Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently I've been doing it all wrong? Usually I just turn on the heat button, crank the temperature dial to 25 degrees (example) and leave A/C button off in the winter to bring in hot air into the cabin.

Apparently someone told me that doing this is not efficient because it makes no use of the heat pump. This person said I should be doing the reverse to make use of the heat pump, so turn off heat button, turn on AC button, and crank temperature dial to 25 degrees (example). This person said I'd use less power to get heat.

Is this correct? I haven't tried it but I didn't think it worked this way...

Ideas?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Premium (EV)
68 Posts
The heat pump is activated automatically when appropriate. But it will use the resistive heating element for the first few minutes as the heat pump needs a bit of time to start up. Using the AC and HEAT at the same time consumes more power and give less heat, but can be helpful to remove fog from the windows.

So no, you should not use both HEAT and AC simultaneously unless you need to both heat and dry the air.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq premium -19, 28kWh
15 Posts
Just as above, heatpump is normally used, the heat button deactivated just prevents the PTC heater from running so all heat is taken from the pump, which is slower but more efficent way to heat the car.

If its cold you need to run the PTC if you want heat, it can hardly keep the cabin at 18°c when it's -10°c ambient(forget about heating it up at those temps using only pump).

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
857 Posts
I agree with Pablo, hit AUTO, set the temp you want and forget about it. The car will automatically increase or decrease it's heating and cooling as required.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
130 Posts
In the EV menu, you can see Energy Consumption and then can see how much power is going to/from motor, climate and electronics which is pretty awesome. If you see the climate using less then 1kw it's likely to be using the heat pump only as the temperature in the cabin has reached desired temperature, and doesn't need the resistive heater to maintain temperature unless it's really really cold out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The heat pump is activated automatically when appropriate. But it will use the resistive heating element for the first few minutes as the heat pump needs a bit of time to start up. Using the AC and HEAT at the same time consumes more power and give less heat, but can be helpful to remove fog from the windows.

So no, you should not use both HEAT and AC simultaneously unless you need to both heat and dry the air.
In Utah I can get away with just using the heat and no ac on a sunny cold day. No fog. But here in Portland it rains every day in winter so I have to use heat and ac or I’ll fog up mega fast

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as above, heatpump is normally used, the heat button deactivated just prevents the PTC heater from running so all heat is taken from the pump, which is slower but more efficent way to heat the car.

If its cold you need to run the PTC if you want heat, it can hardly keep the cabin at 18°c when it's -10°c ambient(forget about heating it up at those temps using only pump).
Oh yes this is exactly what the person was telling me.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq premium -19, 28kWh
15 Posts
The difference at 0°c driving my 55km commute is about 100w and about 10 minutes until the cabin is warm, the PTC is only used to help speed up the heating at these temps.
Not really worth the effort of remembering to switch it off, the gain is probably bigger just slowing down 1km/h or accelerating at under 20kW.

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq Electric
35 Posts
In my car, disabling the heat button disables all heating including the heat pump. It's clear from the energy report and the lack of heat being generated. I should add that is also with the AC off as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts