Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the 2020 Ioniq EVs since they recently started arriving at dealerships in the U.S. I'm not too happy to discover that the Limited trim does not have a heat pump :mad:

Salesman said he couldn't find it listed in the specs and looking under the hood you can see it's not there.

Here is the Ioniq EV with the heat pump. (you can see it on the left hand side)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I knew there had to be a reason why a lot of cars sold both in Europe and the US are cheaper in the US - they just leave a bunch of stuff out :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
>Here is the Ioniq EV with the heat pump. (you can see it on the left hand side)
I think the cylinder behind the battery on the right side is also part of the heat pump system? Is there a picture labeled to show the various heat pump parts?

That would be very disappointing if the heat pump is no longer available in the U.S. for the 2020s. It was standard, at least in NY, for the 2019 limited. Any chance there is a cold weather option now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you sure? I would assume the heat pump would use the same hardware as the a/c system, this is typically how heat pumps work (the extra hardware is minimal and consists mostly of an extra valve).

If true this is really disappointing. Along with the price increase, it's almost like they are trying NOT to sell these.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is a 2020 ioniq electric SE close to me, but that looks like the base version at $34k (The 2020 limited shows on cars.com as $38k to $39k).

I guess we can know for sure when 2020 U.S. sales brochure and manuals are online. Or, if someone takes a closer look at one. It is still possible that the heat pump is there in some new and different form factor ...

I went back and looked at my 2019 limited dealer listing, there is no mention of a heat pump there either (and the heat pump is definitely there, matches the HP pics above, plus minimal range hit in the 30s F), so I'd say it's still an open question for the 2020s. Also, the heat pump is not listed on my 2019 limited window sticker:
H1.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure? I would assume the heat pump would use the same hardware as the a/c system, this is typically how heat pumps work (the extra hardware is minimal and consists mostly of an extra valve).

If true this is really disappointing. Along with the price increase, it's almost like they are trying NOT to sell these.

Found another post that clearly shows how to tell if it has a heat pump. The U.S. 2020 definitely doesn't have one. They didn't put one in the U.S. 2020 Kona EV either (previous U.S. model years didn't have it either).

Pre heating in the cold

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is another example of a 2020 limited from Md. (sales person was very generous with his time to take the picture for us). Thank you to Preston Hyundai of MD!

He was told it has a heat pump, but doesn't look good if it should look like the 2019 heat pump. I still think the form factor could be different or new, but maybe that is wishful thinking. If it is like the 2019, that open spot on the left doesn't look good. (nothing on the window sticker either, but my 2019 with HP had nothing about it on the window sticker either, maybe they were playing it down, if it got dropped from the 2020 U.S. model?)

Does someone have a 2020 limited with the heat pump outside the U.S. who could post a picture for us? (Unless, rcm4453, is your Ioniq electric with a HP a 2020? I was thinking it was a 2019, or earlier, but not sure now).

60349774697__EFB0AA91-83BC-43F6-97AD-DACB85D9A22E.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is another example of a 2020 limited from Md. (sales person was very generous with his time to take the picture for us). Thank you to Preston Hyundai of MD!

He was told it has a heat pump, but doesn't look good if it should look like the 2019 heat pump. I still think the form factor could be different or new, but maybe that is wishful thinking. If it is like the 2019, that open spot on the left doesn't look good. (nothing on the window sticker either, but my 2019 with HP had nothing about it on the window sticker either, maybe they were playing it down, if it got dropped from the 2020 U.S. model?)

Does someone have a 2020 limited with the heat pump outside the U.S. who could post a picture for us? (Unless, rcm4453, is your Ioniq electric with a HP a 2020? I was thinking it was a 2019, or earlier, but not sure now).

View attachment 31773

View attachment 31774

I don't have an Ioniq EV yet I'm shopping around right now. The picture of the U.S. 2020 Ioniq EV Limited that I posted was from a dealership. The picture showing the Ioniq with heat pump was from another post on this forum. Really too bad it doesn't have one I live in Minnesota and would definitely help with winter range.

·
Registered
40 Posts
And car manufacturers wonder why there cars don't sell when they remove the things people want. I was going to go look at the 2020 version to see if we should get rid of our ice mini van. Will not bother now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm in New England and when I went to get my 2019 I asked about the heat-pump and the guys had no option to order it and no idea what it was or where it was in the car.

I really wish they had an add-on option, like the niro. No one is going to spend a ton of money for no heat pump this far north.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dave in 2019, at least in NY, possibly all U.S., the base model did not have the heat pump, but the 2019 Ioniq electric limited version does have the heat pump. The 2019 limited does not show the heat pump on the window sticker (my window sticker is posted above). The heat pump makes a big improvement in modest cold weather driving range (e.g. 30F to 40F), possibly less important at extreme cold (e.g. -25F). There are many posts here from the earlier years where some posted detailed reports.

I could not understand why Hyundai did not advertise the heat pump in 2019. It was almost like an "easter egg" to those of us new to the Ioniq electric.

Here is my 2019 limited (the heat pump components are on the left over the fender and behind the 12V battery)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same up in Connecticut. Limited came with the pump. I hope they just start allowing the option to add it a-la carte.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The cylinder behind the 12V battery is the pump itself, the left one is the plumbing needed to change from heating to cooling and both at the same time (drying effect). I'm wondering how the base version does the A/C when there is no pump in sight? I guess it is a puny little pump compared to the heating variant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts