Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing a long decent with the regenerative braking on high I had 3 bangs come form the rear of the vehicle. Could 3 batteries have exploded on me??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While doing a long decent with the regenerative braking on high I had 3 bangs come form the rear of the vehicle. Could 3 batteries have exploded on me??
I wasnt sure if it would throw up a fault message if just a couple of cells went, I have no idea how many cells these things have. If they are LiPo batteries then the individual cells will probebly be in foil packs. In that case I could have been hearing the metal box they are all in cased in popping out as the cells puffed up like a pillow. ( anyone that does RC model aircraft flying will know exactly what I mean ). On the second question, I had the regen on max with no brake applyed, this is a full EV so no chance of a backfire. I didn't have the brake on. By the time the second and 3rd one happened I was very sure I didn't drive over anything. ( and no bullet holes :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Almost definitely not 3 failed cells. If that happened the car would know and tell you big time, that and you range would plummet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will definatly try a range test over the next couple of days. I have been away so havn't had a chance to check. Does anyone know how many batteries these things have and are they accessible. I presume this will be difficult as I believe they are liquid cooled.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Easiest way to check the battery would be to get a Bluetooth OBD II scanner and connect it to EVNotify, Torque Pro or something like that. If you use Torque Pro, remember to find and install the correct PIDs. There is a great tutorial on the "A Better Route Planner" website that will explain that and provide links to the PIDs. With the scanner and software, you'll be able to see the temp and voltage of each cell pack.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is becomming a bit challenging all the info is a bit outdated and does not work with the 2020 version software. even connecting to the car has become a problem as there is already a OBD XX already in the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weirdly, The OBD2 that I use on my Peugiot doen't seem to work on my Ioniq. Do they speak a different protocol? It is a cheap OBD2 so I went and purchased a more expensive one form a shop only to find that it didn't work properly with the latest Apple or Android. :-( I had to take it back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is just a thought. I was listening to one of the latest Fully Charged podcasts recently on a motorway and kept getting a reasonably loud thudding noise from the back. I believe it was the subwoofer in the boot and the mic being knocked during Roberts interview. Do you remember if you were listening too and if so can you replay it to see if you can recreate it.
I think it was this I was listening to

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is just a thought. I was listening to one of the latest Fully Charged podcasts recently on a motorway and kept getting a reasonably loud thudding noise from the back. I believe it was the subwoofer in the boot and the mic being knocked during Roberts interview. Do you remember if you were listening too and if so can you replay it to see if you can recreate it.
I think it was this I was listening to
To be honest I can't remember if the radio was on. I will however have to look into fully charged.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It did it again!!!! Going down the same mountain pass this time I made sure the radio was off and there was no bottles in the car. It did it in about the same spot, this time is was a very significant band, I actually felt it as well. My new OBD2 should arrive in the next couple of days and hopefully this one will work.
Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that would be extremely unlikely

and any issue with the battery pack should result in a big error message on the console

as to what the bangs were pass, was the car on regen or engine braking?
1. I doubt that Hyundai would advertise across the screen that you have to come in for them to replace about one third of the price of the car for you. More likely the owner is going to have to prove to Hyundai with absolute certainty that some cells have failed. Then of course there is the risk of them turning around and saying that to get the evidence you tampered with the car.
2. I was slowing down only using regen.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It did it again!!!! Going down the same mountain pass this time I made sure the radio was off and there was no bottles in the car. It did it in about the same spot, this time is was a very significant band, I actually felt it as well. My new OBD2 should arrive in the next couple of days and hopefully this one will work.
Will keep you all posted.

which city are you in? You are not coming down the hill from Toowoomba are you?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts