Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope it works out. There is a small colour scheme change for the white models in 2023. The trim around the wheels and at the bottom of the door is black and I like it a lot better than the silvery gray on the '22 models. Plus there is the pre-conditioning of the battery. Not sure if there are many other differences. Some of the menu options that I have seen on youtube are different than what I have.

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
319 Posts
As has become evident in many discussions here on the matter, how much of a handicap it is depends entirely on your use. And some uses really need one. The reason I asked the question is that a prototype N Series was spotted with a rear wiper, raising hope that Hyundai had finally come to their senses.

If they've developed the parts and tooling to add one, it would be truly stupid to put it only on the N. That would be like forcing people to buy the highest-performing, most expensive model to get intermittent wipers, reclining seat backs, self-canceling turn signals and other basics.

But then it's also truly stupid to not have a rear wiper when even the lowliest hatchbacks all have them. (And let's face it - the 5 is just a big hatchback, with the same need for a rear wiper as any hatchback.)

So stupidity, or lack of same, might not be much of a motivating factor at all for Hyundai. Seriously - they've gotten flack about this faceplant from all over the globe, and now we all know they have the means to fix it. So fix it. Or is it really that hard to admit a mistake?

·
Registered
55 Posts
As has become evident in many discussions here on the matter, how much of a handicap it is depends entirely on your use. And some uses really need one. The reason I asked the question is that a prototype N Series was spotted with a rear wiper, raising hope that Hyundai had finally come to their senses.

If they've developed the parts and tooling to add one, it would be truly stupid to put it only on the N. That would be like forcing people to buy the highest-performing, most expensive model to get intermittent wipers, reclining seat backs, self-canceling turn signals, etc.

But then it's also truly stupid to not have a rear wiper when even the lowliest hatchbacks all have them. (And let's face it - the 5 is just a big hatchback, with the same need for a rear wiper as any hatchback.)

So stupidity, or lack of same, might not be much of a motivating factor at all for Hyundai. Seriously - they've gotten flack about this faceplant from all over the globe, and now we all know they have the means to fix it. So fix it. Or is it really that hard to admit a mistake?
All I can say is that I am currently driving a hatchback without a rear wiper (prius prime) in the dirtiest conditions and while it could be better it’s not a big problem. I think that it’s blown a bit out of proportions how big of an issue it is. You can add hydrofuge coating there it would help a bit.

From what I saw the 2023 doesn’t seem to have a wiper there. Wouldn’t say no to that. But it’s far from being a deal breaker.

And yeah I totally did forget about the I5N. So who knows I might be pleasantly proven wrong!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hope it works out. There is a small colour scheme change for the white models in 2023. The trim around the wheels and at the bottom of the door is black and I like it a lot better than the silvery gray on the '22 models. Plus there is the pre-conditioning of the battery. Not sure if there are many other differences. Some of the menu options that I have seen on youtube are different than what I have.
Could you post a picture?

·
Registered
46 Posts

If they've developed the parts and tooling to add one, it would be truly stupid to put it only on the N. That would be like forcing people to buy the highest-performing, most expensive model to get intermittent wipers, reclining seat backs, self-canceling turn signals, etc.

It seems to be one of those things that's really important to some but not so important to others. Of the 20+ cars I've owned over the years, only one had a rear window wiper. It was actually a pain. LOL, eventually in Chicago traffic it randomly launched it into the air and I never saw it again. I have zero need for the rear wiper. Glad the I5 doesn't have one. But I can understand how some may figure it's a deal-breaker in buying a car. It's just not something I want on a car.

·
Registered
Ordered 73kwh Ultimate AWD
19 Posts
It seems to be one of those things that's really important to some but not so important to others. Of the 20+ cars I've owned over the years, only one had a rear window wiper. It was actually a pain. LOL, eventually in Chicago traffic it randomly launched it into the air and I never saw it again. I have zero need for the rear wiper. Glad the I5 doesn't have one. But I can understand how some may figure it's a deal-breaker in buying a car. It's just not something I want on a car.
Same here, I live in France, Paris, and I never felt the need to use it on my current and previous cars.

Then again Paris isn't a really snowy place so I guess ymmv.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I received what I thought was a 2022 model in early July, but hit has the black trim you describe and says it does battery precondtitionning (have to wait till it gets cold to find out if it works).

·
Registered
Ordered 73kwh Ultimate AWD
19 Posts
I ordered an Ioniq 5 in January and wasn't I pleasantly surprised when the model that arrived yesterday was the 2023 version. I love the car! Just getting oriented.
How do you find the dampers? (they're supposed to be "smart frequency dampers" now)

And if you've test driven a my22, is there a noticeable improvement in body control?

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
for the black vs silver-gray, you are mixing preferred vs ultimate. Does your myhundai app really show 2023? I'd be suprised.

·
Registered
2022 White Ioniq 5 SEL
144 Posts
The trim is one thing I like better about the white SEL versus a white Limited. Battery pre-conditioning sure would be nice to have.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts