1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
But do you ever use your ICE for cabin heat? :unsure:

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
More simply, do you ever heat your cabin? The internal combustion engine is the only way to get heat other than a heated seat or steering wheel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A
More simply, do you ever heat your cabin? The internal combustion engine is the only way to get heat other than a heated seat or steering wheel.
Ah, I see what you mean.

Rarely do I use the heated seats or steering wheel (can’t remember using them at all in fact).

·
Registered
516 Posts
How do you mean?
Well, I believe that both London and my own home in Vancouver share similar climate conditions, yet there is a substantial difference in our Fuelly figures even adjusted to the same unit of measurement.

I've seen figures from PHEVs in warmer climates getting amazingly high mileage and I certainly do better in fair conditions myself, but I was surprised with yours.

Would you care to share your technique? Do you charge everyday at home and at work? Do you use your ICE for cabin heat or turn your temperature way down or off? I see your driving is 50/50 Highway/City, but are your drives generally long or short?

I tend to leave cabin heat turned on to Auto and set to 22* C and also use the seat and steering wheel heaters, since I do enjoy my cabin comfort.

Once again, I commend you and you should be proud of your fuel economy, I can only aspire to such figures. I'm just curious how you do it, so I might take a few lessons. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Filled up on pick up day (October 23rd), then again today.

I don't understand how to judge/compare MPG of a plug-in without mentioning the kWh added. If you plug-in every 30 miles, you would score an inifinite number of miles to the gallon.
Maybe its better to state the cost per Mile. Adding cost of fuel and electricity, divide by the miles.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't understand how to judge/compare MPG of a plug-in without mentioning the kWh added. If you plug-in every 30 miles, you would score an inifinite number of miles to the gallon.
Maybe its better to state the cost per Mile. Adding cost of fuel and electricity, divide by the miles.
This is true @mxhans and there are Apps that allow entry of both dino fuel and electricity like Fuelio.

I had the best intention of using this App myself, however since I generally only charge by using the level 1 charger on my PHEV at home, I also need to manually measure, calculate and record that electricity consumed rather than more simply use the data provided by a built-in level 2 charging system.

I actually did buy an in-line device to measure and calculate my home electron input in addition to my dino fuel for the ICE, however I soon realized I was too lazy even in these Covid times for this procedure, so I simply keep track on Fuelly of my gasoline fills and mileage only. Perhaps you will be more disciplined and successful.

BTW my own consumption of 3.6 L/100 km equals 27.777 km/L or 65.34 US mpg, so at least I have this as a gauge to compare consumption of dino fuel used or conversely not used by way of my additional electron input.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I actually did buy an in-line device to measure and calculate my home electron input in addition to my dino fuel for the ICE, however I soon realized I was too lazy even in these Covid times for this procedure, so I simply keep track on Fuelly of my gasoline fills and mileage only.
Yeah, I initially set up Fuelio with my Ioniq as dual fuel but quickly realized I had no desire to type in the kWh and km every morning before work, and reverted Fuelio back to the single fuel configuration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts