Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, possible future owner here, this thread was like a mystery movies with "to be continued" ending. I'm looking forward to see if someone will figure this out more so since I'll be very into regen.

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
Hopefully, the sequel will be posted soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's difficult to say for sure what the cause of the noise is, but as things stand now, I'm fairly comfortable with the noise not being related (or detrimental at least) to the battery. I've only experienced this noise 2 times, both times were when I was descending straight down a mtn for 30-40 min. When the noise occurred, I didn't see any sort of lights/notices flashing on the dashboard, and I have not detected any changes after the incident at all. As I you read from my previous hypothesis, I thought that the noise is not related to the battery because both times when I drove down the mtn, I drove down with very different regen behaviors, yet, to my recollection, the noise occurred at similar spots down the mtn, so I thought the issue had more to do with atmospheric pressure than it had to do with regen or heat.

The best way to diagnose this would be to get a dealership mechanic to come on a ride with me down the mtn to experience the noise himself, but I haven't explored if this would be possible. I'll be sure to post updates to this thread if I do the mtn again or contact Hyundai about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I read the whole 63 posts of sarah's problem. I experienced the same issue two days ago at the same conditions. Driving downhill from 1517m to about 400m, approx. 40mins, regen on max. third level, two bangs occured! I also felt the bang on all the chasis of a car and really thought that battery exploded! The sound was like imploding can.
I am really curious about that mystery. 🙂
About OBD2: I was watching Bjorn's YouTube how he tested fast charging Ioniq 2020 at -2 degrees C and showing the temperature of battery through an OBD and bluetooth using smartphone. The problem was that he did not get 45kW until HV batt achieved 26deg C. Should ask him what OBD he used.

Ioniq 100kw, 38,3kWh, 2020, 1570km odometer, avg. consumption 14.1kWh/100km

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also experienced this bang for the 3rd time driving down the same road that I've always experienced it. I knew it was coming, so when I started to hear and feel it, I was paying special attention. I am almost positive it has to do with the metal battery cover underneath the floor of the vehicle. I could almost feel the metal bending up slowly and then popping/tinging like a sheet of metal.

So my conclusion is that the bang has nothing to do with regen, it only has to do with changes in pressure. It's still undesirable of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2. Since the bang occurred at the same location as before, this makes me think that it is purely an elevation caused issue that happens once I descend a certain amount of elevation down the mtn.
How about starting say a mile further down the hill and see where the noise happens on this occasion? Theoretically it should happen somewhere close to a mile lower, give or take a little ... or more accurately after a similar amount of elevation drop

Having said that How much elevation are you losing before the noise? That could give you some idea of the pressure differential, which given the time involved could yield a pressure change rate. Now if there's some sealed compartment somewhere, but to prevent tin-canning, it has an orifice to allow for ambient pressure change, but in this case, the rate of change on this trip is too high for the orifice which might cause the compartment walls to flex

Maybe you can contact the manufacturer to see if this was noticed during development. It probably was and they probably put in a fix, but you're probably operating outside of the range of that fix. Whether or not they'd tell you is a different matter, but you can't be the only one and you might as well get the documentation started. Maybe it can result in a Service Bulletin if not an actual recall

·
Registered
2020 IONIQ Electric Ultimate Iron Grey
7 Posts
So my conclusion is that the bang has nothing to do with regen, it only has to do with changes in pressure. It's still undesirable of course.
I'm going to add a +1 to this theory.

I made another mountain trip recently and was monitoring the regen power while descending, and I heard two thumps spaced a bit apart while regen was only around -15kw. When it happened, my daughter said her ears just popped, so it made me think of a pressure change in some component under the car. Not sure exactly which component, but this has now happened to me on several occasions and the car is as perfect as day 1. I'm not due for a service for another 4-5 months for any sort of inspection, but I could email my dealer and see if anyone else has mentioned it...

;D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, today I too experienced two bangs. They felt like rear wheel ran over an obstacle and sound was as hard object hit the floor of the car - I am 100% sure there were no obstacles on the road. The first bang occured at long descend (approx. 20 minutes) and regenerating, speed was around 50 km/h.Then I drove for around 50 kilometers mostly on a highway and had a 10 minute break at rest station. When I was returning to the higway a second bang occured, feeling and sounding exactly like the first one, also no obstacles on road. Speed was again around 50-60 km/h. What is different that there was no descending at all this time. On both ocations there was no error or alarm on dashboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I have a Hyundai ioniq 2020 that I bought 3 months ago and I have the same issue, I found this posts looking for an answer.
Every day, almost in the same spot of the highway (may vary 50—100 meters) I hear a noise in the rear of the car, it is like a big can that bends. There is not relation with obstacles and no alarms or any other problem. Always happen descending, I start my trip almost 700 metres above the level of the sea and I hear the noise when I crossing the 100 meters level (is in a highway so the speed is around 80-120km/h). If I start to descent further down I don't hear the noise so I think that there is a relation with a fast pressure change that affects a component of the car.

·
Registered
2020 model 38kw Ioniq electric
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hi Guille. I think that you are right and that it is just pressure chaining rapidly. I presume that the batteries are put in a metal box for safety sakes which might be sealed so if the batteries catch fire, the fire will run out of oxygen. Anyway that is all speculation. If however you do that trip every day, the battery degradation will soon be very apparent. Please keep us all updated on that one.
Many Thanks.

