Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread
41 - 60 of 64 Posts
It's hard to say right now because I just barely got the car, and with covid-19, I really haven't been able to drive much. I pretty much take every excuse to drive that I can, and that still barely gets me out the door once per day.

Bump. Anyone been able to check?
I did more checking on the tubing on my 2020 Ioniq Ltd and I'm now pretty certain that there is no heat pump. Question is: we don't have a heat pump, yet they used to list it as a spec on their website (I notice that it is no longer listed on their website).

Who's gonna file class-action and make us all rich?

I'm wondering if they simply redesigned the heat pump layout...
Sadly, this is not the case. There is no heat pump for us. For the price of the top-trim Ioniq, it should really be included default. Freaking car manufacturers always nickel-and-diming us customers, no wonder everyone hates them and their dealerships. Tesla's going to kill all these big guys b/c of cheap, sneaky **** like this.

Sadly, this is not the case. There is no heat pump for us. For the price of the top-trim Ioniq, it should really be included default. Freaking car manufacturers always nickel-and-diming us customers, no wonder everyone hates them and their dealerships. Tesla's going to kill all these big guys b/c of cheap, sneaky **** like this.
I think the Model 3 didn't have a heat pump until very recently...

I think the Model 3 didn't have a heat pump until very recently...
The Model 3 just announced it for 2021 cars along with the Y. I know folks like the heat pump as an option, but I do not know if it buys you any more than 5% range at the coldest times. It does add a lot of complexity to your HVAC system over a simple variable electric resistance heater. You can see my true range and performance for a '19 in Maine for a year if you search my posts. From what I see from others, with the heat pump, it was not that much different. Yes we all want every option, but Hyundai has chosen not to provide it for US vehicles.

I do hear you, but the top trim Ioniq can be had for around $35K before incentives. That comes with real leather (the Tesla 3 is only available in vinyl or "vegan leather"), sunroof, driving assistance (active cruise, lane departure etc). and premium audio. It also had nearly bullet proof reliability, high initial quality, front wheel drive (better winter driving performance than RWD), can be serviced at any Hyundai dealer, killer warranty and a $7500 federal tax credit. The starting for a base model 3 RWD is nearly $40K with delivery. So the Hyundai is nearly $12,500 less with tax incentive. You can also lease a Ioniq Limited (in Maine) for $259/Mo nothing down. Look up the cost of a Tesla lease $371 with $4500 down plus tax and fees. Hyundai gives you a lot, for quite a bit less. Yes there is a shorter range, but on the bright side, a faster charge time.

I do hear you, but the top trim Ioniq can be had for around $35K before incentives. That comes with real leather (the Tesla 3 is only available in vinyl or "vegan leather"), sunroof, driving assistance (active cruise, lane departure etc). and premium audio. It also had nearly bullet proof reliability, high initial quality, front wheel drive (better winter driving performance than RWD), can be serviced at any Hyundai dealer, killer warranty and a $7500 federal tax credit. The starting for a base model 3 RWD is nearly $40K with delivery. So the Hyundai is nearly $12,500 less with tax incentive. You can also lease a Ioniq Limited (in Maine) for $259/Mo nothing down. Look up the cost of a Tesla lease $371 with $4500 down plus tax and fees. Hyundai gives you a lot, for quite a bit less. Yes there is a shorter range, but on the bright side, a faster charge time.
Still doesn't do it for me. Firstly, Hyundai already engineered and added the heat pump to the cars, but only if you live in a certain part of the world. So they removed that function from the US just for more $$. On the other hand, Tesla's M3 didn't have the heat pump before, yet now it does. It's not like the previous M3 had the heat pump, and then they removed it from the next gen. Never should companies take steps backwards from previous features.

Also, you are very low on your price estimate of top level Ioniq (which still doesn't compete with lowest level M3 overall, but let's assume they are equal for now). I bought my Ioniq for $42k. That is after all taxes and after lots of negotiating on price, no incentives yet. So price isn't $35k, it's $42. Tesla doesn't negotiate, so you can take their website price as accurate, but not so for Hyundai or any other OEM. After incentives my $42k Ioniq became less than $20k, which is obviously why I went with the Ioniq over Tesla. But without incentives, Hyundai doesn't give you more for less, it's more like less for less.

Finally, you mentioned faster charge time because of shorter range? This is a false benefit. First of all, the charge time on superchargers has not competition. They are light years ahead of the slow rates that Ioniq charges at. Second of all, even if the charging rate was equal between Tesla and Hyundai, don't be deceived: just because the Ioniq has smaller battery and reaches 100% before the Tesla doesn't mean it received any more miles than the Tesla did. You simply had a smaller battery so you reached 100% faster, but the number of miles charged into each battery would be the same. Smaller batteries do not charge faster...they reach charge exhaustion faster.

Hyundai has not announced the '21 specifications yet. I cannot tell if they are offering the heat pump in '21 in the USA or an option. It would be nice if it were an option and folks could pay the $1K for it if they wanted.. I do agree, equal MSRP price to MSRP price and I wanted to pay $42K, I would choose the Telsa and it (if I did not live in a Snow environment and could get by with RWD) is the better buy due to battery size/performance etc (certainly not quality/warranty). But having use of the superchargers is nice and the electrical cost is less than most or all other level 3 universal chargers. But you stated the Hyundai was $20K after incentives. That's 50% of a Tesla cost and why you chose it (and why I would choose it as well). The Ioniq is very popular in CA and EU for certain, not so much in US. It may be the cost scares folks away.

Here is a sampling of East Coast 2020 Ioniq EV Limiteds right now. I hear some areas have a $11500 rebate if you lease it, bringing it down to $29K total purchase price (No $7500, the leasing company gets it). Finally, I do not understand the heat pump selections. In '19 Maine had it on the limited but not Base and I think that is true for all states but MD and CA (no heat pump on either). They obviously re-thought that in 2020. Agreed the charging and battery size, a kWh is a kWh and mile a mile. At the end it's how long of a range you want between charges based on your commute and predicted travels.

I’m wanting a US 2021 Ioniq Electric but the pictures I see from dealerships doesn’t show a heat pump under the hood. WTF
It’s not the end of the world. Yes it’s beneficial for a few miles extra miles in Winter but it’s expensive to fix when it breaks and they have had some failures. The PTC heater is pretty simple and reliable. It would not sway my decision on a used Gen 1 or 2 Ioniq…..

It’s not the end of the world. Yes it’s beneficial for a few miles extra miles in Winter but it’s expensive to fix when it breaks and they have had some failures. The PTC heater is pretty simple and reliable. It would not sway my decision on a used Gen 1 or 2 Ioniq…..
Thank you for this! I’m in Seattle where it doesn’t get too cold for very long cold anyway. I can get a Certified 2020 for a few grand cheaper.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am in the process of buying a 2020 Ioniq Limited, originally sold in NJ, and bought it partly because I read in the Car and Driver review that the Limited model has a heat pump. Had anyone every found definitive proof about whether or not this model in the US had a heat pump? Did some include/exclude it depending on the state? Is there possibly any way to tell by decoding the VIN?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere else, or a description of what it would look like and where it would be once I take delivery of the car. I could definitely make a difference in some of my road trips to see family. I also assume a heat pump will heat the car faster and more efficiently than the old style, but don't know for sure on that.

Appreciate any info you can provide!

This is from a European model but if you can eyeball the car the heatpump will be under the black shroud on the left. The plumbing for AC on our non heatpump version does not have this.

The car will still use the resistive ptc heater to get the temps up but then use the more efficient heat pump afterwards. Heat pumps also don't work as well as the outside temps get very cold and will switch back to the PTC.

pretty terrible that they had it in the 2019 models and ditched it in the 2020 and 2021 models. They could have at least left it in the Limited models. I guess that was a tradeoff for the bigger battery pack.

Funny though that Car and Driver praised the 2020 Limited model for having a heat pump and attributed it's improved efficiency partly to it. Must be a bunch of clowns running the show over there.

Have had mine in Northern NJ since Jan 21
A 20 Limited with no heat pump.
The car heats the cabin very fast with no delay.
Heat pump is better for less draw on the HV battery, but I have no complaints about range, nor cabin heat, nor anything.
DCFC is slow, especially in the winter, but the battery is not that big so DCFC doesn't take that long, either.
Don't really DCFC that much, anyway. Just 110V charge at home for 3 years and, now, that we have a second EV at home, we installed an L2.

pretty terrible that they had it in the 2019 models and ditched it in the 2020 and 2021 models. They could have at least left it in the Limited models. I guess that was a tradeoff for the bigger battery pack.

Funny though that Car and Driver praised the 2020 Limited model for having a heat pump and attributed it's improved efficiency partly to it. Must be a bunch of clowns running the show over there.
Didn't have heat pump in Oz either and even though we don't get super cold here I complained to Hyundai Australia a few times about how it should be standard equipment on an EV. Sent them my consumption tracking graph showing the hit it takes during winter. Complained when the 5 and the 6 were released as well without except on the top trim level.

Now all trim models for newly released 5, 6 and Kona have heat pump and conditioning as standard. I am taking credit for this. :)

It hasn't actually been a problem not having one I just don't like the consumption being that much higher :)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts