Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm in the market for a used Ioniq, and I see that I can find both models as demo-cars within my (and quite similar) budget.
What should I go for, knowing that I do mostly very short distances?

Thanks for your advice,

Frank

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq Premium +
8 Posts
I commute 180 km with my EV 28 kWh but can charge my work if I want.
I have not felt any major worries about whether the battery will last all the way, but today I drove back and forth to my work with a full charge

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
124 Posts
Driving my 38 kWh slowly in winter (5-10C temp) on wet roads I've managed a 160 mile trip with 40 miles left at the end. A lot of this was using radar-controller ACC to follow large lorries. In summer I can see this car managing the claimed 193 miles EPA driving at 60-65 mph (maybe faster?), but have yet to be able to test this.
Big difference is the charging rate on long trips, the 38 cannot go over 46 kW charging then drops at 53% SOC, while the 28 can do about 65 kW up to about 78% SOC. But this will only matter if you do a lot of long trips.
As you do mostly short trips, the different capacities 28 & 38 will simply mean you're recharging less often, if you have to use a Rapid. If charging at home, no difference at all really.

28 has air cooled battery, 38 is liquid cooled & there's some special fluid that may need to be changed every ?4? years at maybe a rather high cost; there has been some discussion here, but I can't remember the details, so you may want to look into this & check. Hyundai dealer should have the details.

Warranty is 5 years I think, so you might want to see what an extended wty costs, if you plan to keep the car a long time. Any EV is a possibly expensive risk when wty is gone, so either have an extended one, or have a large lump sum of cash in hand in case you get hit with a big bill.

·
Registered
28kWh Premium electric
23 Posts
What are short distances? I use the bike for short <15km distances. I could highly recommend! :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts