Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
All caliper bolts check good. Braking strate and true. ( not such a fan of the little aluminum sections of the brake hydraulics, they look a bit vunerable to me. )

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
39 Posts
Throwing this one out there.

Could it have been a bit of corrugation in the road that at the precise speed going down the hill meant that the reaction of the suspension was in tune with the wheel getting slightly airborne of the first but was extending as it hit a second one, maybe at the wrong angle creating the noise.

I know the feel of this having driven on heavily corrugated dirt roads in NW WA. If you hit the right speeds you kind of float over them but a wrong speed sounds like the suspension is working against you

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you watch Tesla Bjørn's videos you'll hear that his Model 3 clunks at regular intervals during rapid charging due to thermal expansion of the battery pack. I wonder if your Ioniq didn't have something similar happen to it as you descended that hill under regen?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Almost definitely not 3 failed cells. If that happened the car would know and tell you big time, that and you range would plummet.
I lost 20km not sure how many batteries there are in these cars therefore how much of a % 3 cells / 4 cells now would be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If you watch Tesla Bjørn's videos you'll hear that his Model 3 clunks at regular intervals during rapid charging due to thermal expansion of the battery pack. I wonder if your Ioniq didn't have something similar happen to it as you descended that hill under regen?
This sounds very probable.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I took my car to the local Hyundai dealer and asked them to take a photo of he high battery voltage cells; they tested the 12v battery for me!!! Seriously !!!
Wonder if you ask them to check that the steering wheel isn't crooked they will send you a picture of the drivers side front wheel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was just barely descending down a long mountain road where I essentially was regenerating the entire 30 min and I experienced just what you described! Both me and my wife thought we had hit something in the road because it was an audible pop + vibration. I instantly thought of this thread after it happened. Something to do with regen for a long period of time, but I'm not sure it's a good thing to be happening in a new car!

My first thought is about something in the regen system getting hot and causing some sort of vapor to form and increasing pressure something before rapidly being released somehow. It seems unlikely since when I DC Fast Charge the car, which certainly charges the batteries faster than regen'ing down a hill, I've never heard this sound, however, maybe a component that is part of the regen powertrain and not the charing system is liable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was just barely descending down a long mountain road where I essentially was regenerating the entire 30 min and I experienced just what you described! Both me and my wife thought we had hit something in the road because it was an audible pop + vibration. I instantly thought of this thread after it happened. Something to do with regen for a long period of time, but I'm not sure it's a good thing to be happening in a new car!

My first thought is about something in the regen system getting hot and causing some sort of vapor to form and increasing pressure something before rapidly being released somehow. It seems unlikely since when I DC Fast Charge the car, which certainly charges the batteries faster than regen'ing down a hill, I've never heard this sound, however, maybe a component that is part of the regen powertrain and not the charing system is liable.
Sorry to hear that you also had this. I must confess however that I am pleased that I am now not alone.
I have tried verious OBD2's and combed the net to see if I can get the dash into service or dealer mode but have not been successful. Unfortunatly without being able to check the HV battery we are totally guessing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Finding info on the new Ioniq is very difficult, let alone any sort of diagnosing work, I could barely find good reviews on the car! What are you wanting to check through the OBD-II? Voltage or mAh? My question is even if you are able to connect to the car, how will you learn anything? Seems like it'd be necessary to have a before snapshot of the voltage or capacity, and then you could have a reference point to compare to?

I'm an engineer as well, so speak freely :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm guessing it could be that the elevation is dropping and so is the ambient air pressure. This could affect the cooling system or such and release pressure when certain treshold it reached. I would get the same app that Tesla Björn used while driving the 1000km test and compare the voltages to Björns findings. I wouldn't be worried, the car would surely give a fault code if there in deed was a fault in the HV battery.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good point about the elevation changing fast, except you mixed up the relation between elevation and pressure: as elevation drops, ambient pressure increases.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts