Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, finally I have received a reply from a Hyundai engineer with the help of a partner from an ioniq group. I copy and translate:
"It is not new and affects all 39kWh batteries.
The noise is produced when the differential pressure compensation valves between the inside of the battery and the outside are opened.
When you go up, the noise of the compensation is not noticeable, when you go down, as the external pressure is greater than the interior pressure, the metal cover of the upper part is deformed as if creating a vacuum, and when the valves pop to compensate, it is the noise you hear. It is normal and it is not a problem. In the 64kWh you do not hear it, since being larger, the lid has more ribs and it deforms less.
It is the same effect that you see in a bottle when you go up to the top and down."

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Impression
8 Posts
Here i don't agree with answer. I hear bang also when i go UP, it is not that loud as when you go down, but it is still noticeable.

Did they say anything about that problem when this popping will be happenning for next few years, how will it affect on battery?

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric 38KWH
2 Posts
Hi All, I have done many trips to Toowoomba and Maleny in Qld quite often in the 1 year I have owned my Ioniq, and have never heard a single noise from my 38KWh Ioniq electric. even on 5 degree days or 35 degree days. I use the regen downhill from Toowomba which gives you back 8km of range....apparently.
I also recharge the car at Charlton fast charger as I am 20km short of the return trip home if I dont.

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Impression
8 Posts
Hi All, I have done many trips to Toowoomba and Maleny in Qld quite often in the 1 year I have owned my Ioniq, and have never heard a single noise from my 38KWh Ioniq electric. even on 5 degree days or 35 degree days. I use the regen downhill from Toowomba which gives you back 8km of range....apparently.
I also recharge the car at Charlton fast charger as I am 20km short of the return trip home if I dont.
I was going skiing this weekend and bang was extremely loud when i was driving downhill from 1000m attitude to 200m attitude... It was so loud that i can feel it under my seat, wife seat back with kids and say that it was feeling like i drove over the rock, that rear seats feel like jumping up. So it is not normal i think... i will demand to repair this :/

And obviously fast changing altitude has bigger impact on bang as temperature.

·
Registered
2020 model 38kw Ioniq electric
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
The 38.3kWh battery has 88 cell pairs in series. If one (or more) cells fail you would certainly be aware of it via an incredibly reduced range.
Thanks Graham, that's good info to know.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts