Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

2020 Ioniq Plug-in - first impressions

16K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  Fuelsipper69 
#1 ·
It's just over a month since I traded my Ford Focus Estate for a 2020 Ioniq Plug-In Premium SE. Here are some first impressions that might interest anyone thinking of a similar move. Overall, there is a lot to like, but there have been some disappointments too; let's get those out of the way first.

1) The Hyundai website told me that a Shale Leather interior was an option at no extra cost, and I liked the look of it. But no cars with this interior are actually being sold - it's Dark Grey or nothing. Never mind. Dark Grey turns out not to be as gloomy as it sounds, and my cabin is a perfectly pleasant place to be.
2) The Hyundai website also makes a big selling point of "The stylish and intricate alloy wheels [which] are aerodynamically sculpted to minimize air turbulence and deliver optimal fuel economy." They do look great; only problem is that Hyundai don't put them on the cars they actually deliver. The ones you get look fairly downmarket by comparison. Sorry, Hyundai, but you get a BLACK MARK for that.
3) I drive about 10 miles most days, with occasional longer trips. So with a 39 mile electric range, I thought I could do most of my driving without burning fuel. No. Not in winter, at least, because the heating and ventilation need the engine to run a lot of the time, even when the car is being pushed along electrically. I'm not giving black marks here, though. The hybrid design obviously involves compromises, and I can't expect it to be tailored exactly to my circumstances. Fuel economy still looks pretty good, but time will tell.

OK, so what's good? Just about everything else! Colourwise, I took a risk on the new Electric Shadow, though it's hard to tell from photos on the web just what it looks like in reality. I hoped for something distinctive but understated, and am well pleased with what I got. In a dull light, it's more or less grey, but there is a hint of greenish blue that I find very pleasing, especially in a decent light. And the new front end styling is a great improvement to my eye (not that I want to undermine anyone's affection for the older version).

Electric driving, which I hadn't experienced before, is quiet and smooth, though inevitably some road and wind noise is apparent at higher speeds. Even when the engine kicks in, it is reasonably unobtrusive, and the transition is smooth. I had worried that with the weight of engine, motor and batteries the Plug-in might be underpowered, but I have found no problem at all (though admittedly I am not a particularly sporty driver). And I do love the regenerative braking. Advise me to get a life if you like, but it is hugely satisfying to know that I am recovering energy rather than wearing out brake pads! I worry a little about whether the brake lights come on when I do this though. Can anyone help me out here?

I have a smartphone, a tablet and a laptop, and I was sceptical about whether I needed another pc-like screen sticking up from my dashboard, notwithstanding that several manufacturers are moving that way. I have been pretty much won over, though. The navigation map is bright and sharp, the view from the rear camera is not quite high-definition, but perfectly usable, and although the touchscreen response is sometimes a little slow, this is not a significant problem. Controls for the climate system audio and so on are almost all touch-sensitive virtual buttons rather than mechanical ones. I have seen reviews that complain about this, but everything works fine, and to me it makes for an appealing, clean design. There are a host of driving aids, which will be more useful to some folks than to others. To me, the lane-following system is of doubtful value, for example, but I love the fact that the wing mirrors automatically dip when I go into reverse, so I can actually see the parking space I'm aiming for!

By and large, then, I am loving this car! SHAME ABOUT THE WHEELS, THOUGH.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there.

I have had my PHEV for a year and can offer the following thoughts...

Heating... it is my only frustration that if I need the heating on, the engine starts. If it is not too cold I often just use the heated seats / steering wheel and only switch the ventilation on for a few seconds at a time to clear the misting when needed. If you set the temperature on 'LO' it doesn't start the engine.

Also, this is only for a short part of the year anyway. In the summer, the AC runs 'all electric'.

Brake Lights... in my opinion Hyundai have this right and they come on when they should come on. The best way to see for yourself when they are on / not on would be to watch in the mirror for the red reflection when driving at night. This way you can get a feel for how hard / soft you can be on the brake pedal for them to light up / not light up.

All in all I find the PHEV a great car, and since my daily trip is also well within the EV range have driven mostly electric for the ca. 8000 miles. (I have filled it up only four or five times - mostly half filling it each time, mainly when I have taken it on long journeys).

I love the electric driving so much that I have now taken the leap and ordered a Kona Electric (nothing wrong with the PHEV, just now want to go full electric for no really good reason!)

#4 ·
I love the electric driving so much that I have now taken the leap and ordered a Kona Electric (nothing wrong with the PHEV, just now want to go full electric for no really good reason!)
Yes, driving on electricity really grows on you, doesn't it? After driving a PHEV for almost a year and a half, I switched to an Ioniq electric, and I couldn't be happier! :)

#3 ·
2) The Hyundai website also makes a big selling point of "The stylish and intricate alloy wheels [which] are aerodynamically sculpted to minimize air turbulence and deliver optimal fuel economy." They do look great; only problem is that Hyundai don't put them on the cars they actually deliver. The ones you get look fairly downmarket by comparison. Sorry, Hyundai, but you get a BLACK MARK for that.
That's strange. All the new Ioniqs at my local dealer come with exactly the same rims as pictured at the Hyundai website.

Note, though, that the rims differ depending on your drive-train. The plug-in doesn't have the same rims as the electric. I haven't seen any 2020 HEV's in real life yet.

Can you post a picture of what your wheels actually look like?

#9 ·
Yes. Here are the advertised wheels:

also seen fitted to ptototype cars::

and the ones on my car:

These are specifically the PHEV wheels. I have seen a few 2020 HEVs, and they seem to have wheels identical to those advertised - but of course I paid less attention. I have yet to see a pure electric Ioniq on the road.

#5 ·
My commute is 5 miles/10 miles 16km return. Since the car won't warm up in that time anyway i use the heated seats and steering wheel. I do a couple of longer journeys per month so my cumulative fuel consumption for a year/10,000 miles is 243mpg or 0.97/100km. I tend to use the ICE when there are passengers in the car to keep them warm otherwise the consumption would be even lower. I would go pure EV but my company is not enlightened enough to pay an ev mileage rate yet!!

Reactions: Ioniquest
#6 ·
Electric driving, which I hadn't experienced before, is quiet and smooth, though inevitably some road and wind noise is apparent at higher speeds. Even when the engine kicks in, it is reasonably unobtrusive, and the transition is smooth. I had worried that with the weight of engine, motor and batteries the Plug-in might be underpowered, but I have found no problem at all (though admittedly I am not a particularly sporty driver). And I do love the regenerative braking. Advise me to get a life if you like, but it is hugely satisfying to know that I am recovering energy rather than wearing out brake pads! I worry a little about whether the brake lights come on when I do this though. Can anyone help me out here?
Glad its not just me getting excited about regenerative braking! I love it, especially having different levels!

On the subject of brake lights coming on with regenerative braking, I have checked the reflection on road signs through the rear view mirror at night and they do not come on at any level, they only come on with pressing the brake paddle, someone might add to this, it was my biggest worry that car behind me might think I am braking like mad!!

#16 ·
We just tested this yesterday...regardless of setting (1/2/3) the brake lights did not come on...and at lower speeds (e.g. neighbourhood 40km/h) level 3 will just about stop the car in short order. But I do notice that it depends on the level and speed you're going at. Eg. going along at 60km/h and lifting off with Level 1/2 doesn't seem to be drastic...but level 2/3 at 30km/h feels like you're hitting the brakes firmly. So same here...we're very conscious of what the person behind us might be seeing as we slow down without the tail lights on.

#7 ·
3) I drive about 10 miles most days, with occasional longer trips. So with a 39 mile electric range, I thought I could do most of my driving without burning fuel. No. Not in winter, at least, because the heating and ventilation need the engine to run a lot of the time, even when the car is being pushed along electrically. I'm not giving black marks here, though. The hybrid design obviously involves compromises, and I can't expect it to be tailored exactly to my circumstances. Fuel economy still looks pretty good, but time will tell.
Like the other posters I use the electric heating of seats and steering wheel especially if I am on my own. If I was going on a longer journey and it was cold I might switch to hybrid mode immediately to get the engine and cabin up to temperature quickly but that is rarely necessary. You should find that the electric range improves as it gets warmer and the car has covered more miles. (Don't ignore sport mode completely it can be useful for joining fast roads or giving it a bit of oomph on a hill. Try it out on a quiet bit of road first if you like as it is a bit lively).

#31 ·
David, don’t ignor sport mode at all. Have you forgotten that the vehicle will fully recharge while driving in sport mode? At 110 kmph in 6th gear it will recharge in about 99 miles and give you 42.6 mpg. In 5th gear at the same speed it will recharge in just over 50 min and gives 34.2 mpg. You give up 8 mpg but only for 47 minutes less time. I only drive in 2 modes. Electric or sport. I am either driving electric or charging while driving so I can get back to all electric! Using 5th gear to recharge, the ratio is roughly 2 to 1. For every 2 miles on gas, you acquire about 1 mile of electric driving. In Ontario, Canada right now, we are paying about .90 cents a litre. When your charge is depleted and hybrid kicks in, you will get about 51 to 52 mpg at 65 mph but using sport mode for 50 minutes to recharge will give only 34.2 mpg. This loss of 15 mpg for 50 minutes uses only an insignificant amount of extra gas but of course you now will drive the next 30 miles using zero gas and your average mpg regains as much or more than you gave up while charging and you don’t stop to plug in anywhere but at home.
I am on my second Ioniq PHEV and I have driven from Ontario Canada to SAN Francisco, California twice and to Houston , Texas twice, logged over 50,000 total miles (nearly 1/2 in all electric) and I have 10 or 12 pages of notes from experiments in every gear, every speed, in every type of terrain and every type of weather.
For what it is worth, in a recent experiment in rural, lower speed driving (50 mph max and using always level 3 regen braking when slowing or stopping in small towns) I drove just over 46 miles on 1 charge and this was 4 miles better than my 2018 did on the identical route. I had also found a way to make my 2018 fully recharge in hybrid mode while yielding about 47 mpg while charging.

#8 ·
With a Ioniq PHEV, in winter, going alone for a within EV range trip, is special case for saving fuel: Keeps clothes, turn on steering whell and seat heating, turn off climate. If some condensation, turn on front defrost for a few seconds, then off.
Opposite, if planning to go more than EV range, may be start with HEV mode, save EV range to later when car is comfortable (but don't forget it, always use all charge before reaching charger again).

The possibility t heat air by electricity (inverter) is something the PHEV lacks. It also lacks electric defroster for wind screen and preheating. All would come handy, especially for short trips in winter. But such things are costly, also compared to using a little fuel to gain the same.

Oh, driving electric, both the near immediate response and the silence of it, points me to the all electric future (next car).

#11 ·
As an example there is a journey I make fairly often of around 30 miles with myself and my wife. We rarely have the A/C on and the journey is usually all electric with sometimes say 6 miles reduction of petrol range and a fairly similar overall reduction in overall range, ie total mileage 30 miles total range reduction 36 miles. Outside temperature about 8-10 degrees C.

Today I repeated the journey in similar temperature but we took an old lady out for her birthday so there was one extra passenger. The journey was 9 miles longer at 39 miles, the A/C was on at 20.5 the whole time and there was no manual control of the HEV setting. All of the electricity was used and the petrol range had decreased by 17 miles more than the journey would suggest. Therefore at a very rough guess the extra passenger and full use of the A/C had cost about 12 miles of petrol.

#12 ·
I'm considering a Ioniq Plug-in, as it has the reassuring extra miles through the ICE.
Driving from home with no sound is a dream of mine.

So, has anyone used the mobile app to preheat the car before taking off?

#13 ·
No. The app doesn't give me that option. And I don't think it would work, because the heating doesn't function without the engine running. Maybe with the pure electric version . . . ? The heated seat gets you warm fairly quickly, though.

#19 ·
I don't think any US Ioniq PHEVs have a heat pump and only as an option in Canada. The low cost manufacturer solution would be a resistance heater. The heat pump is probably over $1,000 extra but is the greenest solution. What does the CCP cost in Canada?

#20 ·
I believe that all the Canadian HEV/PHEVs have the Cold Climate Package, it wasn't a separately priced option in 2019. It does not include the heat pump which was only on the two EV trims, I suspect it refers to the exhaust heat recovery system and heated front seats. Heated rear seats and steering wheel came on every 2019 Canadian IONIQ except the Essential (i.e. most basic) HEV trim.

#22 ·
We're going to test this again...but with me following my wife in our other car. Just around the local block (40KM/H zone)...regen on and driving "normally" around and regen'ing at bends when we'd normally let off and at the stop signs. I'm wondering if our last test was correct. I was standing on the sidewalk as my wife drove around the block and engaged the regen (had it set and just let off) in front of our house. I'm wondering if it didn't really engage fully (noticed it slow down by eye watching it from my view)...maybe we were at too full of a charge for it to really do it's thing. Anyways, I'll post what happens...we'd both like to know for sure. If the brake lights don't engage on their own when it feels like they should...then we'll adjust our usage accordingly.

#24 ·
We retested just now tonight. 40km/h, runs around our residential block. Confirmed that at Level 1 and Level 2 the brake lights do not come on. At level 3 the brake lights come on.

Level 1...by eye/observation it doesn't really seem to be "braking", more just driver let off and the car is slowing normally (maybe just a bit more than coasting to a stop). By driver feel...can feel it engage regen, but it's not drastic.
Level 2...by eye, definitely seems like the car is actively slowing down vs just let off and coast. By feel, definitely feels like you're apply light brakes. I'd feel better if the brake lights came on. In one run there was another car behind and it closed the gap in short order.

Level 3...definitely the car slows quickly and feels like you're applying brakes, and brake lights come on right away. That's reassuring.

If the batt is fully charged and you turn on regen and let off, you get a display warning that regen can't be engaged.

#26 ·
because the heating and ventilation need the engine to run a lot of the time, even when the car is being pushed along electrically. I'm not giving black marks here, though. The hybrid design obviously involves compromises, and I can't expect it to be tailored exactly to my circumstances. Fuel economy still looks pretty good, but time will tell.
Same here~
If it can reassure: the "engine energy" is not not totally lost: the heat is send to the cabin, of course, but during the time the engine turns burning fuel, it’s actually recharging the battery aswell. It’s quite well designed.
Also, the "flaps" on the front of the car avoid cold air going to the engine. On a regular car (or on a long trip in a PHEV), this is needed to cool the engine, but here, the flaps are closed so it heats very fast.

I don’t have the "heated seats + heated driving wheel" option (wasn’t available here in France as a standalone option, only with a full and quite expensive package), but the people that have it use that instead of the air vents.
They say it’s enough to warm them up without using petrol. It will obviously use some extra electricity, but nothing compared to the energy required to move the car : you would need to use an 2000W electric heating for 4 hours straight to drain it.

On an EV, this would be a problem. But on a PHEV that is designed to run only mild-short distances, it’s not a problem: you won’t be in the car for long. and if you do, well, you’ll need the thermal engine whatsoever, thus producing heat. If I had to drive long distances to work (I’m driving 9 miles / 13 km), I’d start on HEV mode to heat the car and then go on EV, once the car is heated and that heating is sufficient for you to end your trip.

I worry a little about whether the brake lights come on when I do this though.
I mainly use the stearing-whell paddles to adjust the regenetive braking. What I’ve noticed is that, on the 2020 model at least, is that the level 3 turns the brake lights on. The level 1 does not. For the level 2, it depends : when going from 1 to 2, it does not. When going from 3 to 2, the light go on at 3 and remain lit on 2, until you push the gas pedal or put the regen on 1 or 0. It’s quite clever.

#27 ·
I will be fitting the DEFA block heater before the start of next winter, so when the temps dip below freezing I can prewarm the ICE to a usable temperature before the start of my journey,
Two benefits being a warm interior more or less straight away and a engine not running on its cold start settings, so less fuel plus less pollution and better for the engine overall,

#49 ·
However the Phev works different to the Hev when cold. The engine doesn't start by default until the temperature falls to -13C (8.3F), above that temp. it defaults to EV mode, and selecting heat the engine only warms to 140F to give heat to the cabin then shuts down until the coolant reaches 104F and the engine restarts and this continues this cycle until the EV range is depleted and the engine is pre-warmed while driving. The minimal running only provides heat and a small amount of generation but does not motivate the car or turn the wheels. It uses 1.7- 2.6 pints of fuel to do so 1-1.5L in the time it takes to run down the EV range in city driving. City in my books anyways is between 0-45Mph. Your block heater is not needed but won't hurt.

#35 ·
'Lockdown' was forcing price low but is creeping up again per litre:
UKP 1.259 CAD 2.13
UKP 1.119 CAD 2.01 You do the sums :confused:

#41 · (Edited)
I mean if you're running 65mph in 5th gear to charge the engine and this is the scenario you get 34.2mpg, then the relevant comparison point will be also running HEV mode at 65mph to maximize efficiency in order to compare this correctly. True that running HEV at 70-80mph won't give you 50mpg, but 5th gear at that speed won't get you 34.2 either. Also, I'd imagine that going EV at 65mph doesn't seem to be the most efficient as i tend to avoid EV if I'm going that fast on an extended drive. , so I'm not sure if you get 29 miles in pure expressway driving at that speed.

Good point on the scenario where you gain some EV range for the lower speed cases though. Your post was interesting even if I don't agree with a lot of it, so it did give some things to try out, as I am a bit annoyed that on long trips I might not have access to a level 2 charger and I would like a means to have some EV range when I encounter the inevitable stop and go in the city. I had thought that it would be much more inefficient than what you reported though so that's why I hadn't tried it out myself.

Obviously the latter part of your post kind of speaks to personal preference, so it is a free country and you can do whatever. I can't imagine that running the engine suboptimally at 5th gear for extended periods of time is good for the engine though as this means there is higher revs in the engine, even if it runs 35% of the time in EV mode.

#44 ·
Xywang84. The 6th gear in the Ioniq 6 speed dual clutch transmission is actually an overdrive gear and I have corresponded with the engineering department in Korea and using 5th gear at any speed cannot harm the engine in any manner. Once again, please, please do not post and criticize if you do not know the facts of what you are talking about.
Honestly, this is becoming tiresome as I originally felt that fellow members on a forum dedicated to Ioniq PHEVs would welcome news and positive information about the vehicle but this has turned into replies from a bunch of negative Nellies who do not know what the **** they are talking about and do not want educational info from some bozo in the colonies in Canada that might teach them something.

#45 · (Edited)
No need to be so thin skinned about things. I'll gladly own up to the fact that I was speculating on 5th gear extended period operation, as I don't know the detailed design parameters of the engine here, and if you have corresponded with Hyundai that this is fine then I'll take you at your word on that.

Its a bit of a pointless conversation though as this all ends up being a matter of interpretation. At the end of the day as you have admitted, the total amount of gas burned to go any distance ends up being maybe just slightly more in the method that you put it, so who cares if its distributed 570 gas + 30 ev or like 330 gas + 250 ev. I don't know what is more, engine wear at higher revs going 330 miles or engine wear at lower revs going 570miles. But I don't think you really know either as this would take some very detailed engineering studies that neither of us have partaken in.

The main thing I think that is probably off-putting to the people in this forum is that you come in with a very assertive know-it-all attitude which kind of rubs people the wrong way. Some of these points are certainly debatable and we can have a decent conversation about that, but we should be up front about the uncertainties if we do that and not make overly broad conclusions. Others are sort of in the face of basic physics, which is I think what the most vehement opposition to what you said arises from. At least that is the way I am interpreting it.

#47 ·
Well sir, let me try to sum it up from my point of view with an anology. Bear with me please. I am an avid handgun shooter. I shoot 11 different handguns regularly each Tues and Thurs evening. I travel Canada and the US extensively to enter and compete (legally) in shooting competitions. Of course with this amount of shooting, I hand reload my own ammo. I have been doing this for 40+ years. Never the less, I do NOT consider myself an expert in hand gun ballistics or shooting. I would not post on a gun forum, opinions of wether .357 magnum 160 grain copper jacketed hollow points loaded with high speed burning Bullseye powder are better and more accurate at 55 feet than 180 grain solid lead bullets loaded with regular burning Tight Group powder. I know a fair bit about handguns and competitions but not enough to call myself an expert and give anyone advice or direction on the subject. Now, when it comes to Hyundai Ioniq PHEV driving across the North American continent on 6 to 8 thousand mile trips in every weather and every terrain at every time of year, I am indeed an expert. If this comes off as “know it all” in attitude, I make no apology for it. The nonsense and claptrap about physics, heat loss of engines, inefficiency of burned petroleum to power a vehicle and charge a battery, loss of energy by heat, over reving an engine designed and built to do what I do and all the other foolishness expressed without ever having done precisely what I have is, just that! Foolishness!
I will leave it here. Bring a suitcase full of US $ and I will match it in a bet. We drive for 14 hours in my car and if anything I have stated can be proven untrue, you will have 2 suitcases full of $ but if you are unable to prove I am wrong, well, next years’ vacations are secured for me! A note! Be careful. This bet was already lost 2 years ago by a Tesla owner from Walnut Creek, California.
And now, as it is Tuesday evening, I am off to the gun range. Tonight’s menu includes a Ruger Mark 3, my Colt Python .357 and my S&W .357 model 686 with an 8 and 3/8ths inch barrel and a red dot laser scope.
Enjoy writing more criticism about my doubtful and inaccurate, inept knowledge about driving Hyundai Ioniq PHEVs across North America!

#48 ·
For you and any other UK drivers on this thread the Plug-in yes uses the engine to heat the car but can be used Electric with Engine Heat from 10C down to -2C(50F- 28.4F) and use a miserly 1 to 1.5 L(1.759-2.639pints) for the range afforded by the battery while keeping occupants comfortable and windows demisted. Kevin T has posted his experience with much detail on this forum. I have used the method of steering wheel and seat heaters in the past and get cold on the top of my legs to the point that I bought a blanket for my lap. However the point of driving the car with engine heat is to keep your batteries in the sweet spot or temperature range that they like to operate at. Batteries degrade in different ways in too cold and too hot situations, best to keep the batteries in their preferred temp. range for their longevity. The Ioniq is the only Phev I know of that has this feature using the engine for heat and a small amount of generation; but not powering the wheels.

Heating the car while leaving the car in EV mode runs the engine so minimally and extends the EV range, at 8C I still get the 65 km range I get in summer@ 22-26C(71.6-78.8F) city driving without AC on the stated 47 km(29mi) range battery here in Canada. At -2C(28F) I still manage 47 km(29mi), and yes I can manage 47km at 0C(32F) Without engine heat, but after that distance with just the seat and steering heaters I am quite chilled. The engine only heats itself to 140F and then shuts down until it cools down to 104F when it restarts. So the upper temps 5-10C(41-50F) it will run less often then the lower temps of -2 to 4C(28.4-39.2F). Below -2(28.4F) it is just better to drive in Hev as the engine cycles enough that the fuel savings are not met. At -13C(8.6F) the engine starts automatically and won't let you drive EV until the engine and battery are fully warmed up. Since the battery pack on the Hev and Phev are cooled and heated from the cabin through an air duct under the Left rear seat. It is wise to use engine heating to keep the traction battery, and the aux battery in the hatch from getting too cold. On hot summer days AC is a good option to keep the batteries cool as well. Maybe you don't see many 100F days but around 86F is where I use my AC, especially on the highway as wind resistance with windows open is wasteful and the sunroof on a sunny day at those temps doesn't provide enough cooling.

If I am driving on the highway in these temps I just switch to hybrid, after driving Engine Heat EV mode from house to ramp the engine is pre-warmed and uses less fuel and is at full operating temp shortly after merging with the highway.

Pros to using EV with engine heat: You don't need to blast cold outside air on the window to keep it clear, that if left too long can become a hazard and chill you and passengers as you try to clear it. It is no distraction unlike the above method for clearing windows. You protect the investment of your batteries so that they last a long time. You have a normal car experience without using excessive fuel in the Ioniq and still get to use EV mode down to 28.4F in the city. Running the heating affords you the cabin air filter and it's ability to condition the incoming air, for smells and remove excess humidity as the fan runs continuously unlike the method where using heated surfaces, filters nothing.

Cons to using EV with engine heat, you might fall asleep on a short drive in the warmth and comfort that is a less distracting drive as you won't be continually hitting the HVAC button to auto, the temp set to LO then turning off the AC button so as not to chill the air, to blast the windscreen and other windows that will need defoging, about every 8-10 minutes at 28F. You will be kept just minimally warm by seat and steering wheel heaters, and feel cold on every part of you that you are not in contact with a heating pad. The shivering will be a great alternative to the hot caffeine drink that helps fog the windows to keep you awake and alert. You won't be able to add to the humidity that blowing outside air brings into the cabin, and you won't have the cabin air filter to filter out any smells from the outside to add to keeping you awake and comfortable. You won't have to use any fuel to pre-warm the engine for the eventual depletion of the EV range and you will be able to burn that much more bringing the engine up to full operating temp from cold showing more consumption then just driving in Hev mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.