Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

2020 Ioniq Limited/Ultimate owner question

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Kaboom 
#1 ·
When you're driving along, what does the energy use display read for "electronics" while nothing is being used except radio?

I ask because I went with an Ionic Preferred (canadian trim) and one of the selling points of the Ultimate trim was full LED lighting which is supposed to cut energy consumption.

For reference, my preferred bounces around between .16kW and .2 kW for "electronics" while driving, which in itself seems miniscule. I just wonder if the Ultimate actually made a meaningful difference.

#3 ·
As Blackaddr points out, the lights are a fairly small percentage of your power consumption. Furthermore, LED bulds are so much brighter that they still consume about 60% of what the halogens do. It's not a huge savings, though better visibility.

I'm thinking of swapping my headlights but Lasfit doesn't seem to ship to Canada and other companies don't offer an adapter ring that I think is necessary for the Ioniq. If you swap yours please let us know where you source them! Cheers!

#5 ·
On mine, the first few miles show 0.4-0.5kW which I assume is topping up the 12V. After that it drops to around 0.2kW. But I understand US / Canada models don't have a 12V battery?

#7 ·
At the risk of being branded a grumpy old git (UK term of endearment, nothing offensive) 😀

There is such a thing as too much information! Speed, directions and fuel (whatever your car runs on) beyond that what else do you need? You’re supposed to be concentrating on what’s going on outside, not all the bells and whistles and all the features that are there because the engineers can include them, not because they should!

Just get in and enjoy the drive, don’t worry about the power consumption difference between different OEM bulb types or why is the car using different tiny amounts of power depending on whether you’ve been driving for 30 seconds or 30 minutes. 😀

#8 ·
I agree. But the question is valid, as I wondered that myself.

In Canada, the Ultimate trim is about $4,400 more before tax and unless you need leather and a sunroof the only options it offers that make any sense at all are more safety sensors and the LED lights. So, giving up the sensors, I also am thinking of adding LED bulbs and my first thought was the power consumption on a full EV would be a bonus. Turns out it makes a negligible difference. But the brightness is still a bonus. I will see how driving in the fall/winter treats me and I might still be tempted to change just the headlights and high beams for safety.

The Ultimate trim is great and all, but I think most of the extra cost is for leather. A sunroof, sensors and LEDs should cost ~$1,500 as an option. And I would like to see Hyundai offer full features without the leather in the future on their most efficient eco cars. Leather increases the carbon footprint a lot over cloth for those of us that care about those things.

#9 ·
Unfortunately in Canada, models are typically bundled in large packages compared to the USA where you can select features in a more granular way.

When i bought my Ioniq, the preferred was closer to $6000 cheaper, and I didn’t need leather, so it felt like a lot of wasted money for me. There was a $1500 incentive on the preferred but none on the ultimate.

#10 ·
Me and wife are in process of purchasing ionic ultimate in Canada. we were set on the preferred, but that discount applies to the ultimate as well now, plus was able to negotiate a little more offf the top of the ultimate. I really only care about the leather, the power seat and mostly the rear collision and cross traffic alert. Delivery in 2 weeks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.