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Impression
8 Posts
Hello guys. I'm sad that all of us are having same problem. I also hear this bangs every day... becouse my daily route is where i go uphill to 700m altitude and then down to 200m and this banging is happening every day, so it starts to make me nervous and i drive it to Hyundai dealer and leave it on servis. They find NOTHING is wrong, and then i get technical answer that is normal, and it's happening due to temperature difference in battery housing and external temperature and also becouse of the different pressure due to altitude difference.

But that i don't find satisfying answer, i didn't buy a car worth 42000€ and then they say that something like that is normal...then it should be told while buying, and buyer make decision if he will deal with that or not.
Just curios if someone of you just get this solved, so hyundai repair it somehow?

It's not my fault if they make battery housing flat and so thin that it pops out due to temperature or pressure. If housing would be made with some reinforcement or stepped sheet metal i think that would not be happening.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hello guys. I'm sad that all of us are having same problem. I also hear this bangs every day... becouse my daily route is where i go uphill to 700m altitude and then down to 200m and this banging is happening every day, so it starts to make me nervous and i drive it to Hyundai dealer and leave it on servis. They find NOTHING is wrong, and then i get technical answer that is normal, and it's happening due to temperature difference in battery housing and external temperature and also becouse of the different pressure due to altitude difference.

But that i don't find satisfying answer, i didn't buy a car worth 42000€ and then they say that something like that is normal...then it should be told while buying, and buyer make decision if he will deal with that or not.
Just curios if someone of you just get this solved, so hyundai repair it somehow?

It's not my fault if they make battery housing flat and so thin that it pops out due to temperature or pressure. If housing would be made with some reinforcement or stepped sheet metal i think that would not be happening.
Hi Andre
I am now 100% sure I know what the problem is and it's nothing to be concerned about.

For safety reasons the batteries have to be contained within an semi airtight metal box, the noise is the metal box conking in and out as the air pressure changes. So besides giving everyone in the car a **** of a fright, no harm is being done. To reinforce or make the box thicker adds mass and cost to the car. Anyway Hyundai has radically changed the design for the next generation so that they will be a properly designed electric car rather than an ICE converted to an EV. I do however believe that Tesla's do the same thing.

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Impression
8 Posts
Hyundai said that is nothing that need to be concerned about, BUT it make me nervous, nobody tells that will happen and it's really annoying to listen this daily... I would like that this bang disapper.

Does any of you hear this bang while DC charging? Becouse when i have battery around 30% and i plug in DC charger it also bang after cca.15min - obviously while battery temperature is getting warmer?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
No!!! I have never heard a bang while it is charging. I live in Australia where it doesn't often go below 0*c I have had it cut out while DC charging when it was in the sun and the temperature was over 30*c but that's it. Sorry I can't make out your flag so not sure where you are from. Do you hear the battery cooling pump come in when it is charging at over 38 kW/h ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
On a second not Andre, don't feel alone about the service dealers not being trained ( probably at all ) My local dealer, Pennant Hills Hyundai doesn't even know how to do software updates let alone fix or find faults. Hyundai really needs to step up regarding training there staff.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
882 Posts
Hi Andrej, I've done lots of fast charges and never heard a bang, even with 67 kW going in and the battery heating quite quickly. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else having heard it then either.

I've also done several large elevation gain/drop trips (the BC Coquihalla - +/- 1,100 m over 40 km) and never heard it either. But perhaps my rate of elevation change is slower than yours. However, as others have said, it isn't something to worry about. Though I'm sure it's rather annoying.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
10 Posts
Hi,
I experienced the bang a month ago, going down from 2000 metres to sea level. It happend at around 1400m and then again at 700m. This thread has been very helpfull, and the car seems to be perfect. But my concern is about possible damage in the sealing of the battery pack in the long term. In my daily commute I never go above 600 metres, so not a big problem, probably.

Could it be an especific issue of the 38.8Kwh pack, or is it happenig also to the 28Kwh cars?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Andrej, I've done lots of fast charges and never heard a bang, even with 67 kW going in and the battery heating quite quickly. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else having heard it then either.

I've also done several large elevation gain/drop trips (the BC Coquihalla - +/- 1,100 m over 40 km) and never heard it either. But perhaps my rate of elevation change is slower than yours. However, as others have said, it isn't something to worry about. Though I'm sure it's rather annoying.
I think this problem concerns the 38kWh version.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I experienced the bang a month ago, going down from 2000 metres to sea level. It happend at around 1400m and then again at 700m. This thread has been very helpfull, and the car seems to be perfect. But my concern is about possible damage in the sealing of the battery pack in the long term. In my daily commute I never go above 600 metres, so not a big problem, probably.

Could it be an especific issue of the 38.8Kwh pack, or is it happenig also to the 28Kwh cars?
Hi, If you live in Tenerife I think you will hear this noise many times ;)

In my experience the “bang“ is not always while I am driving. Sometimes happen after a few minutes I have parked, always after a long descending. So probably many ioniq 38kwh customers have this issue but don’t know because the noise happen after they get out of the car.

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Impression
8 Posts
No!!! I have never heard a bang while it is charging. I live in Australia where it doesn't often go below 0*c I have had it cut out while DC charging when it was in the sun and the temperature was over 30*c but that's it. Sorry I can't make out your flag so not sure where you are from. Do you hear the battery cooling pump come in when it is charging at over 38 kW/h ?
I am from Slovenia, and now it is winter... This bang on DC charger happens when battery is cold, and outside temperature about 0-3°C, before when it was warmer, i never heard it while fast charging. These days when it is cold bang happen every commute drive every day, also every fast charge.. It is really disturbing to me.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts