Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather annoyed. I always buy OEM premium floor mats for my cars and use them all year round. So I went in to pick up the mats for my car (2020 Ioniq Electric Ultimate package) at the dealer. OEM mats are a little pricey but it's worth it for the perfect fit. Anyhoo, they give me the mats and the anchors are totally in the wrong spot. I go back in, and they apologize and say, the mats were for the HEV/PHEV version. There are no floor mats for the EV version, doesn't look like Hyundai intends to make any. Probably because they don't expect to sell enough.

So, Hyundai is basically saying thank you for purchasing the the top of the line, fully loaded model, but we're not interested in making premium mats for you model, only the cheaper models.

The HEV/PHEV mats were nearly a perfect fit, only real issue was the damn floor anchor. You get a hump where it is, and a hole where it ain't. I'm considering if the floor anchors can be easily removed, I may just go with the 'wrong' mat and put some industry velcro down to hold them.

Anyone by chance ever removed the floor anchors in a Hyundai?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can see it now, you'll have some accident, completely unconnected to the floor mats, some ambulance chaser will find this thread and then you'll lose whatever case you're involved in

...or you'll have a problem with Hyundai, and they'll find it and Hyundai will claim they are not liable

...or have I lived in the US too long? :devilish:

Here's what the book says: ALWAYS use the Floor Mat Anchors to attach the front floor mats to the vehicle. The anchors on the front floor carpet keep the floor mats from sliding forward.

Here's the text from the first warning box: [snip] Only use floor mats designed to connect to the anchors.

Here's the text from the second warning box: The following must be observed when installing ANY floor mat to the vehicle. • Ensure that the floor mats are securely attached to the vehicle's floor mat anchor(s) before driving the vehicle. • Do not use ANY floor mat that cannot be firmly attached to the vehicle's floor mat anchors. • [snip] IMPORTANT - Your vehicle was manufactured with driver’s side floor mat anchors that are designed to securely hold the floor mat in place. To avoid any interference with pedal operation, HYUNDAI recommends that the HYUNDAI floor mat designed for use in your vehicle be installed.

Not that you don;t know that already and not that you could really take it with a pinch of salt, but you can see the liability would be all yours

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rather annoyed. I always buy OEM premium floor mats for my cars and use them all year round. So I went in to pick up the mats for my car (2020 Ioniq Electric Ultimate package) at the dealer. OEM mats are a little pricey but it's worth it for the perfect fit. Anyhoo, they give me the mats and the anchors are totally in the wrong spot. I go back in, and they apologize and say, the mats were for the HEV/PHEV version. There are no floor mats for the EV version, doesn't look like Hyundai intends to make any. Probably because they don't expect to sell enough.

So, Hyundai is basically saying thank you for purchasing the the top of the line, fully loaded model, but we're not interested in making premium mats for you model, only the cheaper models.

The HEV/PHEV mats were nearly a perfect fit, only real issue was the damn floor anchor. You get a hump where it is, and a hole where it ain't. I'm considering if the floor anchors can be easily removed, I may just go with the 'wrong' mat and put some industry velcro down to hold them.

Anyone by chance ever removed the floor anchors in a Hyundai?
Why don't you consider Tuxmat? They are very good and the floormat are very premium too.

Check them out

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had this on my 2017 EV and now I switched to phev. I used the same one, it is perfect fit on EV but it is still ok on my phev. Just the back is a little off but I don't think it is an issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why don't you consider Tuxmat? They are very good and the floormat are very premium too.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have actually looked at TuxMat. They have a few cons:
  • they do not use the factory anchors and require you install secondary ones in your carpet.
  • they cover a little "too much". Reviews tend to indicate they are a bugger to get in and out of the vehicle.
The Hyundai OEM premium ones are just about perfect. They have very good coverage but not so much that they are difficult to remove/install making it very easy to clean. The the material doesn't overtly look "winterized", it looks like it could be the normal factory carpet/floor.

I guess I'm just super frustrated that Hyundai would would snub the most expensive trim. When I tried out the HEV/PHEV in my car, it was clear the mats are identical, except they moved the anchors forward about 6 inches in the EV. What makes it worse is this puts the factory carpet mat way too far forward so the carpet is already getting filthy right in front of the drivers seat. The positioning of these carpet mats makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
2020 ioniq electric ultimate
13 Posts
We just came home with our new EV ultimate and we are getting the rubber mats from the dealer - picking them up next week
I’ll let you know
(Are we talking about the same thing?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We just came home with our new EV ultimate and we are getting the rubber mats from the dealer - picking them up next week
I’ll let you know
(Are we talking about the same thing?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No. There are four types from the dealer. The least expensive are basic rubber ones. Next up is the carpet mats (come with the car), then the Weather Tech ones (these are awful imho), and top are the really nice Premium All Weather.

The premium ones have an almost woven carbon fibre look and feel to them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't speak for LHD models nor the market situation in Canada, but there are certainly genuine carpet mats for the 2020 EV in the UK (RHD) which fit the mountings perfectly, of course. In the UK as elsewhere, the EV mounting points differ to the other variants and to the earlier EV model, so they are EV specific.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't speak for LHD models nor the market situation in Canada, but there are certainly genuine carpet mats for the 2020 EV in the UK (RHD) which fit the mountings perfectly, of course. In the UK as elsewhere, the EV mounting points differ to the other variants and to the earlier EV model, so they are EV specific.
Yes, in Canada/USA, there is rubber, carpet and Weather Tech available to order for the 2020 Electric. The only mat not available for the Electric model are the nice premium mats. For the HEV/PHEV, all four mats are available for order. That's what bothers me. I'm speculating that he lower volumes for the Electric lead them to not bother making the premium mat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts