Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to see 2020 Ioniq Electrics at local dealers for the first time. For the limited trim, it seems to start at about $38,000 and almost reach $40,000.

This strikes me as overpriced compared to the competition. There are 2020 Chevy Bolt Premiers available at dealers for about $30,000 after incentives, and the Tesla Model 3 starts at about $40,000. Both of these vehicles have significantly more power and range.

True, the Ioniq qualifies for the tax credit and the others don't -- but that's MY tax credit, not Hyundai's. They seem to be building that into their price, but even after the tax credit, it's about the same price as a Chevy Bolt.

What are your thoughts? I like the way the Ioniq looks (the Bolt is just ugly) but even with local incentives it still seems too expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I echo everything you said it is over priced. I also feel the Bolt EV is too ugly and dorky looking for me to consider. I'm trying to decide what to do have you considered the Kona EV? There's a dealer I found with a bunch of '19 Kona EV Limited models that are around $32k after $8k lease cash offer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, absolutely. The previous generation Ioniq was priced perfectly as a lower budget Tesla Model 3 alternative, which is exactly why I went for it. But the 2020s are now trying to play in the same price bracket as the Model 3, and it just can't compare.

If I had $40,000 to spend and had the choice between the Model 3 or the Ioniq 2020, I can't imagine why I'd go for the Ioniq. Which is a shame. The market needs a lower priced alternative.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm guessing this is a US-only question, but I'll shed some lights on what's happening here in France just in case.

Here the Ioniq 2020 starts at 34 000 EUR while the Model starts at 49 600 EUR. That's a huge difference.

In addition to being 15 600 EUR cheaper at catalog prices, the Ioniq is eligible for a 6 000EUR grant from the governement, while the Model 3, being more than 40 000, is only eligible to half.
So if you take the reduced prices of 28 000EUR and 46 6000EUR, the Ioniq is almost 20 000EUR cheaper.

So no, at least in France, the new Ioniq is not overpriced.

Please note that the Chevy Bolt is not available in Europe.
The direct competition would be the Renault Zoe and Peugeot e-208, but those are small city cars while the Ioniq is a family car.
In the family car EV category, only the Leaf remains, but the pricing is similar, and it's uglier and less confortable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Ioniq 38kwh ev is overpriced.
Problem is they have more buyer than cars.
Batteries are in short supply.
I don't think prices will improve until more electric cars than buyers.
Would you want Ioniq built to lower price like other mass market cars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
... There are 2020 Chevy Bolt Premiers available at dealers for about $30,000 after incentives, ...
The Bolt LT (base model) are in the low 20's after Chevy and Dealer incentives. I would not want another one, but it is a pretty good car for what it is.

My 2019 Ioniq limited is so much fun to drive, and I like it a lot. However, in the US market, IMHO this car is horribly over priced for its level of detail compared to other models. I hesitate to use the word "quality" because I don't see any flaws as such. OTOH, compared for example to the Honda Clarity PHEV, the Clarity cabin, size, ride, suspension, and driver's displays are all better, Clarity cabin quality closer to ACURA class. In 2018, for comparison, the Clarity top model sold for around $37,400. Occasional lease deals were as low as $200/mo. for the base model.

For the OP, if you want a 2020 Ioniq electric at a better price, just wait for Hyundai's end of model year close out sales. No idea if we will see the same very high incentives for 2020's, but there were $15k+ Hyundai/dealer incentives for the last of the 2019's with lease deals of $99/mo for the limited ioniq ev, and $79/mo for the base ioniq ev last November. Many of us got several other perks after that, Hyundai passed along state incentives to the customer, plus there were things like additional Veterans day discounts (doubled), DriveBonus from Allstate/Hyundai, and power company rebates. Once in a while, the stars do align.

I do understand, however, from other hobby interests with world wide forums, that cars are much more expensive in other countries.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hyundai does not intend to sell this model in quantity, so the price only has to be as low as necessary to sell the quantity they are targeting.

I'd prefer the price to be lower because I'm interested in purchasing one. As others have said, I expect manufacturers incentives to come into play if they need help selling the volume they want. I'm hoping some great end of year deals come up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm starting to see 2020 Ioniq Electrics at local dealers for the first time. For the limited trim, it seems to start at about $38,000 and almost reach $40,000.

This strikes me as overpriced compared to the competition. There are 2020 Chevy Bolt Premiers available at dealers for about $30,000 after incentives, and the Tesla Model 3 starts at about $40,000. Both of these vehicles have significantly more power and range.

True, the Ioniq qualifies for the tax credit and the others don't -- but that's MY tax credit, not Hyundai's. They seem to be building that into their price, but even after the tax credit, it's about the same price as a Chevy Bolt.

What are your thoughts? I like the way the Ioniq looks (the Bolt is just ugly) but even with local incentives it still seems too expensive.
Oh wow thats crazy. At those prices I wouldn't get the Ioniq. Up here in Canada the Model 3 is 53k taxes in, the Ioniq was about 42k after taxes (plus I got an extra 6k off for trashing my old car which I couldn't do with the Model 3) so for the 16k price difference between the 2 the Ioniq was worth it to me. And up here the Bolt doesn't seem to be selling compared to the Ioniq. TONS still sitting on lots especially with the same 6k discount bonus that I managed to get and with it being the same price as the Ioniq the extra kms wasn't worth it when the Ioniq seemed like a much nicer and more practical car to me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
All electric cars are overpriced as far as I'm concerned. You can get two fossil-powered family cars of the same size and comfort as the Ioniq Electric for the same price.

Still, by stretching my finances and slaughtering my piggy banks, I could just about afford an Ioniq Electric.

In Sweden, the Tesla Model 3 starts at 550,000 SEK compared to the Ioniq Electric starting at 390,000 SEK. Both are qualified for a government subsidy of 60,000 SEK, so the net price will be 490,000 SEK for the Tesla and 330,000 SEK for the Ioniq. (Divide by 10 to get the approximate price in US dollars.)

There is no way that I could possibly afford a Tesla. And even if I could, I'm not so sure that I would want one. Teslas still draw a lot of attention here in Sweden. It's like driving around with a big sign on top saying "here comes a filthy rich guy who likes to show off his wealth".

The Ioniq is very smart looking, but still more anonymous, which suits me much better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I understand the image issue a Tesla may convey, because my wife has the same aversion. Flaunting wealth and exuding superior status is gross. That said, it's equally gross that society tries to shame people for success. I'm sure there's plenty of Tesla owners that just like the car because it's fantastic, and they happen to have the means to purchase one.

The Ioniq appeals to me because it seems to hit the sweet spot for range and utility for my local driving needs. I don't want to purchase more battery than I need to accomplish those trips because conserving resources and money is important to me. It does seem the Ioniq is is overpriced compared to the competition in that regard. I remember one member on a Bolt forum listed cars by price per mile of range, and the Bolt came out ahead of everything. In that metric, I'd think the Ioniq wouldn't do so well.

·
Super Moderator
7,904 Posts
it would have been nice to see 2 battery options the original 28KWh pack and the newer larger capacity so people could choose the smaller cheaper battery if they didn't need the extended range and save some money

i think part of the appeal of the original Ioniq EV was the cost compared to the competition and the fact if you wanted longer journeys the topup to 80% is only 25-30 minutes every couple of hours driving

and as seen in various tests the larger battery don't reduce journey times unless you can reach your destination with charging (so the distance needs to be in the difference in range between the older and newer ioniq EV's 120-170 miles)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think the 28k would have been "cheaper" since they would be producing it only for the few people wanting to buy the "old" Ioniq.

In the 38k version I believe they are using the same battery pack as the 38k Kona, so they can really mass produce it and keep the costs down.

According to quite a lot of reports, the long-trip efficiency is about the same. You charge slower but you do more with one charge so it's a none-issue really. And apart from those long trips (which for most people represent a very small part of their driving), the 2020 is better all around.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I understand the image issue a Tesla may convey, because my wife has the same aversion. Flaunting wealth and exuding superior status is gross. That said, it's equally gross that society tries to shame people for success. I'm sure there's plenty of Tesla owners that just like the car because it's fantastic, and they happen to have the means to purchase one.
Well, in Sweden, we have the Famous Swedish Envy and the Law of Jante.
I guess that in our neighboring country of Norway, things are completely different. There you'll probably be ashamed if you're so poor that you can't afford a Tesla... :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Still can’t afford a Tesla but would get a Kia niro for a few more thousand and get a an extra 25kwh battery. Battery prices have gone down and should have offset the larger capacity battery. There will be discounting in the future like a typical ICE vehicle. This week $7,000 off Hyundai employee sale!! Good old legacy car maker BS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just found out that there's a "Model 3 Standard Range" (not the "Standard Range Plus") that's not listed on Tesla's site that has 220 mile range and no autopilot. 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, otherwise the same. $36,400. Hopefully between this, and the prices that Bolts are going for, the local dealer will be willing to negotiate a fair amount. If not, I don't see how they will sell these in meaningful numbers here in the United States.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just found out that there's a "Model 3 Standard Range" (not the "Standard Range Plus") that's not listed on Tesla's site that has 220 mile range and no autopilot. 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, otherwise the same. $36,400. Hopefully between this, and the prices that Bolts are going for, the local dealer will be willing to negotiate a fair amount. If not, I don't see how they will sell these in meaningful numbers here in the United States.
Agree the Ioniq electric MSRP price is too high, but remember many U.S. buyers will still get the additional $7,500 Fed Tax break (you have to have $7,500 in tax liability), plus a state rebate. So, the U.S. base Ioniq electric is still more like $34,000 - $9,500 = $24,500 compared the Tesla model 3 maybe with $2k off state, at $34,400 (I read that even the reduced Tesla fed tax credit is gone as of Jan 2020).

So, for many U.S. buyers, the Ioniq electric is still $10k less than the lowest price Tesla.

The base Bolt LT in the $20k to $23k range is good competition. I wouldn't want another Bolt, but for some the increased range might be an important factor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agree the Ioniq electric MSRP price is too high, but remember many U.S. buyers will still get the additional $7,500 Fed Tax break (you have to have $7,500 in tax liability), plus a state rebate. So, the U.S. base Ioniq electric is still more like $34,000 - $9,500 = $24,500 compared the Tesla model 3 maybe with $2k off state, at $34,400 (I read that even the reduced Tesla fed tax credit is gone as of Jan 2020). So in reality for many U.S. buyers, the Ioniq electric is still $10k less than the lowest price Tesla.
This is a good point but some people don't qualify for part (or all) of the tax break. It would make the price a non-starter for them.

Here in CA, sales tax is calculated based on the car's retail price, not the transaction price, and certainly not the transaction price after tax credits. So pricing the car high significantly increases the sales tax that a buyer has to pay (not to mention tanking the resale value).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I look forward to the continuing commoditization of automobiles, and hopefully an adoption by the industry to sell at advertised prices just like most every other commodity (following the Tesla pricing strategy). Haggling a price is fun for some, but most people don't have the personality to adequately advocate in their best interest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts