Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. We recently bought the 2020 PHEV and it has been a tough winter. Our car is parked in the underground parking in our apartment. Our spot has an AC outlet - same as the normal AC outlet at everyone's home. I can use it to charge the car, but because it is so cold, I would like to have the car warm up before taking my trip. But because this is a parking lot for all residents in the apartment, I must have my car locked. I would like to be able to plug in the car, have it charging and the heater running inside the car, while I am upstairs. This means the car has to be locked. In Finland where we live, there is usually a little heater inside the car that can be connected to an AC cable. It does not need the car to be unlocked to work. I would like to have that same function... but with the PHEV plugged in and charging at the same time.

I have tried to plug in the car, press the engine button without pressing on the brake. This will turn on the electronics of the car. But when I walk away with the key, the car starts beeping and saying key not inside the car. Does anybody have a solution to this? It would really help us because these days it gets to -20C easily here. Thank you!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
414 Posts
I don't think you can do that with the plug-in hybrid, since its heat comes from running the petrol engine.

It's certainly possible with the Ioniq Electric, though.

By the way - welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
62 Posts
Hello everyone. We recently bought the 2020 PHEV and it has been a tough winter. Our car is parked in the underground parking in our apartment. Our spot has an AC outlet - same as the normal AC outlet at everyone's home. I can use it to charge the car, but because it is so cold, I would like to have the car warm up before taking my trip. But because this is a parking lot for all residents in the apartment, I must have my car locked. I would like to be able to plug in the car, have it charging and the heater running inside the car, while I am upstairs. This means the car has to be locked. In Finland where we live, there is usually a little heater inside the car that can be connected to an AC cable. It does not need the car to be unlocked to work. I would like to have that same function... but with the PHEV plugged in and charging at the same time.

I have tried to plug in the car, press the engine button without pressing on the brake. This will turn on the electronics of the car. But when I walk away with the key, the car starts beeping and saying key not inside the car. Does anybody have a solution to this? It would really help us because these days it gets to -20C easily here. Thank you!
If you have blulink you just access the car on your phone, set temp, and press start car. It will run for about 15 min.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is your underground parking space indoors or outdoors, @ghostsofviikki ?

I don't think it would be wise to run the petrol engine for heat if it's located indoors.

·
Registered
414 Posts
@knutsp has this to say about pre-heating the PHEV:

Perhaps things have changed with the latest model year(s), so that you can actually start the petrol engine for pre-heating now? My previous car was a 2018 PHEV, it had no Blue Link, and I must agree with @knutsp about the inability to pre-heat it.

Legislation may also differ between different countries. It might not be legal everywhere to idle your car for 15 minutes just to heat it.

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
157 Posts
Fit a small tubular heater ( greenhouse heater) under the seat and run the supply lead out to the front grill, ( in my case connected to the block heater connector)
On mine I have a block heater that has its own connection by the grill , so when plugged in using a timer it heats the inside ( tubular heater) and engine ( block heater) at the same time, it’s only on for 30 minutes tops

·
Registered
41 Posts
In Canada (winter temp same as Finland), interior heating of EV/PHEV is definitely a challenge. Things like convenience pre-heating are sacrificed for the higher cause of range, fossil avoidance and driving efficiency. My wife and kids initially grumbled at the hat/mitts/coat requirement for driving in the PHEV in winter, but they got used to it. If your apartment offers "free power" in the parking area, you are lucky and you should follow the suggestion to place a small space heater in your footwell and plug it via extension cord into a smart plug that you insert into the mains allowing ON/OFF activation of the heater from your smartphone.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Regarding the question about walking away from the car with the key in your pocket - Sometimes I start the car and then realize that I forgot to take the garbage can to the street. When I walk away with the key in my pocket the car beeps just a few times. It stops beeping and the car stays on/running. So no problem there. I have a 2018 phev.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have blulink you just access the car on your phone, set temp, and press start car. It will run for about 15 min.
It says "Blue Drive" on the side of the car... not "Blue Link". I assume it's not the same thing? I googled it a bit. doesn't look too promising to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is your underground parking space indoors or outdoors, @ghostsofviikki ?

I don't think it would be wise to run the petrol engine for heat if it's located indoors.
Not a closed space. It's an open space but underground with ventilations all over the place. But yeah I agree with the petrol engine running it's probbaly not a good idea. Also I believe it is forbidden in Helsinki. I was hoping to use the AC to charge the car and heating it at the same time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not a closed space. It's an open space but underground with ventilations all over the place. But yeah I agree with the petrol engine running it's probbaly not a good idea. Also I believe it is forbidden in Helsinki. I was hoping to use the AC to charge the car and heating it at the same time.
Sorry, the AC in the PHEV is not a full heat pump. It can only cool the car, not heat it. For heating, you must start the petrol engine.

As for Blue Link, I don't know which Hyundai models and trims have it in Finland. You should ask your dealer.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I was tempted to install Defa Warm Up (engine pre-heater, 12V charging, cabin air heater) when it was at it's coldest here, a few weeks ago. Didn't, and it would require to plug in another cable. -10 C is actually rare here at south coast.

Experimented a bit with idling it for 5 and 10 minutes with front defrost - looking at the fuel consumption after a short EV trip to go shopping afterwards. It appeared more effective than first thought, and less fuel consuming than feared.

My recommendation for cold, inland type winter climate, would be to install a household type pre-heater outlet at same spot and time as a wall charger, and install full Defa. For less cold climate, use electric seats and steering, plus clothes for the short trips.

As I understand it, the high voltage battery power is not available when car is off - by design.

Btw: I had 12V failure twice during coldest weeks here (-17 to -11 C) and had to use a 12V charger. So my extra socket has come to use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I did not fully understand one thing:
Do you have coupe heater installed in your car? Or you plan to install one?

If there is typical AC outlet I would assume that you are using Hyundai 230 AC cable that was delivered with the car.
What you need is one extension cord and/or splitter plug (which will make your one AC outlet to 2 AC outlets).

Then you can connect both Hyndai AC cabel and coupe heater.

Still you need to check what is the max current that you AC outlet can provide (10A or 16A).
Coupe heaters are usually around 1.2-1.9 kW so if your AC outlet has 16A that you can both charge the car and preheat it with the coupe heater at the same time.

With only 10A not sure if you can do the both at the same time. In 10A case you can charge car before and then switch to preheat the cabin.
But then you do not need extension cord and/or splitter plug beacuse you are conneting only one thing at the time.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Do you have coupe heater installed in your car? Or you plan to install one?
No and no. Almost had a plan for a few days of frustration in the bitter cold days.

If there is typical AC outlet I would assume that you are using Hyundai 230 AC cable that was delivered with the car.
What you need is one extension cord and/or splitter plug (which will make your one AC outlet to 2 AC outlets).

Then you can connect both Hyndai AC cabel and coupe heater.
Outlets is not a problem for me, here at home. Would not split that blue cable. Would be better to access the 230V inside the car, but I guess that would be interfering with the system, hazards, warranty etc.

I would just recommend that, if engaging an electrician/yourself to put up a wall box car charger, also put an ordinary outlet, in case you later want a heating system. If -10C and lower was common, I would have, I think. This winter has been colder than normal winters, at least in North Europe, therefore tempted.

I just have a cheap 230V driven charger/booster, plus extension cord, around at home. A battery powered one - stored in car - would be next. Defa systems, however superior, come with a cost and complexity - has to be a real need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts