on the self dipping rear view mirror, hard to tell if it's even doing anything. I'd rather have a manual one.

I'd love somewhere to put change, sounds stupid but I put it in the central armrest and am eternally fishing about in there. Bring back the ashtray for coins.

So in summary, drives well, great in-car tech, love the rear camera, the adaptive cruise control, early collision warning, DAB radio, heated & cooled seats etc etc, but from being a hybrid point of view that's almost an irrelevancy, it returns normal petrol car MPG and hardly every uses the battery so I don't really think of it as a hybrid at all.

I may be missing some tricks here so if anybody has any advice (or questions) then very happy to hear them.

Hope this helps
Tom

·
Registered
278 Posts
Had my Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid since the 4th November now and have done 6500 miles so thought I might do a quick review. In short I am very pleased and don't regret getting it at all. Key thoughts are:

Positives:

Comfort/ride - very good and I like the 15" wheels. Our roads have terrible potholes so it really does help.

Sport mode is quite good for overtaking but very rarely use it, but it does kick in quickly and is noticeably faster.

Love the reversing camera, first one I have ever had and would not be without one now. Just have to remember to wipe it with finger before getting in each time as it gets very dirty and you can't see anything.

I have adjusted the forward warning to be "early" and I do like the beep it gives you when you are coming up to something. I really think it will save me one day. I don't know if it at any point puts the brakes on automatically, I have certainly never had that happen. I can't see how it could stop you in time.

Like the adaptive cruise control - have adjusted this to do a slow catch up as it was accelerating like crazy after slowing down. Would recommend that.

LOVE the blind spot warning - if you indicate and pull out and there is a car in your blind spot the mirror lights up and it beeps. This is a terrific idea and potential life saver.

Could do better:

I HATE the manual hand (foot) brake, my 09 reg Passat had an electric handbrake and a clever auto hold button that meant you could take your foot off the brake when at rest. It seems very odd to me in a car with so much technology they still have 75 year old handbrake technology. The pedal is in an annoying place, I forget to put it on/off. In short, horrible.

MPG isn't great, it says 535 miles when I fill up but I never get more than 450 miles/ 45 MPG or so and I am really honestly not an aggressive driver. Have done long motorway runs, round town, 6500 miles in all and always 45mpg. It doesn't very often go into Electric mode (EV), I was expecting it to do that more, even with a fullish battery (oddly the battery never shows more than 75% charged) when you are cruising at steady speed I'd expect the EV to kick in and just keep you going but it doesn't really. Or when going round town at 30. You have to literally feather the throttle when pulling away to stay in EV mode (and have a massive queue of traffic behind you!). It just wants to kick in the engine all the time. I had visions of cruising silently around town until the battery was low and then it would kick in the engine but doesn't seem like that at all to me, battery is just always 40-70% charged and the car uses the engine 95% of the time. Don't really see the point to be honest. Other than the emissions are low so my tax is low which is what I really care about. This is my first hybrid ever so I have no point of comparison.

Sat Nav isn't great..they kind of imply it's a TomTom but it's definitely not, although it uses TomTom traffic via your phone. It sometimes wants to take me down some very weird random small side roads and often if you ignore the recommended route you see the time to destination goes down which is odd. So, I'm not impressed, would rather have my old TomTom but can't be bothered with all the wires any more so will live with it. Other specific niggles - to get the TomTom traffic on my iPhone6 I have to plug it in but then every single time I have to turn my personal hotspot off and on again so that it reconnects to my phone and picks up the traffic. I don't know if this is an Apple issue or Hyundai but it's very, very annoying. Also when you come to rest, the Map swings back round to orient north. This is very annoying and I can't turn it off. I want it to keep pointing the way I was going. I get that it doesn't know where you are travelling if you are static but a good guess would be the way you were going a second ago! It whirls around constantly and makes it hard to see where to go at the imminent junction. Also map updates - I emailed the map help people and they told me you have to get that updated by your dealer when you have a service. That's annoying, so just once a year?

Not convinced on the self dipping rear view mirror, hard to tell if it's even doing anything. I'd rather have a manual one.

I'd love somewhere to put change, sounds stupid but I put it in the central armrest and am eternally fishing about in there. Bring back the ashtray for coins.

So in summary, drives well, great in-car tech, love the rear camera, the adaptive cruise control, early collision warning, DAB radio, heated & cooled seats etc etc, but from being a hybrid point of view that's almost an irrelevancy, it returns normal petrol car MPG and hardly every uses the battery so I don't really think of it as a hybrid at all.

I may be missing some tricks here so if anybody has any advice (or questions) then very happy to hear them.

Hope this helps
Tom
Your mpg sounds horribly low compared to others on here. Are you talking about the mpg figure in the instrument cluster or mpg in hybrid info on the infotainment screen?

Reactions: sundayt

·
Registered
251 Posts
Really, to get an accurate MPG number for ANY vehicle, hybrids included, you have to do the math and figure it out for yourself.

Every car I've ever owned or driven with an MPG display got it wrong, typically (such as in my '04 Prius) by 1 or 2 MPG but recently, in a Ford Focus rental, by about 4 MPG. And, of course, the error on the in-car display is ALWAYS in favor of higher MPG.

So don't believe what either the instrument cluster OR infotainment screen in your Ioniq tells you about MPG.

Crunch the numbers yourself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do.. that's using the odometer, I get about 450 miles per full tank which is about 10 gallons. I never look at the MPG calculator, I agree, that's flaky. The estimated mileage only ever says 535 miles when I fill it up anyway, then in reality it is on empty at about 450-460 miles on the trip computer... is it just me? Even 535 miles/10 gallons isn't stunning really, about as good as my old diesel....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Location? Your mpg sounds like around-town FE in a harsh winter area. The ICE will always run when it's cold and the heater is on to warm the engine which really eats into your gas mileage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damp and mildly cold UK! Heater is often on to be fair, but hardly consistently sub zero, and a decent mix of town trips, 30-50 mile trips and longer 100-200 mile motorway journeys, as I say I don't drive madly and got 50-60mpg from my old diesel for years just fine...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Damp and mildly cold UK! Heater is often on to be fair, but hardly consistently sub zero, and a decent mix of town trips, 30-50 mile trips and longer 100-200 mile motorway journeys, as I say I don't drive madly and got 50-60mpg from my old diesel for years just fine...
Thanks for sharing - very interesting! You are one of the first to notice relatively poor MPG. Please keep us posted. Have you thought of starting a log up on Fuelly.com?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Should get Bluecar1 in on this discussion. They are pretty much the spearhead of the Ioniq movement and have tonnes of miles under the bonnet.

My test drive got me 68.4 mpg that was an hour and a half drive mixed, city, rural and motorway work. Only a few occasions of sport mode, air con on all the time (driver side only), satnav and media blaring.

45mpg sounds worryingly low.

Reactions: sundayt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm interesting, so everyone else (except me clearly!) is getting 700 ish miles out of a full (9.9 UK/11.9 US gallon) tank? Running the 15" wheels.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I saw in the "I didn't know the Ioniq did this" thread that the mirror will not dip if the side mirror adjustment switch is set to the middle, rather than L or R.

I hear you about the ashtray for coins! Seems like there's lots of big cavities for storage, but no little ones for coins.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tom1965, that's really strange, that you seem to be only getting 45mpg constantly.
Are you sure that you're not confusing the readout, like I did initially?

http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/36377-post42.html

Can you take a similar screenshot the next time you go on a trip?

I was initially disappointed with my first couple of tanks (low 50s), but I am currently on tank 3 and I am getting to 60+ mpg even though my journeys/trips haven't changed.
The recent weather in the SW has helped, and I coast a bit more...

Regarding the satnav, you do need a hotspot for traffic to be relayed to the screen, which is why I use a wingle (wifi dongle), and not my iPhone else I would be forgetting to switch it on/off.
Dare I ask, but have you tried Apple Maps/are you using CarPlay?

When you say you 'have to literally feather the throttle when pulling away to stay in EV mode', how light do you mean? I've been able to pull away with 1,2,3,4 green eco bars in EV mode without creating a traffic jam.

Another reason I didn't want to replace my Gen2 Prius with a Gen4 Prius was to worry about mpg, and let the car drive itself, otherwise, I would be all over the mpg figures, etc.
I've only done over a 1000 miles myself, but I am extremely happy with the way the car has performed, and I do see the mpg only improving (and maybe catching up with bluecar1!).
I agree with you regarding all the tech.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw in the "I didn't know the Ioniq did this" thread that the mirror will not dip if the side mirror adjustment switch is set to the middle, rather than L or R.

I hear you about the ashtray for coins! Seems like there's lots of big cavities for storage, but no little ones for coins.
Oh thank you for that!! I hadn't see that..That IS weird. Maybe it's not dipping at all then... Will try it out!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Oh thank you for that!! I hadn't see that..That IS weird. Maybe it's not dipping at all then... Will try it out!
Ironiq is talking about the wing mirror I believe. The rear view mirror is not connected with the wing mirror movement. Rear view mirror is dipped electronically chromatic something or other lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
My sister gets low 50s (US)mpg fairly consistently in her hybrid Sonata on the road or in town and that car is much larger, not nearly as aero, and much heavier than the Ioniq. She's no hypermiler but drives conservatively. Her mileage drops quite a bit in the winter though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I have my ioniq just a week, but I completely agree that the handbrake is horrible.

I am just doing the performance test, when I get it I will share.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Hi,

I have my ioniq just a week, but I completely agree that the handbrake is horrible.

I am just doing the performance test, when I get it I will share.
The parking brake is a bit weird but I got used to it surprisingly quickly ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Hi tom1965

yep, the satnav can be a bit "quirky" about its routes at times, main thing I do look at the traffic on the route and the one its proposing, then make your own mind up, I only really follow it "cross country" routes when the main roads are not a good option

the only way to truly monitor your MPG is a site like fuelly.com , but you have to fill your tank on each fill up to track you mpg, as a point o interest when I got rght down to 5 miles range (and the car getting very insistent it wanted feeding fuel) I only got 38ltr's in even though it is a 45ltr tank, so your 450 miles is at most on 8 1/5 gallon max which comes to nearer 53mpg

one thing to note is I find the onboard mpg very accurate, within 1 - 1.5mpg so very accurate compared to the wifes car which is 5-7mpg higher than real mpg

trick for good mpg is ease off and roll up to junctions, accelerate lightly but you seem to know that for mpg you got out your diesels

the self dipping mirror is good, seems odd at first, but there is a button on the front between the green led and the sensor, push that and it turns off the self dip, and see the difference, then turn it back on, its surprisingly effective

also the self dipping mirror has nothing to do with the position of the wing mirror buttons, that was a comment someone posting about the wing mirrors pointing down when you put he car in reverse, but nobody had been able to get it to work

I tend to use the front cup holder for parking change

BC1

·
Registered
39 Posts
Could it be that some folks are not used to driving a Hybrid?

Case in point...we have a 2010 Prius that I can generally easily obtain 55 or so USA MPG. I do drive conservatively but I do not 'hypermile'. When my daughter drives it she only gets about 45 or so USA MPG. She does not drive nearly as conservatively as I do.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts